Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Quilty Barn Along - Barn 12 and Easy Flying Geese and "Furrows" Block Tutorial!...


Good morning!
I'm off to a bit of a late start but today it's time for the 

This is #12 and the last block for the first quilty barn quilt!
Can you believe it?
Don't worry...
we still have a few more quilty silo barns to make for the second quilt:)




For this last red barn...
I chose to design a block representing furrowed fields:)


I used my easy flying geese method to make 3 calico furrowed rows...
the block is called 
"Furrows" of course!



It's a perfect companion to my
Vintagey Farm Girl Tractor 
block for the quilt label:)

(I am working on the embroidery for 
the steering wheel and the words right now!)



Okay...
I have showed this method many times before...
but I'm showing you again!
This is how to make the flying geese for the furrow block.

You will need to cut:
6 - 3 3/4" squares for the background
6 - 3 1/4" squares for the geese

(This will make 24 little geese...
you will only need 18 for the block)



I used a 1/2" x 6" Omnigrid ruler to mark stitching lines...
2 lines diagonally down the center...
1/2" apart.
to see my short YouTube video about this ruler:)



Mark both directions...



like this.



Now cut this marked square in half...
(measure in 1 7/8")



and in half again so that you have 4 - 1 7/8" squares.



Repeat for remaining 5 background squares....
4 small marked squares for each large "goose" square!


Lay the first one on top of a goose square (right sides together)
and align corners and sides perfectly.

Stitch directly on the marked line...
add another square and align on the bottom corner and continue stitching.
(squares will overlap in the center, just make sure to match marked lines)



Now stitch on the remaining marked line.
Notice that I chain stitched all six to save time and thread:)



When all marked lines are sewn...
cut down the center like this.



Press towards the little background triangles...
you now have 12 segments shaped like a heart...
cute huh?


Now you can sew one remaining small square to each segment...
(stitch on both marked lines again)



Cut apart...



Press and trim bitty triangles...



off the seam allowances:)



Lay out your furrows block onto your design board.
I used one of each color in each row...


leaving me with one leftover of each color:)



I sewed mine together side by side like this...
Until I had 6 rows of 3.



Using a tailors awl will help keep your seams lined up 
when sewing these tiny geese together!



Press the side by side seams open for less bulk.



Now sew the six rows on top of each other...



and press these seams up and away from the points like this.


"Furrows"
6 1/2" unfinished


Sew your red strips around it for the side of the barn...


And build your barn!


Quilty Barn #12...


Hangin' out with Quilty Barn #11:)

Next Quilty Barn post you will see my quilt
 all together and ready to be quilted!

Have a barn buildin' kind of day!
xx
Lori



P.S. Later I'll show you what I made
 out of my 6 little leftover geese:)

Waste not...want not!



16 comments:

Grandmasewnsew said...

Wow! I live these little geese! And no one could ever accuse you of not taking enough pictures. Thank you for another great tutorial.

Jane @ Handiworking said...

Although it's been many years since I lived there, I was born in Iowa and am definitely putting a barn quilt on my To Make List. Every one of your Quilty barn squares is cuter than the last. Thanks for the tutorials!

Sigrid said...

Oh Lori - you've made me so happy as I've been waiting for the last (#12) Barn Block so I can finish my last barn. Now to sew all my coloured sashes around and..(maybe figure out flickr - so I can show a picture of the end result).

Tammy said...

Love this barn also!!! and what! oh what! can the left over geese BEE :)
Have a nice day!

Kristy said...

Way cute as usual! :-) Reminds me of making all the geese for the row along which I am finally quilting. Thanks for all of your inspiration and cute designs. So glad about your book. It is on my birthday wish list! :-) Thanks again. K-

Unknown said...

I've been looking forward to this since last week. I'm so excited to see it all come together. I've had a blast, you're the best! I'm a visual learner, so I appreciate your detailed tutorials more than you'll ever know!! :)

Jane McN said...

Thank Goodness! For a minut there, I thought you were going to save the itty bitty triangles that you cut off. Glad to hear it's just the extra geese you're using!!
Thanks muchly for your great inspiration

KeyQuilter said...

I've done that geese method before but NOT with the big square marking all at once rather than 4 little squares. Cool!

QuiltDragon said...

Lori, I love the way you made the flying geese! I usually don't do it this way, but this makes perfect sense & I'm going to try it! Thanks again for your great blocks!

Susan P said...

Lori, I emjoyed this tutorial very much. Who comes up with these methods.....so amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely gonna try this.

Cecilia said...

I really hate making flying geese, but this method looks so much easier! How do you do the math to make other size geese with this method? Thank you!

Nanette Merrill said...

I love that little tool/ruler. Great way to make flying geese. Mason got his mission call. He's going to Uruguay Montevideo West Mission and goes into the Argentina MTC on Jan 2. So we have a little time. We are happy. It is a good place for Mason to go. Hope you are well.

Terry Johnson said...

Thank you for another great barn and tutorial.

Terry Johnson said...

Thank you for another great barn and tutorial.

kshackabq said...

You make the best blocks! Thanks for all the fun you provide.

Lois Ruley said...

I have my top put together and am looking forward to seeing your finished tractor block for the label ~~ Thank you so much.
I have tried to post my photos on the Flicker group but it does not seem to let me add them anymore.

Related Posts with Thumbnails