Thursday, November 21, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Fall Social Block Tutorial!!


Hello again:)
Welcome back to the



I'm sharing another vintage block
 with you from my 
Grandma's pattern basket.





I'm using Farm Girl Vintage fabric 
and Bee Backgrounds.
In this block I also 
threw in a print from my 
 Autumn Love fabric as well!


About todays block:
I love the changing of the seasons
 as much as Grandma did.
We both especially loved fall 
and the beauty that it brings.

I know I've told you that Grandma 
 wrote poems and I've wanted to share
 one of my favorites with you...
I was just waiting for fall!

  I looked through her patterns 
to see what I could come up with 
to represent her poem 
and you see the result!

I named my block FALL SOCIAL after her poem:


FALL SOCIAL
by Mildred Lucy Butterfield Crane

Dame Autumn gave a party
in a gold and crimson gown
She danced along the city streets
and all around the town

She pirouetted gracefully
in the crisp October air
She twirled her skirts, kicked up her heels
with a brash and reckless flair

She touched the fiery colored leaves
as they trembled on the bough
Whispered, "Dance with me my beauties,
your work is finished now"

They left their refuge one by one
with great anticipation
Scampering, leaping eagerly
to join the celebration

Master Wind was the musician
as he whistled through the trees
He whirled the dancers round and round
to his boisterous melodies

Until their frenzied antics
 left them lying in a heap
Exhausted from their efforts,
ready for a winters sleep

It was a lovely party,
a success in every way
A kaleidoscope of color
nature's beauty on display!


I just love that poem...
I think it's so beautiful.
I remember when she wrote it...
I was 17 or 18 I think:)
 Whenever I would go over to Grandma's
 I'd walk through the back door 
and always hollered
 "It's me Grandma" as I walked in.

She knew each of our voices well.
Then she would holler back
 so I knew where she was in the house.

Whenever she was writing she would
 be down the hall in the
 "spare room" clicking away on her typewriter.

I remember when she was
 writing this poem particularly 
because I wanted to see what she was
 working on...
She told me it was about Autumn 
but she kept saying
 "not until it's finished"
She worked on it for a few days
 and then let me read it.
It was worth the wait!


Even though we end up with one block
 they really are
 4 smaller blocks put together.

Four little Autumn Leaves
 for the Fall Social!



I'm just going to give you cutting
 and the tutorial for one leaf:)


From the background you will need to cut:
2 - 2 1/4" squares
9 - 1 1/2" squares


From the leaf print cut:
9 - 1 1/2" squares



For the stem cut:
1 - 2 1/2" square



For the bottom of stem cut:
1 - 1 1/2" square



The first steps are to sew these four together for a total of three...



And to sew easy corner triangles
 onto each side of the brown square
 to form the stem.



But first let's finish up
 these 3 segments.
They should each measure 2 1/2" square.

Now to add easy corner triangles
 onto each side.



Either mark your line or use the



This is what the three segments
 should look like and they should
 still measure 2 1/2" square.



Now add the first easy corner triangle 
onto the side of the brown square:)

You will need to trim it and press it
 back before you can add the other one.


This segment should also 
measure 2 1/2" square.


Now sew all four segments together...
and add the easy corner triangle
 onto the bottom of the stem...


Like this!
Your cute little Autumn Leaf 
should measure 4 1/2" square.


Here's the back of my block:)


Now make 3 more:)










And sew them together to make one block.
YaY!
They look like they are twirling around 
in a square dance at the fall social:)

FALL SOCIAL BLOCK
should measure 8 1/2" square 
before we sew it into our quilt.

Okay!
Just in case you missed it...
I posted a block on Tuesday
 of this week as well.
for that block tutorial on more 
information about the remaining weeks
 of this sew along!
Now we only have 3 more blocks left...
meet me back here next 
TUESDAY
for another vintage block
 from me and my Grandma:)
xx
Lori




If you are just joining us...
click on each block that we have
 done so far to go to the tutorial:


8. Humble
15. Memory
19. Picnic
20. Sparklers
26. Parade
30. Leftovers
36. Wash Day

9 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

Such a lovely poem and block, Lori! I love collecting poems - and have a whole box of them, from high school and beyond. I only made one (about my mom) that I have framed. Your grandma's poem is so special.
Love the leaf block, that really does look like leaves blowing around in the wind - so pretty! So happy that we can go back to review them all. I have so many written out, but your pictures really make the tutorials come to life - thanks :)!

Terry J said...

Thank you for sharing the poem! It has been such a delight to learn of your grandmother and your sweet memories. I'm way behind in my making my blocks but will continue on. Maybe I'll bet caught up next year. We are all looking forward to seeing this special quilt come together. Thank you:)

Unknown said...

A beautiful poem! Thank you for sharing it. She was a talented writer. Your block is pa perfect representation of her words.

Unknown said...

I love all the blocks in this vintage quilt along! Your stories and poems about quilting are awesome!

Marcia Spencer said...

What a wonderful poem! I purchased your Sew Easy Guide - but I lost the directions what are you using to adhere it to the machine bed? I've been a fan for a long time - I have your apron pattern from YEARS ago. Thank you.

Marcie Redeker said...

I am SO enjoying making your Grandma's blocks with you. Having 2 this week was a real treat! And I look forward to the next 3. You are so blessed to have had special Grandmas. I love the Autumn poem, too. Thank you for all you do for us!!!

Sandy said...

Oh how I love your grandma's poem, Lori! Though she died when I was a little girl, I do have some of my grandma's writing also--- short stories and poetry. Her poems have a similar "feel" to your grandma's! Thanks so much for all the effort you've put in to this sewalong... it's been such a special one that tugs at the heart strings! And your kids and grandkids will have all your memories written down for them right here! xoxo Sandy T.

Tina said...

Fall is also my favorite season. What a beautiful poem your Grandma wrote. She nailed it! These blocks are a real treat as well. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Lisa said...

I love that you are sharing these blocks with us. If you were to put them all into a book, I would be the first to purchase it. That way all of your inspiration would be in one place.

Related Posts with Thumbnails