Monday, September 28, 2026

Thanksgiving at Grandma's Sew Along - Fall Flowers Block!!

  


Welcome Quilty friends!!
I'm sew glad that you are here:)



Together we are making the 
Thanksgiving at Grandma's Quilt 
which finishes at
 80" x 96"
It has a pieced flying geese border,
several machine pieced blocks 
and several applique blocks!
 

To make the appliqué blocks, 
 we will be using my 
Sew Simple Shapes called of course...
Thanksgiving at Grandma's!

I'm happy to say that they have arrived
and are shipping everywhere now:) 



The collection that we are using 
for the quilt is...
BAKED WITH LOVE!!

Baked With Love was designed by me... 
and produced and distributed 
to quilt shops everywhere 
by the amazing 

If you would like to know everything about
 Baked With Love
to view both storyboards...
to see all of the fabrics close up
 and to view the notions and ALL of 
the patterns that coordinate with it:)


So let's chat about the
Thanksgiving at Grandma's
 Quilt Fabric Kit.

Several shops are stocking the kit...
both brick and mortar shops
 as well as online quilt shops.
Just do a quick online search
"Thanksgiving at Grandma's Quilt Kit"
to find one.


The start date is October 12th 
for the applique block tutorials
but as I promised you in my 
I am beginning with
 the pieced block tutorials today:)




First up are the Fall Flower Blocks.
Cutting is on page 41 of the guide.
I will sew the pieced blocks
 in the order that they are in the 


My blocks are cut and ready to sew!




I'll be making this quilt using my vintage Singer Featherweight called
"Honest Abe"
I named him after Abraham Lincoln
and his color is that of a shiny 
NEW PENNY
which is one of my Chunky Thread Yarn colors:)


My sewing station is all set up and 
I have everything that I need close at hand:)



Begin by sewing easy corner triangles 
onto the four background rectangles.

Use the center line on the 
Seams Sew Easy Guide
(this new beehive shaped one comes soon!)
or use the Marking Rulers 
if you prefer to draw a 
sewing line directly onto your fabric.


*Take note you will need ONE that is a different direction.
Trim off the seam allowances 
and press seams open:)


I always lay out the block onto my 
Bee in my Bonnet Design Board 
so that I know how it goes together.
That way it's very helpful and 
cuts down on the chance of mistakes:)

On two of the rectangles 
we will add another easy corner triangle 
to make two flying geese.
 

After sewing and trimming,
press the seams open.
I use my Quilters Water Brush
where I have overlapping seams only.
I just apply a little water right onto that spot and then iron.
It helps to press them to lie very flat!


YaY!!


I always place my sewn segments 
under the clapper after pressing.
It makes them even flatter!


I use my 2" x 3 1/2" rectangle 
Trim-It Ruler
to trim up these flying geese:)


You can also use it to square up
 these segments as well. 
The diagonal lines on the ruler 
are very handy for this!


Next lets make the stem.
You will sew an easy corner triangle
 onto one side first...


Then trim and press open...


Then you can add the other one 
onto the opposite side.


Like this!
I use the 2" Trim-It Ruler 
to trim if needed.


Now you can sew your block 
together in three rows...




And then sew the three rows together.

I use my Quick Press Seam Roller,
Quilters Water Brush and Clappers
every time I press my blocks.


I use my 6 1/2" Trim-It Ruler 
for this block.



Sew cute!
Now let's add the leaves.


If you have never
used my applique method before, 
you can save this part until 
after my week one tutorial if you want:)




Place the leaves on straight (horizontally)
 and not on an angle like this, 
about 1/4" from the seam line 
of the large center flower square.


Sue Glue into place to prepare for applique.
Now to make the remaining 3 
Fall Flower Blocks:)



I love my little flower blocks!!
I just knew that I had to 
add them to this quilt. 
I have made them many times 
over the years and I'm sure that 
I will continue to do so:) 



I hope you have fun making yours!
I'll be back on Wednesday 
to show you how I make the 
Log Cabin Blocks.
Until then...
have a Quilty kind of day:)
xx
Lori

Other Places to find me:

No comments:

Post a Comment