Monday, January 25, 2016

BLOOM Sew Along - Week Two - Block Two!!

Good morning cute people!
Welcome to the second week of the 
BLOOM Sew Along:)

I'm so excited to be sewing the 
BLOOM quilt with you:)

to download my free pattern


Grab your 
BLOOM set of my Sew Simple Shapes
and let's get started...


On block number two!


For this block we will be using
A-1   A-16   A-18
from the Bloom Sew Simple Shapes

You will need to cut BOTH from fabric and Pellon;
 1 - 2" square for circle
4 - 2" x 3" for red petals
4 - 2 1/2" x 3" for blue tulips
1 - 5/8" x 15" strip for stems
(you will need 2- 6 1/2" long stems prepared)
Cut your background 9" square
(trim down to 8 1/2" later)


Trace around the shapes onto your Pellon.
Just a reminder...
I use SEW-IN light to medium weight.
You can find it online
or at your local fabric and craft store


Pin your Pellen with tracing side up to your fabric that is also right side up.


***TIP*** For smooth lines...
go slowly and lift your foot often 
to pivet when you are sewing on curves:)


Trim about 1/4" past stitching lines...


Clip the X's in the Pellon...


Turn and press.


Press your background fabric in half both ways like this.

Prepare your your stems 
just like I showed you in the 


Now you are ready to layout for basting.
Start with one of your 6 1/2" long prepared stem strips
 and center it on the diagonal line of your background block.
That means it will go 3 1/4" above and below your pressed line...


Like this. 
Use your favorite basting method...
I like to use basting glue on mine...but take note that I use it sparingly.
Just one tiny dot in the place of where I would normally place a pin.


Repeat for the other stem.


Now to place the red petals.
Place them so that the points just touch the stems.
Use your pressed lines to make sure that the petals are centered.


Now for the circle.
I found it helpful to measure 2" from the 
outside edge of each red petal to center the circle.


Now place the blue tulips by measuring 1 1/2" from the circle like this.


Use the diagonal lines to make sure your tulips are centered.


Now for the appliqué...
it's your choice to do it by hand or by machine:)



When appliqué is complete...
press on the back only.
I sprayed a little light starch on the back
before pressing to help get the pressed lines out of the background.


After pressing...
trim up your block to 8 1/2" square 
just like I showed you in my


Lay out your 
block border strips and squares...


And sew it together:)


YaY!
Block Two is complete:)
Be sure to use 
#BloomBlockTwo
when you post it so we can all see!


I hope you are enjoying making my BLOOM blocks...
Be sure to visit 
and see what they are doing 
for the sew along!

Join me next week for block three:)
"BLOOM"
Where you're Planted!
xx
Lori

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this block!

Farmhouse Quilts said...

Love it! I will hopefully be getting to work on this later today....it's a snow day here, but it depends how well the youngest entertains himself..ha!

Linda Thompson said...

These look awesome. Just "Happy" colors and design. Hope to get both done this week when my company is gone. Hard to sew with people around who want to visit. But they are good friends.

Katie M. said...

I'm not usually a fan of applique, but I love this. Thank you for the pattern and the tutorial..

Julie said...

I almost jumped into making this yesterday, so glad I waited, your instructions are so clear. I am going to get some basting glue. With block #1 I had a hard time keeping the stem piece centered on the pressed line while I was sewing it on!

Unknown said...

I'm eagerly awaiting my kit from FQS. Can't wait to get started. How much background fabric is required?

Carolknits said...

Love the block! I'm using the Pellon tracing non-fusible. The light weight pellon kept tearing for me when I turned my pieces. Anyone else using this?

Jodi - usairdoll said...

Such darling pattern! Love your fabrics and all you do! Great tutorial, Waiting for my templates to arrive. Thanks!

usairdoll(at)gmail(dot)com

jan said...

Lori has a video tutorial on making block #1 that shows how to not rip the Pellon

Tammy said...

This is sewww much fun!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Just finished this one! Love it and will share on ig tomorrow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails