Monday, September 23, 2019

Granny's Garden Sew Along - Week Five!!


Well hello there!


Welcome to Week Five in the 



This is the quilt we are making ...
Granny's Garden Quilt
76" x 86"


And we are using Granny Chic fabric:)


And Granny Chic Sew Simple Shapes:)


This weeks tutorials are blocks 17 thru 20...


So let's get planting!


Sew Simple Shapes for Block 17:
2 - I 5
3 - I 23
Use the 2" Circle Ruler from the set
 for the 3 flower centers
Cut center stem 7" long and
 press one end under
Cut side stems 2 1/2" long and 
trim those ends on opposite diagonals.


After you have sewn and trimmed 
you will need to clip in-between
 each flower petal before turning.



Turn...shape and press:)



This is what my block looked like
 when laying it out.
Of course I used the 
10 1/2" Trim-It Ruler
 for placement...



then I glue basted and pinned:)
It's all ready for applique!


Sew Simple Shapes for Block 18:
4 - I 13
1 - I 21
1 - I 29
1 - I 30


Cleavage areas that need to be 
clipped on this block are 
on the star and the heart.



And now for the glue basting.



First I glued the four hearts
 and the circle
 onto the Shabby Cloud 
octagon shape like this.

Notice that points of the 
octagon are centered with the
 center of the hearts.



Then I glued the octagon onto 
the center of the star like this:)


I then placed it on the circle background 
for pinning and glueing.


After my quilt is completed 
I may put buttons in-between
 all of the star points!


Ready for applique:)


Sew Simple Shapes for Block 19:
2 - I 2
1 - I 13
4 - I 21
1 - I 24
1 - I 30
Use the 4" Circle Ruler 
from the set and make the
 smaller Shabby Cloud circle.

Cut your stem 3" long and 
press one end under.
(for some reason mine is not in my photo)


Cleavage areas that need to be 
clipped on this block are on
 the heart...flower and star.



I took a few close up photos of 
turning this small leaf.
As I have said before...
on small pieces like this 
I turn one half first like this
 because I think its easier.



Also remember to turn the tool sideways 
when gently pushing out any points 
in each shape.
I think that really helps as well.



All turned and shaped...
it just needs a quick press!



Now for the basting:)



Just like the previous block ...
I did the heart flower 
onto the center circle first.



Then glued that to the scalloped circle...



Then glued that onto the 
center of the star like this.
*take note that this star is turned one quarter of a turn compared
to the star in the previous block:)



Time for pinning onto the circle
 and then final glue basting.



Ready for applique:)


Sew Simple Shapes for Block 20:
1 - I 25 
This is another dresden like I have 
shown you before in previous blocks 
which consists of these two aqua prints.

You should have cut 4 - 4 1/2" squares 
from each one.
1 - I 27
Use the 2" Circle Ruler from 
the set for the center.


We are going to make this dresden 
just like I showed you previously 
in Blocks 11 and 14.
Pair up the 4 1/2" squares ...



and sew from corner to corner...



to make a total of 4 half square triangles.
They should each measure 4 1/2" square.



Sew them together into an
 8 1/2" square pinwheel like this.



Again...make sure that the cleavage
 points are sewn right on the seams. 



After sewing...
trim and clip the cleavage areas
 in the dresden and the 
medium circle with tiny scallops:)



Turned...shaped and pressed 
and all ready to pin baste:)



I used my little Cute Cuts Ruler 
to make sure that my circle was
 in the center before I glued it.



And just like that...
Block 20 is ready for applique as well!



now applique...applique...applique and applique:)


You have just planted four 
more flowers in your 
Granny's Garden Quilt.

I hope you are having as much fun
 growing them as I am:)



They look so pretty on their 
square background prints!

Thanks for joining me this week 
and next week we will 
plant four more flowers 
for our quilt garden:)
xx
Lori

P.S. If you are just joining us
 be sure to click on the links below 
for the previous Granny's Garden
 posts and tutorials.









3 comments:

Cheri said...

I haven't done interfacing turned applique for a long time but this quilt has returned me to it. The colors are so fresh and bright. Thanks for your inspiration.

Carla said...

Love the fabrics you chose. The blocks are sew pretty!

Kim Patterson said...

I want to try your interfacing appliquĆ©! I’ve done needle turn appliquĆ© for years- but it’s so time consuming! I could do so many more projects with this! šŸ˜šŸ˜

Related Posts with Thumbnails