Friday, August 28, 2015

Seams Sew Easy is Here and Farm Girl Friday Week 18 - YeeHaw!!!


I'm so excited to show you
 a brand new product that 
I have designed just for you!

It's a seam guide that you adhere
 (temporarily of course)
 to your sewing machine bed.


Introducing the 


I designed it and
produced it for me…and you!

I've been waiting
 a long time 
for them to be ready 
and I'm so happy that
 they are finally here 
and that I can 
share them with you
 on this weeks 
Farm Girl Friday:)

This is only one of the colors available...


It comes in these 4 happy colors
to match your mood or each of your machines:)
GREEN RED AQUA PINK

Personally I plan on keeping one 
with all of my machines
and in my sewing bag
so that I am never without one.


Each one comes with 4 of the
 1" round Stick-it's…
which are removable double side tape dots.


So now I'm going to 
explain why and how to use my
while I'm showing you the
 3 easy steps to set it up!


I have put the steps directly onto my seam guide for you.
First step is placing the needle into the dot.
This step is to ensure that
 the center line on the 
Seams Sew Easy lines up
 perfectly with the needle.

With these directions you are
 custom fitting it to your machine.

****NOTE****
It's now 6 years later from when I originally did this post introducing my Seams Sew Easy.
It's now 2020!
Now they come with the rectangle already cut out and all you have to do is line up the center line on the guide with your needle.
Easy Peasy!
You can make sure it is going straight by using the lines on your machine and the grid lines on the Seams Sew Easy Guide:)
********************************


Un-thread your machine…
align needle with dot and 
insert the needle right into the center.


Then lift your needle and remove
 seam guide from your machine bed.
Step one done!


Now for step two…
cutting.
See the dotted lines around the rectangle?
That's your guide for cutting out.
Don't worry if you 
go off the dotted lines
they are just there as a guide.

Your Seams Sew Easy will
 still work fine even if 
it's not an exact rectangle cut out
the most important thing is
 the needle placement within it
 and you've already done that!

***IMPORTANT***
Use some good sharp scissors…
or an X-Acto Knife
but NOT your fabric scissors!


Remember the reason that there is a rectangle there in the first place is so that you have your needle placement as a guide when adhering to your machine bed for correct placement of the three lines that will guide your sewing:)
Your machine can't sew fabric with the rectangle in place…so obviously it will need to be removed after sticking your seam guide to your sewing machine bed:)


The large punched hole is there so that 
you can use it to start your first cut.
It's sturdy plastic so 
it will take more time than just simply cutting paper…
but no worries!

Just start cutting towards
 the back of the rectangle like this.
Just use the tip of your
 very sharp scissors and 
go a little at time for 
cutting the sturdy plastic:)



The plastic is sturdy so that it will stick out and lie flat on those sewing machines that have a curved bed or not much space between the front edge of the bed and the needle like for instance my featherweight.
It is SO HELPFUL to have a larger working space on an otherwise short bed.
I purposely designed my Seams Sew Easy guide
with sturdy plastic to stick out a couple of inches on your machine when it's not flat in a table for this very reason:)
You can sew in this photo
 that using "washi tape" 
also works really well
to hold your Seams Sew Easy in place.
Washi tape is like cute miniature painters tape and can be found in the scrapbooking section of any craft store:)
You can use this instead of the sticky dots that it comes with.



After you have the top piece of
 the rectangle out…
simply cut down the sides
 until it's all cut out 
like this.
I am using the word "cutting" 
but keep in mind that it's really 
just clipping a little at a time 
with the very tip of sharp scissors.



Now put the seam guide back onto 
your machine bed!
Use the lines on your machine …
and the lines on the guide…
 to make sure it is straight...


And adhere into place.
I put a dot under 4 of the petals.
(it probably would be just as secure with 2)
I have a front loading bobbin on my machine 
so I don't really ever need to 
remove my seam guide for changing bobbins.
When my machine needs 
to be cleaned or moved etc
I just pull off the seam guide
 and stick it back on afterwards!
Depending on your machine
 and how you use it washi tape or 
stick it dots will work either way...
Easy Peasy!



Now it's time to remove the rectangle
 after your 
Seams Sew Easy is adhered.
Because you used the rectangle
 and had the needle inserted 
so that it wouldn't move
your lines on the guide 
(centered with needle and 1/4")
are exactly where 
they need to be
 for accurate piecing!

After you use it for a while you get to know where to place it pretty easily!


Now I have a cute little flower 
with lines to guide my stitching and I know that the center line is lined up with my needle…
YAY!

No more tracing lines onto squares
 for easy corner triangles…
flying geese…snowballs etc:)


You simply start stitching on one corner 
and let the bottom corner line up
 with the CENTER line as you are sewing.
This center line is aligned perfectly 
with your needle so it works accurately every time!


Just like this!


I love it!!!


I have always used a guide for
 sewing accurate 1/4" seams as well.
I like to know where my seam is 
long before I get to the foot.
I find if you wait until you
 get to the foot to adjust to 1/4" it can cause
 "wobbly" seams…
and that not good for accurate blocks:)
I use the left of the center line 
as well and the grid lines on the
 center of the flower for 
things like hemming etc.


See? Perfect 1/4" seam…YaY!!!


You all should know by now that 
I use my Easy Corner Triangle Method
on any of my blocks that have angles at all 
(which is most of them)

So I'm hoping that you will love 
my Seams Sew Easy as much as I do!



If you follow me on 
have attended one of my 
Farm Girl Vintage Workshop/Retreats ...
 you know I have been using one
 on my featherweight.

Seams need to be accurate on retreat too!


Okay…so now onto our first block this week…
"Scrappy Maple Leaf "


You will find the pattern and instructions
 on page 58 of my book 


I love making maple leaf blocks!
I just had to make a bunch in both the 6" and 12" sizes...


For a swirly twirly falling leaves quilt:)
I used the Picnic Quilt setting 
on page 114 of my book.

I'm in the fall mood …
so I'm really looking forward 
to seeing all of your blocks!
Don't forget to use the hashtag;

#ScrappyMapleLeafBlock


Now let's talk about my 
Scrappy Strawberry block:)

You can find the pattern and instructions on page 59.

I know strawberries are typically
 in season during the spring 
but I love to decorate with strawberries
 so they are always in season at my little cottage!


When you make your blocks…
don't forget to use the hashtag
#ScrappyStrawberryBlock

I think my scrappy strawberry looks great in red too...


So I stitched up a couple of the 12" blocks
and cut 18 - 4 1/2" scrappy aqua squares...


and pieced together a quick table runner:)
12" x 48"


I didn't get time to quilt it for you but you 
get the idea…right?
I think I'll bind it in aqua too:)

I like the size of this one…
it will look nice on the main countertop 
in my cottagey kitchen:)


to see this weeks guest bloggers 
and to view the schedule.

That's it for now!
Now go sew your blocks:)
xx
Lori







30 comments:

Sharon - creativity and family said...

What a fantastic idea :-) x

Leeanne said...

What a practical idea, but fun and funky too!

Anonymous said...

You are so smart and practical!! I was trying to think of an idea to do just this! I love it!

Unknown said...

I love it, Lori! Fabulous idea, and adorable to boot!

Little Quiltsong said...

Oh Lori - thank you again for the 'Farm Girl Friday' Blocks and added ideas - I look forward to it each week! And LOVE your new 'Seams Sew Easy' Tool - a MUST for me. Love 'all' the colors you brought it out in :)!

namwobd said...

I know this might sound stupid but what is Wash tape?

SewBella’s Quilt Cart said...

Purchased mine yesterday from FQS, can't wait!

krislovesfabric said...

I love the size of this - perfect!!

Sandra said...

Washi tape is a low tack tape with fun colors and designs and is usually found in the office/school supplies section of drug stores and even grocery stores. Actually, you can find it most anywhere! Be careful, they're addicting! You'll want a roll of every one they make! 😉

Susan said...

Oh, I love your flower guide. How like you to design something both practical and cute. I really love this strawberry block. I stitched three 12" blocks on a dotty background and sewed them all in a row to make a long pillow. Your pattern gave me the confidence to mix reds and pinks from different fabric lines that I never would have thought would go together. But they do. :) Thank you. :)

Judy said...

What a great idea for my 221! I have your previous one but I like the smaller size and adorable shape of this one even better!! I wanted to tell you that this strawberry block is a great idea to help me make a mine craft quilt for my grandson. I just didn't know how to get started but your sizes put together will be very helpful. I have your book but haven't started sewing the blocks. I have your last fabric collection and look forward to your new line coming soon! Thanks so much for all you do for us!! I've made 3 of your boards. They hold thread but when they get too bad I'll make another.

JanAngel55 said...

I am wondering if you are going to make anymore star blocks using the Feed Company fabric? janicelashley@gmail.com thank you

Norma J. said...

I just purchased your book a couple days ago. Just came across this "flower seam guide" on FB and planning on ordering a couple. I'd love to continue following your site on Facebook.

Unknown said...

What distances are the lines going further out? A lot of things I sew need a 3/8 or 1/2 inch seam. Are there lines to follow for these too or is it just 1/4 inch seams it works for?

Merrill Hogan said...

Thanks for designing this useful tool Lori. I just bought your Vintage Farmgirl book and am loving reading all about the blocks. I'm looking forward to making some too :)

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

Great idea! I really need to get it next time I order fabrics from FQS :-)
Have a great and creative weekend :-)

Kim with a K said...

I've ordered 3 of your Seams Sew Easy (fantastic name!) For myself and gifts from Fat Quarter Shop!

I'm really enjoying your Farm Girl Vintage book and sew along too! Sew much fun!

Janan Doster said...

Where did you ever find that blue cutting mat?
I love it. I need one too!

Carla said...

Love your blocks and the cool tool. I might clicked purchase. Some days I need all the help I can get.
Thanks

Kate said...

Beautiful table runner Lori.

Quilt Fabric Pizazz said...

What a great idea! This is one of your lightbulb ideas for sure. Red please if I win - for these tired old quilting eyes. I think it would show up best on my machine colours.

Candie said...

Love it. Great color choices but my favorite is always RED. Your creativity is so inspiring .

Julia Smith said...

Love this! I am new to quilting and in fact am piecing my first quilt now. I am learning something new everyday. Love this idea. Red would be my color

Carol spence said...

This looks so easy and great! Would love to win a red one!!!

Unknown said...

I love this plate. I would love the aqua one. that is the color of my sewing room. I usually just use blue tape on my machine, but this would make it so much easier.

Jean said...

Fantastic idea - hope you get rich!!! I love all the colors, if I can only pick one - I like the aqua.

Unknown said...

that is so simple to use and i like the blue or pink

nogysbaby said...

I love the pink. Please I want one so bad

susan said...

I love the Aqua colour. Instead of strawberries I think I would like to make two pumpkins for a table runner. What do you think

Joyce said...

I ordered one for one of my machines and can't wait til it gets here... now grandson wants one for his machine... he loves the aqua

Related Posts with Thumbnails