Monday, March 25, 2019

Farm Sweet Farm Sew Along - Week Nine - Cow and Beehive Block!!


Well hello and welcome!!
It's the very last
 block tutorial in the


Today we will be doing the
 very last block...
Cow and Beehive!

Grab your 
 and let's get started:)




Grab your Farm Girl Vintage fabric
 pieces that you have cut for this block:)



Here are all of mine...ready to sew!
Sew Simple Shapes 
that you will need are:
H1 - 1
H4 - 3
H5 - 1
H10 - 1
H11 - 4
H12 - 1
H15 - 12
H17 - 1
H19 - 1
H27 - 1
H35 - 1
H36 - 2
H37 - 1
H38 - 2



You will need to cut your
 prepared bias strips 
into these lengths:
1/4" geen for flower stems- 
one 7 1/2" - three 6" and one 2 1/2"
(I forgot to put the 2 1/2" in the photo)

1/2" dk.teal for the beehive stand - 
one 10" and one 4 1/4" with both ends
 of that one pressed under 1/4"

Cut two 1/4" ones 
2" long for the beehive stand brackets

1/4" wide coral-
cut three 1" long strips and
 press one end under on each.

For the cat tail and legs...
use the strip that I had you cut 
on the bias for the 3/8" maker and
 curve the shape for the tail when pressing.

The legs are not curved but I 
used the same strip for those 
and each leg is cut 3" long 
with both end pressed under 1/4"




Before you sew your shapes...
take one of the H-38 pieces(a cow spot) 
 that you traced and draw a line up 
from the bottom about 3/4"...



Like this.
This line is a new sewing line 
for ONE of the cow spots.
This one goes across the top of her back:)



Here are my pieces after they
 have been sewn and trimmed.
The pieces on the mat are ones 
that have inner curves and cleavage
 areas that need to be 
clipped before turning.



Turn and shape all of your pieces 
using the point to point turner.
Make sure that your background 
linen edges are zig zagged or served.



Before I layed my pieces
 out for glue basting...
I embroidered the barn cats face!
I used 3 strands of Aurifloss for
 everything because his face is tiny:)


Also take note that I cut one end off 
of the H-10 Sew Simple Shape 
to use for the door on the beehive:)



When I laid out the udders...
 I pinned one leg down first and then 
the udder and the back leg on top.
I trimmed the large circle used
 for the udder down for less bulk.



Here's a close up of my barn kitty:)
You cam make your tail longer
 or shorter...you're the boss 
of your own block!



This is where I put the spot on the cow...
the one that I had you 
mark a line on before sewing.



This block finishes at
 12" tall x 19" wide.
You will trim it down to 
12 1/2" x 19 1/2" 
when applique is complete.

When you are laying out your block...
do not let the pieces
 be wider than 18 1/2"...



Or taller than 11 1/2".



Once you have pinned everything down...
check your measurements one more time...



And it's time to use your Sue Glue!



Remove the pins...
lay your rulers on top with 
something heavy on top of that 
and let your glue dry 
for 10 to 15 minutes.



Trace your embroidery lines on and applique!


Fast forward and it's all done!
I used 3 strands of dark gray Aurifloss
 for the top of the beehive 
and the hens legs, eye and beak.

Embroider the hen's comb and wattle 
just like the others:)
I used the brown Aurifloss for the 
cows eyes and horns...
just like the goat block!


I used 2 of the Nutmeg colored
 tiny buttons for her nostrils:)


The 1/4" sized collection 
comes in this bag of 


I painted the lid of one of my 
original Cute Little Button jars
 yellow and put a few little 
packages in there to keep and use...cute!



I got so excited to add the buttons
that I almost for got to 
trim the block down first:)

You will need to trim this block to 
12 1/2" tall x 19 1/2" wide.
Take note...
that is 19 1/2" for this one 
which is 1" wider than
 the last two blocks...



so you will need to use 
a wide ruler for that part.



Now to sew on the rest of the
 buttons onto the flowers:)



Yippee and YeeHaw!!!

The last block is completed 
and you can now sew your last row together:)

It should measure 12 1/2" tall and be 55 1/2" wide just like the first two rows.

All of the tutorials are now completed 
and I have loved doing each 
and every one of them for you:)


Refer to your sew along guide 
where all of the measurements 
for putting the quilt together 
are there for your convenience.

Next week for the big finish 
I'll show you my quilt 
all quilted and bound!
And...
I may just have a fun surprise
 for you as well:)
xx
Lori








3 comments:

Debra Campbell said...

I have really been enjoying your tutorials.

Unknown said...


Lori this has been the best group sew along! I have learned so much and have had a great time! Thank you for your hard work in putting it all together.

Penny Benton

Unknown said...

Lori this has been the best group sew along!
I have learned so much and have
had a great time! Thank you
for your hard work in
putting it all together.

Penny Benton

Related Posts with Thumbnails