Monday, July 13, 2009

Vintage Monday - Old Roses

I collect vintage vases and planters. I guess it's the gardener in me that finds them so irresistable.
I have all styles, shapes and colors but my very favorite are the two handled vases. I think they look so graceful and when I see one, I always imagine what cut flowers from my garden would look like in it.
I have probably about 20 different ones and I'm showing you 2 of them today because they are the two that are in my studio filled with old roses. All of these are the old fashioned english roses by David Austin.

I like to keep cut flowers in my little cottage all season long. It's no secret that these roses are my favorite for beauty and scent. We grow alot of roses here so we always have plenty to cut.

This year our back deck needed to be painted and these are the roses that surround it. Mr. Honey cut some of them and put them in vases for me to enjoy in my studio.

Mr. Honey does NOT arrange flowers...he just finds a vase or two from the shelf, fills them with water, and puts the flowers in. I usually clean them up a bit and take some blooms out and put them in a few bud vases to be placed throughout the house.

I left these roses just the way Mr. Honey put them there. You can see some of the blossoms are spent, and some even have paint on them....but I think they are beautiful just the way they are.

I got a little lost in their beauty and snapped a few close-ups for you to see....I wish you could smell them too....and feel them, the petals are so wonderfully soft and delicate.














I hope everyone is enjoying the summer......and taking time to stop and smell the roses along the way................


post signature

14 comments:

Dawn said...

Lori, they are beautiful!!

Mary said...

I like your roses. I can only put them in the house when my Honey isn't home. He's allergic to the smells. Love your vases too.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I can almost smell them! Just beautiful! :-)

JustCindy said...

The roses are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing the pics of them.

Carrie P. said...

Love those vases. I love roses but don't grow them. The close up pictures are so neat.

Chookyblue...... said...

wow beautiful roses...........

Funoldhag said...

They look so soft and beautiful - and your vases are darling. Enjoy! Carol

Sherri said...

Thanks for sharing your roses...our roses won't be blooming again until September!

Nedra said...

I almost could smell the fragrance coming off the roses all the way through blog land.

Karen said...

Oooooo...they smell soooo sweet;) David Austin's are my favorites;) Thanks for sharing;)

Nielson said...

Gorgeous! I love that some had paint on them--reminds me of Alice in Wonderland!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Beautiful..absolutely magnificent.
Pat

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I couldn't smell your roses, but I sure enjoyed the photos!

Sherry said...

Absolutely beautiful! I can almost smell them & feel the soft petals. Thanks so much for sharing. Those vases are pretty neat too. :) P.S. Good job Mr. Honey

Related Posts with Thumbnails