Thursday, April 4, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Week 16 - Farmers Daughter Block!


Hello again!
Today is Thursday and that
 means that it's time for 
another episode of the 
Vintage Block Along


I'm sharing another block with you
 from my Grandma's pattern basket:)



I'm using Farm Girl Vintage fabric 
for my vintage blocks and 
all of the blocks will 
eventually become a quilt ...
that is...
 when the Vintage Block Along is over:)

So far I don't see the end 
in sight yet lol sew...
 let's just keep making vintage blocks
 until I feel it's time to
 put them all together!


I'm also using my 
Bee Backgrounds Collection 
for the blocks. 
I do this often when making quilts
 because I love the style and the
 interest that using all different backgrounds in one quilt looks.

For this sew along that works out 
perfectly because I cannot give you 
yardage needed for the background 
of the quilt as I do not
 know it's size yet:)


The vintage block for this week
 is the good old tried and true
 Farmers Daughter Block
It has been known by many names
 over the years but my favorite
 and the name that Grandma 
always called it was Farmers Daughter...
and because I am a farmers daughter 
and also my Grandma's grand daughter
I decided to keep the name as it is:)


If you participated in my 
then this block is VERY familiar to you!

I used it in this quilt because 
of the name and the scrappy happy
 nature of the design made it perfect
 to go between the rows of applique.

Those are the 5" blocks and
 the ones that we are making this week.


I also made 10" blocks 
for the corners of my quilt.
I like how the 2 sizes work together:)


During the sew along 
I loved making these 
little blocks so much...
they are so happy and it's really fun
 to put all different fabric 
combinations together for each block.


This is the 10" size.
You can see that each block
 simply needs 3 different prints
 and a background.


I also sewed one of the 5" blocks
 for the barn in my
 Farm Sweet Farm Quilt.
Notice in this one that I 
actually used five prints...
a yellow...a red...a background
 and 2 different aquas.
You could do that as well 
if you wanted because 
"You are the BOSS of your own quilt!"


Just sew you know...
we will need to make 4 
of the 5" blocks for our quilt:)


Last night I posted
 this photo on my 
as a little teaser 
for today's episode.

This is my Farm Girl Tin Mug 
that will be available next month!


Isn't it cute with a few prints
 from Farm Girl Vintage inside?


The cup features 4 of the
 Farmers Daughter Block
 and because we need 4 
in our Vintage Block Quilt...
I thought it would be fun 
to make my four blocks exactly 
like the ones that are on the cup:)


I used 4 different 
Bee Backgrounds for the blocks.
Cutting for ONE block:
Background- 
Cut 4 - 1 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Cut 4 - 1 1/2" squares
Center-
Cut 1 - 1 1/2" square
Cut 4 - 1 1/2" squares 
to go on each side of the center
Cut 12 - 1 1/2" squares 
for the corners

for the tutorial that I did 
on how to make the 
Farmers Daughter Block 
during my 
Farm Sweet Farm Sew Along


FARMERS DAUGHTER BLOCK
5 1/2" x 5 1/2" 
BEFORE you sew them into our quilt


I love these blocks sew much 
and I hope you have fun with yours too!



Thanks for riding along
 with me during the 
Vintage Block Along...
See you right back here
 next week for 
another stop on our journey!
xx
Lori

PS. If you are just joining us...
Here is the list of blocks 
that we have done already.
Click on each one for the tutorial:

8. Humble
15. Memory

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sew cute, as usual. I kept up with the first 11blocks, and was gearing up to catch up this week. Then on Sunday I slipped on a tiny patch of snow dusted ice and broke a bone in my dominant 🤚 😖. I’ll be joining you again in June, but will enjoy the eye candy until then! Thanks for sharing your talent so freely with us, Lori

Susan said...

I have just started your quilt along and playing catch up. Love your blocks and the stories you have along with them. Can't wait to be able to get that cup -- It is adorable!!!

Regina said...

I love this little block! Can't wait to make it, and that cup! It is sew adorable! Will have to get that for coffee. Thank you again for all you do. Sure wish I had half the energy you do, Lori!
I hope "Unknown" heals super fast and hope the pain is minimal!

Unknown said...

I just love these blocks and all your work! But was just wondering if there is a tutorial for the 10" farmers daughter block. again thank you so much for all you do :)

Natureluvr57 said...

I love the itty bitty canning jars....did I miss that pattern? Everything is lovely as usual

Pam Peterson said...

I’m “unknown” and recovering from the hand surgery which went well. The surgeon gave me limited use of my fingers sooner than I thought, so may only have to wait til May rosewoods!! Thanks for your comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails