Monday, November 11, 2019

Granny's Garden Sew Along - The Big Finish and Granny Flower Quilt Label Tutorial!!


YaY! 

My Granny's Garden Quilt 
is finished and I can't wait to
 show it to you up close and personal!!


This is the "Big Finish" post of our


 I am not quite finished playing 
with Granny Chic Fabric or with 
Granny's Garden Sew Simple Shapes
 so stay tuned for a few more projects!

Okay...now to show LOTS of photos 
of my Granny's Garden Quilt...


And then I'm going to show you
 how I made this 
Granny Flower Quilt Label:)
PS. The quilt that you see underneath 
is one of many that I've made
 using vintage sheets...
I just love vintage linens:)


First I put my Granny's Garden Quilt 
on the bed so that I could 
take lots of close up pictures.
I want to show you so that you can
 see the blocks and the amazing quilting
 done my friend Juli Stubbs...
she is just so sweet and always does
 such a beautiful job and on the 
tightest of deadlines too!
On this quilt she did tight quilting
 behind the large circles and then 
simple outline around the
 appliqué in each one.

By the way...
I'll be making some pillowcases from
 Granny Chic Fabric but for now
 I think this set of vintage pillowcases
 looks great with my quilt.

Okay...onto the photo parade!!






















Now let's talk about the quilt label:)
I wanted to show you how you can
 add a label to your quilt
 AFTER it's been quilted...
as well as BEFORE.

The most common time to 
add a label is of course before quilting...
but sometimes we forget...
or we run out of time before 
we have to get it to the quilters...
or we didn't think it needed a label
 and then afterwards decide that it did 
but thought it was too late.

Well...no worries because
 I've got you covered!

I'm going to show you how simple
 it is to add a label afterwards 
by using Sew Simple Shapes and "simply"
 hand appliqué onto the backing fabric 
of the quilt and not
 through all of the layers.



What you will need to cut 
for your flower label:
8 - 3" scrappy squares for the flower
(we will use I-25 for these)
1 - 3" square from Shabby Cloud
1 - 2" square for flower center
2 - 2" x 4 1/2" for leaves



Sew Simple Shapes we are using are:

 I-5 for the leaves
I-21 for smallest circle
I-24 for the dresden flower
and for the Shabby Cloud circle
 use the smallest in the
 Circle Ruler Set.


You will also need to cut the same size interfacing for the shapes with the 
exception of the 3" squares...
just cut one 5 1/2" square 
of interfacing instead.
Trace the shapes onto the interfacing.



You will need to cut a stem 6" long 
and press one end under:)



Remember in week three when I showed you 
how to make a dresden flower using 8 squares?
We also made a scrappy one
 like this in week four.

(Link to each week 
is at the bottom of this post)

Well...you make this one 
in the exact same way...
the only difference is that you 
start out with 3" squares
 instead of 4 1/2" and 
we will use I-24 dresden shape
 instead of I-25 which is the largest.

So...after making 4 half square triangles...
 sew them together into a 
pinwheel block like this.
It should measure 5 1/2" at this point.



And don't forget to press your seams open 
so that your flower will lie flat:)


Now it's time to sew all the shapes!



Make sure that each cleavage point 
is on the seam when you are 
sewing your dresden flower.



Trim them up and cut the "X" for turning...



Be sure to clip the cleavage 
in the flower before turning.



Shape and press!



I Sue Glued my small circle in the
 center of the Shabby Cloud circle first.
I'm using a Micron Pigma Pen 
to write because it is permanent 
on fabric and will not bleed.



I wrote the name of the quilt...
wrote my name and wrote the year.

Simple but effective in labeling 
and documenting my quilt...
in a super cute way!



Then I appliquéd the circles onto
 the center of the dresden flower.



Then I Sue Glued the entire flower...
stem and leaves onto the
 bottom corner of my quilt.


Then I appliquéd as usual...
 making sure that I only went through
 the backing fabric and I hid 
my knots underneath the applique.

I used the Cloud colored thread from 
the Granny Chis Aurifil 
to do the flower and did not 
change color for each petal.


I love this cute little 
Granny Flower Label 
and I hope you do too!

Now for some outside quilt photo shots!



I always try to get some photos outside 
if the weather permits because
 I love the natural light.

Yesterday the weather here was
 windy and cool but sunny and so 
here is what we ended up with!


Of course Toby always has to be 
front and center...
checking out the quilt



And expecting us to throw the ball
 for him even though we are 
obviously kinda in the middle of something:)


Wind is blowing and 
Mr.Honey and Sterling trying 
to keep the quilt straight...



Finally a pretty good shot of the entire quilt...as good as expected in the wind!


Oh my goodness!!!
 I just can't tell you how much
 I love and adore this quilt.

I love and adore that you are
 making it with me...
I hope you are enjoying it
 as much as I did.

Again...
stay tuned for more Granny Chic 
and next week I'll show you
 what I'm doing with the extra 
"surprise" Sew Simple Shape in the set!
xx
Lori

Click on the links below 
to view each week of this sew along!!

10. Week Nine








8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sew beautiful! Can't wait to finish mine. I have had sew much fun making this appliqué quilt. Love, love, love it!!!!

Martine Huysecom said...

Dear Lori,your quilt is really beautiful.I have not started yet but I will soon. Whishing you all the best from rainy Belgium. Martine.

dany said...

superbe, j'adore!!!!

Helen L said...

gorgeous quilt!! I love everything about it!!! Now I need to start mine: I'm only just a little behind!! :-D Hugs, H

Ulrikes Smaating said...

Hej Lori,
what a wonderful Quilt, worked so well :0) and the label is so cute, love your work! thank you for inspire me! greetings from denmark, Ulrike :0)

Pam L said...

Lori this is just beautiful! I haven't attempted any of the applique quilts yet but seeing this stunning beauty I might just have to give it a try. The quilting very nicely shows off your immaculate work. One to be proud of, as all of the work you do! Thanks for sharing.

NancyRose said...

Wonderful ! I love it !

laydilyke said...

So stunning, comforting looking. I'm thoroughly inspired as a new quilter. Enjoy your work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails