Monday, January 16, 2017

Sweetie Pie Sew Along - Week One - Pie Blocks!!!


I'm sew happy that today is
 finally here because its 
week one in the 
Sweetie Pie Sew Along!


We will be making the 
Sweetie Pie Quilt


to download 
my free pattern 
if you want to join us:)



We are also using the 


And my new 
along with other appliqué supplies.

to view the supplies 
needed post for this sew along



A few weeks ago 
I did the tutorial on 
prep and cutting everything 
for the quilt.

for those instructions


Okay. 
Now that you are all cut...
lets get started!

 This week we will be doing all 
12 of the Pie Blocks.

Won't it be nice to 
have them ready and waiting 
for the
 center appliqués each week?


I did the Pie Block 
tutorial via YouTube
 along with
 Cindy at 
Riley Blake Designs

to watch and then 
begin making your pies!!


I showed this part in the video
 but I just wanted you to see
 up close photos:)


***REMEMBER***
This is NOT your cutting line 


Cut a very generous 
1/4" INSIDE of the line 
with a small sharp pair of 
embroidery scissors 
...like this:)


Now your pie is ready to 
appliqué onto the background!


And you have a super cute and 
 already made little pie:)

I just adore sewing 
two things at once!



Stack all 12 mini pies...


And set them aside for 
a fun surprise project
 that will come later 
during our sew along:)


When basting...
I like to pin the 
inside circle like this 
so that the pie is 
nice and smooth 
and stays into place.



While the pins are still in place 
I put a small drop of glue 
onto each point and cleavage 
of the outside edge
and smooth it back down 
and back into place.



When the outside edges are dry 
I remove the pins and place a 
tiny amount of glue 
in a few spots of the 
inside edges to 
keep it secure as well.

I won't be appliquéing these
 inside edges down because of course...
the circles with the fruit
 will be appliquéd over them
 but I want them to remain flat during
 the process of appliquéing the outside edges:) 



After they were all glue basted...
I stacked all 12 of my Pie blocks 
on one of my large design boards and will appliqué all of them this week!
(just the outside edges)

You can choose to either 
hand appliqué or machine appliqué.

"You're the BOSS of your own quilt!"

 The most important thing is
 to have fun with it!


Aren't they sweet!? 

I'm looking forward to 
seeing your Pie Blocks! 
Don't forget to use the hashtags

#PieBlock
#SweetiePieSewAlong

when posting these on social media 
so that all of us can see.
 After all...
 that's such a fun part of 
doing the sew along together:)

Next week we will 
begin filling our pies!!
See you then...
xx
Lori

7 comments:

Joan said...

You are truly amazing! Beautiful, fun, colorful creations! Thank you!!! xo

Christine E said...

This is my 3rd quilt along with you! You make everything so simple and beautiful! Thank you Lori!

Little Quiltsong said...

Enjoyed your tutorial with Cindy and how wonderfully you explain things again on your blog. Now I need to get cutting :)!

sewinglady said...

Purchased the Pie Ruler and Fruit Salad sew simple shapes. Can't wait to use them.

QuilterBee said...

Digging out all my Lori Holt fabrics all the way back to your first fabric line...yes I still have them all!! Love this quilt!!

Glenda Joy said...

That was a great, helpful video for this week. I am learning so many new things. Just finished all my pies....can't wait for tomorrow! :)

Cathy Weber said...

This is so adorable and I am having such fun with it! Please Lori...hope you are working on Sew Simple Baby templates!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails