Monday, December 17, 2012

A Pillow and Pillowcase Tutorial...for Dolly!...


After finishing up the Dolly quilt...
I decided to make a cute little pillow and pillowcase to match:)

Here's how I did it...


 I started with two layer cake squares.
(Sew Cherry and Polka Dot Stitches)
Out of one...I cut a 7" x 8" for the pillow...
Out of the other...I cut an 8" x 9" for the case.
I used a 10" long leftover jelly roll strip for the trim. 



I folded the pillow in half and stitched around the 3 open sides...
and left an opening for turning.


I turned right side out and pressed the opening edges 
under 1/4" for ease when sewing it closed.


I stuffed my pillow...
then matched up my stripes and 
pinned to whip stitch the opening closed.


YaY!
Easy peasy ... fast and breezy:)


I pressed my 2 1/2" strip in half with wrong sides together...


And pressed each side to the center.


I laid the edge of my pillowcase on top like this...


And folded my trim over the raw edge and pinned it into place...


Like this.


I top stitched across the top catching both
 the back and front trim at the same time.


Then I folded in half and sewed the 2 sides closed. 
I also ran a zig-zag stitch around the edges
 to stop from fraying and the cut the 
leftover ends of the gingham trim off.


I turned my cute little 
pink Sew Cherry pillowcase right side out ...
and gave it a nice press with a bit of starch.


I placed it over my pillow and smiled...:-)


Dolly quilt and pillow...all ready for her nap.
A fun little addition that took me all of 20 minutes to make.
Have a quilty kind of day my friends!
xx
Lori

13 comments:

janice15 said...

o my goodness, how adorably sweet..I just love this. Happy Holidays with love Janice

Anita said...

Too cute! I would never have thought to make a cute little pillowcase for the pillow...I thought the cute pillow was enough :)

Nedra said...

I'm guessing this will be a present for a special little grand daughter?

Thearica said...

Too stinking cute!

Chase said...

so, lovely!

Granny B said...

Oh, Lori, that is so cute. I'm sure Dolly will love her new bed linens. I made a similar set for a Raggedy Anne and Andy last year, for my granddaughter's Christmas gift. I made the Raggedy Dolls too from an old McCall's pattern. It made a cute set.
Christmas Blessings to you and your family.
GrannyB

Unknown said...

Oh, how cute!! Thank you for the idea for the girls in my life...SWEET!!!

Sasha said...

That is the cutest little pillow case I have ever seen =D

Grandmasewnsew said...

Definitely anyone's definition of "cute"! Thank you for the great tutorial.

Barri-Jayne said...

Very cute, thanks for sharing. Off to make a couple for my friend's daughter...

Barrina x

Nicole said...

This made me smile, I know everyone's said it's cute but it really really is :)

elnorac said...

That's just the sweetest little project!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your new fabric line is fabulous! It will definitely be on my purchase list this year -- and I'll be watching for the projects you make from it. Happy New Year! Florence

Related Posts with Thumbnails