Monday, September 16, 2019

Granny's Garden Sew Along - Week Four!!


Hello again!
It's time to make more flower blocks:)
YaY!



It's Week Four in the 



76" x 86"



Today's tutorials are for blocks 
Thirteen - Fourteen - Fifteen and Sixteen

Here is a link to the 
week one video 
if you would like to reveiw.


We are using Granny Chic Fabric...


And Granny's Garden Sew Simple Shapes:)


Okay...Let's get planting!!



Sew Simple Shapes for Block Thirteen:
2 - I 5
4 - I 19
1 - I 20
Cut your stem 5" long
 and press one end under.



After tracing the I 19 shapes...
mark the center using the 
center marks on the shape.

Draw a line 1/4" away from the
 center mark on both sides...
or in other words mark two lines
 1/2" apart in the center.

These will be your petals for the flowers...



And you will need to sew
 on your newly marked lines too:)



After sewing...
trim...and cut an "X" 
in the interfacing for turning.

No clipping needed on any of these shapes.



Turn...shape and press. 
All ready for pinning and glue basting!




I used the 10 1/2" Trim-It Ruler
 to check all of my basting placements.



Block Thirteen is ready for applique:)


Sew Simple Shapes for Block Fourteen:
4 - I 1
1 - I 25
1 - I 27
Besides the 9" Shabby Cloud circle
 you will need a 4" Shabby Cloud circle...
both using the Circle Ruler set.


You should have 8 - 4 1/2" squares
 cut for this block.
We are going to make another dresden 
just like I showed you last week...
except each square is scrappy:)



After marking your line on the back
 of four of the squares...
match them up like this 
to make 4 half square triangles.
They should each measure 4 1/2" square.



Make your pinwheel block like this.
It should measure 8 1/2" square.



Now to sew all of the shapes for the block!



Sewn and ready for trimming and clipping.

Make sure that the cleavage points
 on the dresden match up right on the seam.



Clip each cleavage on the dresden
 and the scalloped circle.
Cut your "X's" and turn.



Look how sweet this scrappy dresden is!!
I love it:) 
Shaped and ready for 
pinning and glue basting.




I started out with the center first.



And added that onto the green 
scallop circle and finally the
 dresden and onto the large circle.

Once again I used all of the lines
 on the ruler for placement.



I'll add buttons to this block at the end.
Block Fourteen is ready to applique:)


Sew Simple Shapes for Block Fifteen:
2 - I 10
5 - I 15
Use the 2" ruler from the set
 to make the flower center.
Cut your stem 6" long
 and press one end under.



Sew your shapes and after trimming
 clip both cleavage in each tulip shape.

Cut your interfacing and turn.



Just a reminder of how important 
this Point to Point Turner is.
This is what my shapes
 look like after turning.
There is no way that 
I could shape it without this tool.
I have tried many...
but this is by far my favorite
 and the only one that works for me.



I know I've told you this before 
but this is a close up of
 when I turn it sideways while
 GENTLY pushing out the points.


All shaped up...
 lined up and ready to go!



Stick in your pins...



And glue:)


Use your ruler for placement...of course!


And just like that...
 this cute little aqua flower is 
ready for planting/applique.


Sew Simple Shapes for Block Sixteen:
7 - I 3
2 - I 6
1 - I 20
Cut your stem 5" long 
and press one end under.



Sew...



Trim...
(no clipping needed)



Turn and shape!!



Under the ruler:)


Block Sixteen ready for applique:)



Please share your progress with us!



Oh my goodness!!!
 I just can't tell you how much
 I am loving this sew along!!

I could make flower blocks FOREVER 


Thanks so much for 
gardening with me this week:)
I'll meet you right back here 
next week
to plant more flowers:)
xx
Lori

P.S. If you are just joining us
 be sure to click on the links below 
for the previous Granny's Garden
 posts and tutorials.








3 comments:

Lenore said...

Love it, have what I need to get started, just have to start. The fabric is beautiful.

MJ said...

Lori I am so enjoying this sew along. I never really thought I could do applique this way, I always did raw edge with heat and bond. I am not hand sewing the appliquƩ this time, but if I do another one I just might try the hand applique.n Thanks so much for this lovely quilt!!

Rosa said...

Wow, it`s abaolutely beautiful.Great tutorial.Thanks!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails