Welcome Quilty friends!!
Let's piece more quilt blocks for our quilt:)
We are making the
Thanksgiving at Grandma's Quilt
which finishes at
80" x 96"
It has a pieced flying geese border,
several machine pieced blocks
and several applique blocks!
To make the appliqué blocks,
we will be using my
Sew Simple Shapes called of course...
Thanksgiving at Grandma's!
The collection that we are using
for the quilt is...
BAKED WITH LOVE!!
Baked With Love was designed by me...
and produced and distributed
to quilt shops everywhere
by the amazing
If you would like to know everything about
Baked With Love
CLICK HERE and HERE
to view both storyboards...
to see all of the fabrics close up
and to view the notions and ALL of
the patterns that coordinate with it:)
So let's chat about the
Thanksgiving at Grandma's
Quilt Fabric Kit.
Several shops are stocking the kit...
both brick and mortar shops
as well as online quilt shops.
Just do a quick online search
"Thanksgiving at Grandma's Quilt Kit"
to find one.
The start date is October 12th
for the applique block tutorials
but as I promised you in my
I am beginning with
the pieced block tutorials today:)
FALL FLOWER BLOCKS
to read my tutorial:)
On Wednesday I did the tutorial for the
LOG CABIN BLOCKS
to read my tutorial:)
Next up are the Broken Dishes Blocks.
Cutting is on page 43 of the guide.
I will continue sewing the pieced blocks
in the order that they are in the
My 3 Broken Dishes Blocks
are cut and ready to sew!
I have a quick method that I have used
to make these blocks for quite a few years.
I also have done many tutorials
in the past on this method.
if you want to watch one
that I did on my YouTube channel:)
Okay!
With that being said,
Let's get started:)
The Broken Dishes Block is made up of
4 segments and each segment is sewn
exactly the same way.
First I'm going to show you
how I make one segment at a time just for tutorial reasons but take note that I
normally chain piece the
four segments at the same time!
First I start by making a four patch
just like it's laid out on my
design board above.
I press the seams open and use my
Quilters Water Brush
only where the seams intersect.
This segment should measure
4 1/2" square
so I use my 4 1/2" Trim-It Ruler
to trim it up if needed!
Next I add the easy corner triangles
onto each corner...
Starting with 2 opposite sides...
Trimming an approximate 1/4" seam allowance...
And pressing my seams open.
Now I can add the remaining 2
onto opposite sides as well.
Seams pressed open:)
I also use my 4 1/2" Trim it Ruler
at this point again.
This segment is done and easy peasy!
Now I'll sew the remaining
three segments the same way...
Now that I have my Quilters Water Brush,
I LOVE pressing all of my seams open
for a flatter, more accurate quilt block:)
I use my 8 1/2" Trim -It Ruler
to square it up if needed:)
One 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" Broken Dishes Block:)
And just like that,
I have all three Broken Dishes Blocks
completed:)
These blocks are fun to make and I hope
that you enjoy making yours:)
I'll be back on Monday
to show you how I make my
Checkered Tablecloth Blocks.
Until then...
have a Quilty kind of day:)
xx
Lori
































No comments:
Post a Comment