Monday, November 14, 2016

Cozy Christmas Sew Along - Cute Little Trees Tutorial!!


Good morning cute people...
I'm excited to share a new
 Cozy Christmas tutorial for you:)
Look at these Cute little Trees!



I know we have finished our quilt...
 but I'm having fun making my home
 "Cozy for Christmas" 
and I thought I'd share with you 
some of the things that I'm making.


Today I'm showing you how I made these fun and easy 
Cute Little Trees:)



First I decided to use a mix of these 
Cozy Christmas prints for the tree block backgrounds.
I cut them 5 1/2" square.

I cut 16 of them:)



Then I grabbed these two 
Cozy Christmas 
Sew Simple Shapes

I cut interfacing according to the cutting guide...
4" square for the B-14
and 
2" square for the B-1



I traced the shapes onto the interfacing:)



I chose 16 - 4" squares for the trees...



And paired them up with the background squares.



I chose 16 squares for the trunks.
I had some 2 1/2" squares already so I decided to use them.



Then I paired up the trunks with the trees.



I sewed the trunks like this...
leaving the top open for turning.
I backstitched when I stopped and started.



However...
I sewed all the way around
 the traced lines on the trees like normal. 

I trimmed around my sewn lines...
and cut an "X" in the interfacing only 
on the back of the trees for turning.



And pressed them after turning and shaping.



16 cute little triangles...



For 16 Cute Little Trees:)


Now for the appliqué!
I placed the trunk in the center 1" up from the bottom.



The tree goes in the center
and 3/4" down from the top...



Although I pinned and machine appliquéd all of the trunks first.



I just used white thread and a tiny zig-zag stitch.



Then I went ahead and pinned the trees 
and appliqued them in the same way.



I layed all of the blocks out 
and did a final audition for placement.


At this point it would be a great idea
 to sew one of the larger 
Cute Little Buttons
on top of the tree...
or decorate the tree by sewing 
several of the tiny ones on each one.
I didn't do that yet...
because I ran out of time...lol
but I will probably add them later!


I sewed all of my blocks together like this...
to measure 20 1/2" square at this point
 because each block finishes at 5" square.

I had a 22" pillow form so I added 1 1/2" strip borders
 all the way around and made an envelope pillow back.
I like to use envelope pillow backs a lot  
so that I can easily slip it off the form
and use it as a mini quilt as well.
(and also making it easy to
 sew on the buttons later)



I put in on the sofa in my family room to cozy it up for the holidays...
and added my Cozy Snowman Pillow too!


I hope you have fun making your own 
#CuteLittleTrees

Stay tuned for more 
cozy project tutorials
 because they're coming your way!
xx
Lori





10 comments:

kathy said...

This is adorable! Now I have the perfect mini to hang on my little fence.

Tammy said...

I love the scrappy cuteness of your Christmas Tree Pillow. Thank you Lori for another wonderful tutorial! XO

Jen Shaffer said...

These are so adorable!

Little Quiltsong said...

This is so cute! Love this!

Quilts By Laurel said...

This is such a cute idea! I just finished my Cozy Christmas quilt top, so I think I'll make this to go with it! :)

Unknown said...

Oh so cute! What a lovely idea!

Judy said...

That little quilt is adorable!

Unknown said...

I see a pillow in my future. Love this!!

Summer said...

Cute and colourful ♥

Naomi said...

As always, you provide adorable and fun things to create!! Now that I am back from Hawaii I have to finish my Gobble Gobble quilt! Will post pics on IG! Love you Lori, you are amazing!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails