Monday, September 2, 2019

Granny's Garden Sew Along - Week Two!!


Good morning!
Are you ready to plant more flowers?


It's week two in our 



76" x 86"


We are using Granny Chic Fabric...


and Granny's Garden 
Sew Simple Shapes
to make our quilt!


This week's tutorials are 
Blocks Five - Six - Seven and  Eight

Let's get started!!



Sew Simple Shapes for
 Block Five are:
2 - I 11
1 - I 17
1 - I 19
You will need to cut your stem 5" long 
and press one end under.

Don't worry about the green fabrics 
for shape I 11 being smaller...
it's because we are going to
 piece them together to make each 
of the leaves from two fabrics:)


Sew them together using a 
very scant 1/4" seam allowance 
and press the seams open like this 
so that they will lie flat when 
you sew the shape and appliqué.



Then just sew them 
along with the other shapes:)



After sewing and trimming 
you will need to clip each 
cleavage on the flower:)



Use the point to point turner to shape and then give them a quick press!

Keep in mind that the smaller pieces
 always take a little longer
 to turn and shape...
but stick with it...
Patience and practice has its rewards!

In last weeks video I talked about 
when doing the points I turn the 
shaping tool sideways when 
gently pushing them out.
if you would like to watch the video again:)




Time to glue baste!



Block Five all ready for applique:)

Now let's move on to the next flower!


Sew Simple Shapes for Block Six:
4 - I 6
4 - I 10
1 - I 21

No stems needed for this one...
and after sewing...



No clipping needed either...
just trim...turn...shape and press!


You can press your background circle
 in half  both ways to help 
when glue basting your pieces.
Make sure you press on the
 fabric side when you do.

Be sure to take advantage of 
all the lines on the 
10 1/2" Trim-It Ruler 
when laying out your blocks...
it really helps to 
get all things centered:)

I always lay my ruler on top of
 each block after glue basting...
just to make sure the pieces 
are where I want them to be.



Block Six all ready for applique!



Sew Simple Shapes needed for Block Seven:
4 - I 10
3 - I 14
Cut the main stem 7" long 
and press one end under
Cut the two short stems 2 1/2" long
 and trim each end on opposite diagonal.
The diagonal ends will 
tuck under the main stem.



After sewing your shapes...
make one clip in the 
cleavage area of each heart.



Turn...shape and press:)



Once again...
use the 10 1/2" Trim-It Ruler 
to help line everything up.
I lay it on top of my 
pieces after glue basting.

If something looks out of place...
I can easily pull that piece off
 and reposition it and then glue it again.



Block Seven all ready for applique:)


Sew Simple Shapes for Block Eight:
4 - I 10
4 - I 15
1 - I 21
Cut 4 stems 2" long



After sewing and before turning...
clip the two cleavage areas
in the top of each tulip shape.



Ready for glue basting:)
Once again...
you can press your background circle
 in half both ways to help for placement.



After glue basting check your placement:)



Block Eight is ready for applique...YaY!




After you've appliquéd 
the flowers onto the circles...


You can applique them 
to their background square.

I don't think that I'm going to
 trim mine up until the very end...
 but you can if you would like 
 and you can even sew row one together:)


Thanks for joining me today 
for this weeks tutorials:)
Remember to plant your flowers
 at your own speed...
because this is your garden:)

Make sure to add your progress photos
 onto your social media and use the hashtag

I'll meet you there 
and also right back here next week!!
xx
Lori

P.S. If you are just joining us
 be sure to click on the links below 
for the previous Granny's Garden
 posts and tutorials.









1 comment:

GREETJE said...

Thanks for this wonderful sew along.

Related Posts with Thumbnails