Monday, November 26, 2012

Polka Dot Posies - A New Pattern!!!...


This morning I am introducing another new pattern...yay!!!


 I love basket quilts and
 I have designed many and made several over the years...
and I just had to do another one with my latest line...

Because this line celebrates embroidery...
I was inspired by the many vintage embroidery patterns with baskets of flowers.

Take a look at my quilty version...



9 baskets...each holding a polka dot posy...
and a posy block in each intersection:-)



The baskets are are rotary cut and machine pieced...
using my easy corner triangle method that you all know so well by now!


The sashings are cut from a 
Polka Dot Stitches Rolie Polie with
 1 1/2" "words" strips in the middle.
(at Riley Blake, we call 2 1/2" strips Rolie Polie's and 
we call the 5" and 10" pre-cut squares "stackers")



The border consists of 5" squares and
 "words" in gray for the easy corner triangles...



The posy block consists of a pieced background including the stem...



And the posie and leaves are sewn with a 
super easy machine appliquéd method...
and at the center of each posy is a yo-yo!


The circle and yo-yo pillow pattern is also included...


As well as the instructions for the basket pillow.
Both pillows are made from leftover bits from making the quilt:-)


All posies and leaves are cut from these 3 designer cloth circles in my 
Polka Dot Stitches line...
the circles are 2 1/2" round in real size.


I used all of the circles for flowers and yo-yo's...


I used the gray and green designer cloth for the leaves.


Each circle on the cloth consists of a print from the line on a 
smaller scale and in different colors...
 I even included some designs from my
 Sew Cherry line in a smaller scale too!


60" x 60"
by Lori Holt
of
Bee in my Bonnet


The pillows are fun and the quilt is a nice size for a wallhanging...
a lap quilt...a crib quilt...
or folded on the back of a sofa or chair.
(I always layer lots of quilts in each room of my cottage 
for a cozy quilty home...and I'm sure you do too!)



 I used 5 solid colors to make the baskets.
2 of the solid's that I used are Jade (green) and Daisy (yellow)...
and are not included in my
 Polka Dot Stitches line but go with it very nicely because I like to use the same pantones in all of my lines.
(included in Polka Dot Stitches are the red, aqua and pewter gray)

As you know...I always use solids in my quilt designs. 
I love the way that they go with the prints and give the eye a rest....don't you?


For those of you who have been asking...
here is a list of the
in the order of my photo...
that I have used with
 ALL of my fabric lines so far;

Clean White C100-01
Lt. Gray C100-05
Pewter Gray C100-12
Teddy Bear C100-22
Waterfall C100-33
(not much difference between these 
two aqua's so either will work)
Bear Lake C100-34
Ocean Blue C100-36
Jade C100-43
Green C100-44
Pepper C100-51
Daisy C100-62
Beehive C100-63
Peony C100-82
Hot Pink C100-85

I hope you find this list helpful.
I have been thinking about offering a 
Fat Quarter bundle of these
"Bee in my Bonnet"
solids in my new etsy shop
 so that you can use them when playing with any of my fabric and patterns...
please let me know what you think?


I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and that you will have a quilty kind of day!!!
xx
Lori




22 comments:

dream quilt create said...

I love that quilt pattern and the two pillows! They are adorable. I also love the way you incorporated the text fabric. I never cease to be amazed with your creations!!!

homemade@myplace said...

Everything beautiful!!! ;oD
xxx Alessandra

trish said...

Your pattern is adorable!!
Your sweet cottage design always
tugs at my heart!!
Trish xo

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Such a pretty quilt! Thanks for sharing the list of solids. It's a great idea to carry a bundle of them.

Sasha said...

I love your new pattern Lori!! I think adding a solids stack to your shop would be perfect! It's so nice when you can just buy a whole bundle rather than hunt around in different shops.

Carrie P. said...

cute new pattern. love the pillow and those solid fabrics.

shar said...

Yes, please add the solid fabric.

Jocelyn said...

So very cute!! You have such a great eye for color Lori.

Sewn With Grace said...

Oh my goodness, Lori! You are amazing. Such a fabulous quilt and pillows. Your fabric is to die for, of course! Have a good day!

•stephanie• said...

wonder woman.
that's got to be your secret.
i am once again in awe at the cuteness.
great job!

Sally K said...

Lori, I love the new pattern and can't wait to get one. I would like to see a bundle of solids in your shop to help with my stash and the "Bee" look. I would also like a Sewing Scissors pattern. Will they be back in stock soon? I'm waiting on the new circle templates too! You are so inspiring.

Helen L said...

Wonderful quilt and pillows!!! I already have fat quarters of all your different patterns of this line (but not of every color - had to not COMPLETELY break the budget!!) but now I could use the solids. Let us know if you do put them up in your shop: half yards would be really great to get!! Have a great week!! Hugs from Helen in Healdsburg :-)

Kathleen said...

Pretty pretty pretty! But have I missed the appearance of your new circle rulers/templates? I've been trying to pay attention :o)

Nanette Merrill said...

It is really cute. Love it. Hit it out of the park again.

My Vintage Mending said...

One of these days I am going to break out the aqua on my kitchen and go to town with your fabric line...you just wait...so beautiful...smiles..Renee

Bari Jo said...

Your designs are just tooooo cute. I love the vintage feel of all of them - fabrics and patterns alike! Thank you for the row along, too!

Sheila said...

Beautiful quilt, pattern and fabrics!

Sheila said...

Beautiful quilt, pattern and fabric!

Anonymous said...

Using your circle fabric as you did is brilliant!!!!!
Solids would be wonderful.

Rhonda D. said...

Love your pattern & fabrics! This is another pattern I need to add to
my "to do" list.

Mara said...

I always love a shop that puts coordinating solids with prints so you know what looks good, because when buying from a computer the screen can always trick you, so it is nicer when a shop offers you that option.

Cori said...

OMgoodness, this pattern is so so cute.

Related Posts with Thumbnails