Thursday, February 7, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Block Nine - Egg Money Block!!




Good morning!...
Hope you are ready for
 another tutorial in the 


I've chosen another block from 
my grandma's pattern basket
 to share with you:)



This block from grandma 
is one that I have always loved.

Of course grandma and her sisters 
pieced this block using templates
 probably made with a cereal box:)

The angles are difficult 
as many vintage blocks were.
I was determined that it 
should go into this quilt and 
our Vintage Block Along so I persisted...
and with some extra creative 
quilty math my 
"Egg Money" block was hatched!
It finishes at 12" x 12"
 and you will need to 
sew one block for the quilt.


In grandma's day, 
gathering the eggs...


And taking care of the chickens 
was a typical chore for a farm wife:)


Eggs were gathered in 
wire egg baskets
 like this or if there were
 just a few to gather
...they were often placed in 
grandma's apron skirt or 
slipped in the pockets.


I have grandma's egg basket 
that she gave to me 
from the barn out back.
I keep it in my kitchen 
and have it filled with 
these vintage rolling pins:)
Some of the pins have 
original painted handles 
and some I painted myself:)


Grandma's quilt blocks were pieced 
with colorful feed sacks 
after they were emptied or
 from leftovers from making a dress.



Often yard goods and patterns
 were purchased with the 
carefully saved egg money:)


Nothing says farm life like
 freshly gathered eggs 
placed in the kitchen for
 breakfast and baking...
but they also provided means 
for special purchases:)


This is the kind of block 
that grandma would typically make 
with just one print and a background 
and so that's what I chose to do too.
Using just one print really
 makes the graphic design shine through:)


The print is one that reminds me
 of something grandma would have
 purchased to make an everyday dress.

 She wore this color often 
and I designed it with her in mind!

It was a perfect choice for the 
Egg Money Block for my quilt:)


From the print you will need to cut:
8 - 3 1/4" x 3 1/4"
8 - 1 1/2" x 3 1/4"
4 - 1 1/4" x 1 1/2"



From the background cut:
12 - 3 1/4" x 4 1/4"
4 - 3 1/4" x 3 1/4"
4 - 1 1/4" x 3 1/4"
4 - 1 1/2" x 1 1/2"
1 - 1 1/4" x 1 1/4"



First make the center of the block.
It's sewn together like a 9 patch.
The center square is the
 smallest background square (1 1/4")
 and the four outside squares 
are the 1 1/2" size.
The prints are the small rectangles...
(1 1/4" x 1 1/2")



I pressed my seams open:)



Now take the print rectangles and 
place the background rectangle
 in the center and sew.



Make 4:)



Set those segments aside and then 
pair up the 3 1/4" squares 
to make half square triangles.



Mark a diagonal line or use the

If you want to find out how 
and why I use it
and how I put mine on my machine...



Trim the excess and press 
for a total of four.



Now lay the segments out 
on your design board and 
sew them together like this.
Another 9 patch!



This is a cute block all on its own
 but it becomes spectacular 
with just a few more steps:)



Sew background rectangles onto each 
side of the remaining 3 1/4" print squares.



Make 4:)



Press them in half to mark the 
center and then press the 
remaining four background rectangles
 in half as well.



Place the rectangle onto the
 printed square and line up 
the pressed creases.
Pin and sew...



like this!
I know this segment looks 
strange but stick with me:)



You will sew one to all four sides
 of the block.
Sew two opposite sides first and press...
then sew the two remaining.


Before you sew them use the 
here to make sure these seams line up.

I didn't pin them for the photo 
because I wanted you to sew
 which seams I meant.


This is what it looks like when you are finished sewing them on.

A little strange looking right?



Well...
just turn it a half a turn 
and looky what we have here:)
It's starting to look 
a little more like it should!


All you need is a 
12 1/2" square ruler to trim it up.

I'm using my 12 1/2" Trim - It Ruler...
if you don't have one no worries.

Whatever 12 1/2" ruler that you use 
just make sure that the block
 is centered before trimming.


And there you have your 
Egg Money Block:)
So much easier than templates!
Grandma was amazed with the
 quilting tools that we have now.


I love this block so much.
To me it is so vintagey adorable!

It looks super hard to make 
because of all the difficult angles
 but as you just saw...
it's now totally do-able!

Another great thing about this block
 is that you will not need to
 worry about sewing off your points when sewing it into your quilt
 because they are farther in than 1/4"....yay!


I used my very same
 "turn and trim method" 
when designing my
 Great Granny Square Blocks.

This was several years ago 
during the Great Granny Along
 which was also a sew along 
right here on my blog:)


I made 12" and 6" blocks...
and made runners and pillows too.


They eventually made their way 
into my second book...


Another thing that I did
 on my blog several years ago...
and also taught in my 
Farm Girl Vintage Workshops 
is my 
"Fresh Baked Bread Pincushion"

I thought I'd make a new one
 with my Farm Girl Vintage fabric
 and show you how I make them.


First you need a small loaf tin.
Sometimes I paint mine or
 they are fine left alone as well.

For the "bread slices" ...
I cut 20 - 1" strips about 10" long.


I sewed them together and 
pressed my seams open.
Basically I have a 10" square give or take.

If you didn't want your bread sliced...
you could just use a 10" square:)

I make it just like I showed you
 when I made my lady head vase pincushion.

Cotton thread...
and wool stuffing.


Just gather with large stitches 
in about a 1/2" from the edges.

Pull up and add the stuffing.
Because this is a rectangle shaped pan 
that's the shape's going for.


This is what the underside looks like...


And the ends.


Now just stuff it in the bread pan
 and your bread is freshly baked!

I did use my glue gun 
on the bottom of the loaf only.


I like to keep my sides glue free 
so that I can tuck my scissors...
thread and add a tube of sewing needles:)


And of course some bumble bee 


Freshly Baked Bread Pincushion...
it's delicious and 
Farm Girl Vintage cute...
not to mention handy!


I hope you enjoyed today's tutorials 
and that you have fun 
making your own Egg Money Block 
and pincushion.

I will do my best to
 be back here next Thursday 
with another block from grandma's basket.

Thanks for farmin' with me!
xx
Lori

If you are just joining us...
click on each block 
that we have already sewn
 for that tutorial:

8. Humble











7 comments:

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Love the story of the egg money! The vintage fabrics in the old ad look fabulous.

Sandy said...

Lori, I am SO loving this series! I never really knew my grandmothers- one passed away when I was very young, and the other lived in another state.... so I am living vicariously through you as you tell us about your grandma. Thanks so much for taking the time to do it! (i don't know how you manage to do all you do!) I see so much of you in her face! xoxo

Plong54 said...

Thank you so much for this great tutorial...love this block and story!

Bambi Pearson said...

Love this block! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi I was looking back at how to use your flower seam guide and
I noticed you have a red singer featherweight.Where ever did you find it??
Thanks,
Kelly

Unknown said...

hi lori
thanks for this work of the vintage block

Mom of Three Quilter said...

Thank you for sharing the vintage block! I love it! Your tutorials are so clear and concise!

Related Posts with Thumbnails