Monday, November 4, 2019

Granny's Garden Sew Along - Week Eleven!!


Hi there:)



Welcome to Week Eleven in the 
Granny's Garden Sew Along



We are using Granny Chic Fabric...



And Granny's Garden Sew Simple Shapes...



to make the Granny's Garden Quilt:)



Today we are making the last two
 Flower Blocks!!



Let's start sowing:)



Sew Simple Shapes for Block 41:
2 - I 6
5 - I 8
1 - I 20
Cut the stem 5" long and
 press one end under.



There is no clipping needed 
before turning in this block:)


All shaped and ready to go!


Pin and glue...



Use the 10 1/2" Trim-It Ruler 
to align and center...
and adjust where needed:)



Flower Block 41 ready for applique:)


Sew Simple Shapes for Block 42:
4 - I 4
1 - I 21
1 - I 28
Use the 6" Circle Ruler from
 the set for a Shabby Cloud Circle



After sewing you will need to 
clip between each scallop before turning.



Turned...shaped and pressed:)



I did my center first...



Ands added it to the scallop!



Then I glue basted it onto the large circle.
Flower Block 42 is ready for applique.
YaY!



After the quilting I'll add buttons to it:)



Applique and applique!


Afterwards...
applique them to their
 background squares.



Okay fast forward because
 I am finished 
with the applique on 
all of the flower blocks...
so it's time me to trim them all down to
 10 1/2" square using the 
10 1/2" Trim-It Ruler.


Make sure your large circles are
 centered
BEFORE you do any trimming.

I trim 2 sides first then turn
 and trim the remaining 2 sides.


And this is what Flower Block 42 
looks like after applique and
trimming down to 10 1/2" square:)
Now I only have 41 more to trim up lol


Now it's time to move on to the border!
You will need 4 - I 11 shapes
 for the corners and 
26 -  I 31 shapes for the scallops.
*Take Note:
When tracing the scallop borders...
center and line up the top edges like this.


*We want to keep the fabric and
 the interfacing straight throughout
 this whole process...
and especially when sewing...
so keep it all straight by pinning...
and line up the top edge and 
side edges of the fabric as well.


When sewing...
don't sew on the side
 lines that you traced...
just sew along the bottom like this:)


All border pieces sewn 
and ready for trimming:)


Start by trimming along the top like this...
and clipping the cleavage
 between each scallop.
Of course you do not need to
 cut the interfacing to turn
 because the bottom and
 the sides are not sewn:)


After turning...
shape each scallop gently
 and press back into shape!
Now you could lay it right onto 
one of the 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" 
border rectangles just like this...
but let me explain something first!


See these lines on the I 31 template?
I wanted you to have a choice
 on how wide your scallop border is.
(not just for this quilt
 but for other projects that 
you will want a scallop border for as well)

The measurements indicate how wide
 the finished scallop will be.


I'm going to be using the 
1 1/2" finished size 
so now is the time to trim to that line...
which is exactly 1" from the top edge.
So I trim just like this!
Easy peasy.
If you want yours to be wider than mine...
only trim off 1/2" and 
it will finish at 2".
If you don't trim any off at all
 it will finish at 2 1/2"


For the side trimming...
 I used my traced line on the side
 as a guide and trimmed directly
 onto the line like this.
 The straight part that's left 
sticks out and measures 1/4" 
and will tuck into the 1/4" seam allowance.
Easy Peasy again!!


Next...glue baste each scalloped applique onto a border rectangle...
centering and lining up both the
 sides and top edges...


like this:)
Now this block is ready for applique...
and by the way that is all that needs 
to be appliquĆ©d because all of 
the other edges will be 
sewn into the quilt top by machine.


All 26 border rectangles
 have the scallop glue basted
 and ready for applique:)


Now for how I do the corner pieces.
I shaped them and set them aside
 and will applique them last
 after the entire quilt top is sewn together.
I'm doing this so that I can
 make sure to place them
 exactly where they need to go!


On page 11 of the 
Sew Along Guide are the instructions on sewing the quilt top together...
it's super easy construction.

Join me back here next week 
and I will have photos of my 
finished quilt and close ups
 of how it was quilted:)

And goes what?!
I will also have another
 fun tutorial for you...
YaY!
Our garden has been planted:)
xx
Lori


Click on the links below 
to view each week of this sew along!!

10. Week Nine





3 comments:

Linda Cancilla said...

Lori,
I am so pleased that you have different dimensions for the scalloped edge. I have always wanted to put a scalloped edge on so many of my projects but was unsure how to do it. This has now added another dimension to my quilting.
Thanks for this wonderful tutorial. I can't wait to see my finished product. I also can't wait for the next project.
Linda

Linda Cancilla said...

Lori,
Thank you so much for the different dimensions on your scalloped edge. I have always wanted to put scalloped edges on many of my quilts but never knew how. This has added a whole new skill set to my work.

Thank you for this wonderful tutorial and I am looking forward to the next tutorial.

Linda

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for letting me be part of this group! Anxious to get started

Related Posts with Thumbnails