Monday, October 7, 2019

Granny's Garden Sew Along - Week Seven!!



Good morning gardeners:)


Can you believe that we are at week seven?





We are using Granny Chic Fabric...



And Granny's Garden Sew Simple Shapes...

to make the Granny's Garden Quilt:)




This week's tutorials are 
Flower Blocks 25 thru 28


Sew Simple Shapes for Block 25:
8 - I 1
1 - I 21
1 - I 29
1 - I 30



After sewing you will need to clip the cleavage in the star:)



all shaped up and ready 
for basting to the circle.



I started by pinning and then 
glue basting the flower onto the hexagon.

Take note that the hexagon in
 this block has the flat part on the top.



Then I added the hexagon
 onto the star center.
Take note that the star for
 this block is pointed at the top.



Then I glued the star onto the circle...



and used my 10 1/2" Trim-It Ruler
 to make sure it was centered correctly:)



Flower Block 25 all ready for applique:)


Sew Simple Shapes for Block 26:
1 - I 7
4 - I 11
As per the 
You should have cut
 4 - 1 1/2" x 4 1/2" strips 
to piece the leaves
 before you sew the shape.

Cut your stem 5" long and 
press one end under for the bottom.


For the leaves...
piece the green strips together 
first and press the seams open.
Then you can place your traced 
I 11 shape on top and stitch.

This is just like I showed you on Block 5:)



No clipping any shapes in this block!



All shaped and ready to go.
Don't you love how the leaves 
look with 2 green fabrics?



I used my ruler to center my granny tulip.



Flower block 26 is all ready for applique:)


Sew Simple Shapes for Block 27:
4 - I 2
4 - I 13
1 - I  21
1 - I 25
Use the 6" ruler from the set
 for the smaller Cloud Shabby circle.


After sewing you will need to 
clip between the 
flower petals before turning.



You will also need to clip 
the cleavage in each heart:)



Now for the pinning and glue basting:)



I started with the smaller circle first.



Then glued it to the large flower:)


 

Then onto the circle...
using my 10 1/2" Trim-It Ruler to center it.



Flower Block 27 ready for applique:)



Sew Simple Shapes for Block 28:
2 - I 2
2 - I 5
6 - I 13
3 - I 21
Cut center stem 7" long and 
press one end under.
Cut the side stems 2 1/2" and 
trim the bottoms at a diagonal.


For this block you will need to clip 
the cleavage in the top of the heart shapes.


Well whoops.
When I was shaping this heart
 I pushed a little too hard 
and poked through the fabric.

This happens once in a while 
but most of the time I can fix it
 instead of sewing another one...
and here's how I do it.


I place a little glue on those 
little frayed pieces 
right where it poked through...


And then fold them over and hold 
between my fingers until those 
frayed pieces stay glued to the 
back side of the interfacing 
just over the edge...


Like this:)


Okay...
now with that little whoops behind me 
all of my pieces are ready for pinning:)


I know that I always say this but
 I cannot say enough how invaluable
 using the lines on my ruler are
 to make sure each piece is 
where it needs to go.


Flower Block 28 all ready for applique...


and that makes all four:)


When they are appliquéd to each circle...
then you can applique them onto
 their background squares:)

Don't forget to use the hashtag
#GrannysGardenSewAlong
when you post your blocks on 

I'll meet ya'll right back here
 next week and I'll have 
four more Flower Blocks for you:)
xx
Lori

P.S. If you are just joining us
 be sure to click on the links below 
for the previous Granny's Garden
 posts and tutorials.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails