Thursday, September 3, 2009

Just a few things...

Just a few things to share with you..........
first, the latest blocks that I added to the Family Reunion quilt last week. We always had homemade ice cream (the hand cranked kind) at my reunions....and lots of picture taking.
Old family pictures were always there along with family histories and genealogy charts.
My parents wanted to make sure that I knew where I came from and stories of my ancestors were always shared and available to me.
I read them alot as a girl and I still do. I feel connected to my family members who came before me....I want my kids to have the same experience so about once a month, we have a "Family Night" where we read about thier ancestors.
Since I have grown up reading about those on my side of the family, it's really been interesting for me to gather histories and photos and learn about Mr. Honey's side of the family too.
The kids really get excited and love to learn about thier family and the way things were for them then. Sometimes, we go and visit thier graves and they like that too.We always cut a few flowers from the garden to place there. It makes me feel good to know they also feel that connection and understand where they came from. Those feelings bring so much comfort.


I took this picture at Quilt's Etc. last week (where I'm teaching the class) before I added these last blocks. This is how much we have done so far on the quilt. Sorry, it's not a great photo...it was on a table and I guess I should have stood on a chair.
Here's the latest photo I took of my cute little grandaughter Sophie Belle. I just love her in pink & red and every time she wears this bow, out comes the camera! She likes it when I take her picture.


And one more thing..... I don't know if I've mentioned that Mr. Honey is a fisherman. Not just a once in a while only in the summer fisherman...but a every chance he gets kind of fisherman. His favorite is fly fishing. Utah offers alot of beautiful fly fishing spots. He also fishes Montana and Idaho on a regular basis.
Although last week he caught this one while jigging on the Jordan River which is only a few miles from where we live.
He caught about 30 fish on this trip. Sometimes he gets up early in the morning and goes for a few hours which was the case here. He always takes the kids (or me) whenever we want to go.
This one is a Walleye and it's a nice one. It measured 27" long and about 8 lbs. We have lots of pictures with Mr. Honey holding fish!
Well....these are the kind of things that go on in my life on a weekly basis...just thought I would share... I hope you all have a great holiday weekend....we are headed up to the mountains with some friends to stay in thier cabin........time to relax and enjoy.
post signature

17 comments:

Betsy said...

Lori I love how that picnic quilt is coming along. I can't wait 'till you seel the pattern.
Your grandaughter is a beauty.
DO you wat what your hubby catches? It is so nice that he too has a good hobby.

dream quilt create said...

Sophie Belle is adorable! I can see you in her face. Fly fishing has always appealed to me, but our family doesn't fish......Have a great labor day weekend.

Miss L's Craft Room said...

I love your new pattern! I recently bought the apron and Grandma's kitchen quilt patterns. Lucky me. I found a quilt shop starting a BOM using your apron pattern. I signed right up. I cna't wait to start.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Memories came flooding back when I saw the hand crank ice cream maker. We had a green one. We took turns sitting on the top, covered with a burlap sack, the ice cream maker layered with ice and rock salt while Dad turned the crank. Wonder if my folks still have it.

whitey said...

I thought the Jordan river was to polluted for anything to live in it, that really surprises me how big that fish is!

Kim Walus said...

Your Family Reunion Quilt is turning our really nice and I love all of the images you use. They really remind me of those kinds of gatherings.

Sophi Belle is just adorable. What a sweetie!!!

Have a great weekend with your friends and family!!! I'll be sewing and hanging out with my family. No big plans. Just relaxing.

Carin said...

I love the family reunion quilt, is this one that you are still putting together or do you have a complete pattern? I think I need one of all your patterns, your killing me here lol!

DGD is adorable!

Do you actually eat anything that came out of the Jordan River?

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Sophie Belle is adorable - I know someone said that already, but it needed to be said again!!

little acorns said...

It's so fun to see how your quilt is coming along! But I must say that little Miss Sophie is the cutest! I would have my camera out when she was around too! Too cute!
xo, Bren

Karen said...

Love your latest block. It is wonderful!

amy smart said...

I just love these quilt blocks! I love family reunions and family history too. And what CUTE posterity to add to that family tree! :)

Janice said...

Cool to see Mr Honey and his BIG FISH! Your blocks look great and I love the idea of a family night, don't think it would happen round here, everyone is scattered over the country.

Micki said...

Your blocks are wodnerful and the baby is adorable.
Micki

Karen said...

I always enjoy seeing the blocks you add to your quilts. The camera and ice cream bucket really are a good addition for a family reunion. Though I can't ever remember having an ice cream maker at a family reunion that I have attended. Still sounds good.

Sherry said...

Hi Lori. The Family Reunion quilt is coming together so nicely..love it! I love going thru old family photos & love your family night idea. Sophie Belle is just too cute with that bow. :) Mr. Honey sure had quite the catch with that Walleye...wow! Hope you enjoyed your Labor Day week-end!

Jan said...

Oh Lori! The new blocks are wonderful :) Absolutely beautiful and little Sophie Belle is precious. What an adorable child! Mr. Honey gets a great big "whow" on that fish!!! My Mr. Honey always loved to fish too :)

Nanette Merrill said...

Thanks again for taking the time to be with us on Friday. IT was so fun. I still smile when I think about picking out fabric and how we like the same things. I love my stamps. My daughter is jealous. We are going to Roberts to get more - very soon!

thanks again

Related Posts with Thumbnails