Monday, February 1, 2016

BLOOM Sew Along Week Three - Block Three!!


Today we are already into week three of the 
BLOOM Sew Along:)


After next week we will be able sew the first row of
 the BLOOM quilt together:)

to download my free pattern




I hope you are having fun playing with my
 BLOOM Sew Simple Shapes
I know I am!

to get a set of your own



Let's get started!!!




Here are my prints from
that I used for the appliqués in block 3.



The Sew Simple Shapes that we are using:
A-5  A-7  A-15
You will need to cut from BOTH fabric and Pellon:
Cut 1 red and 1 pink 3" x 4" for flowers 
Cut 2 yellow 2" squares for the flower centers
Cut 5 green 2" squares for the leaves
(3 of one and 2 of the other)
Cut 1 - 5/8" x 13" strip for the stems 
Cut your background square 9"...
it's important to use your ruler lines and make sure
that your lines on the fabric are straight when cutting.



Trace...sew and trim your seam allowances.
Carefully cut the X for turning into the Pellon only.



Turn your pieces right side out.
Shape your piece as close to your original shape 
as possible with the help of the Clover turning tool.

***TIP*** 
When pushing out the points...
make sure to put the tip under the fabric seam allowance and not on the Pellon.
The Pellon needs to be thin for good reason...
but that means it is delicate.
Remember to push out on the 
fabric only and you will be fine:)



After you have turned...press them from the fabric side only.
Do your best to get a point on these small pieces...
some of them will turn out better than others but thats okay!




Now for the basting.
I did not press my background block at all for block three.
What I did was measure across the bottom and put a pin 3" from each end.
This is the placement for the stems:)



After preparing your stems...
cut them into two pieces... 7" and 5" and baste.
Use the straight lines on your background fabric
to make sure that they are straight.
I placed these stems 
even with the bottom edge of the background fabric.



Place the red flower 1 1/4" from the top and also the side.
(top two photos)
The pink flower is placed 
1 1/4" from the side and 2 3/4" from the top.
(bottom left photo)
The centers are 7/8" from the sides and it's pretty easy
 to eyeball them centered 1/2" from the top and bottom:)



Now let's start with the leaves on the left...



Measure 2" up from the bottom of the stem
and place your first leaf.
Notice that my ruler line is straight on the stem...
and the bottom edge of the leaf.

For the next leaf placement...
simply measure up 2" again from the leaf below it 
and place the bottom straight with the ruler as well:)
(top right photo)

Place the remaining leaf on the other side 
exactly centered between the first two  
by measuring 3" up from the bottom edge.

For the other set of two leaves on the pink flower...
Measure 1 1/2" up from the bottom on the left side 
and 2 1/2" up from the bottom for the right side.



YaY! 
All basted and ready for appliqué!!!


Use your favorite method...
I'm going to hand appliqué 
just like my first two blocks:)



When your appliqué is complete...
Press from the back of your block only
 to protect you appliqué shapes.

Trim up your block to 8 1/2" square 
and cut your scrappy block borders:)



Sew it together...take a photo...
and post it on your blog, facebook and/or

Use the hashtag
#BloomBlockThree
to show off your cute block!!!



I love appliqué made easy ...don't you?

Until next week...
"BLOOM"
Where you're Planted!
xx
Lori


4 comments:

Susie H said...

Wow!! Cute block!

Carolknits said...

I can't wait to get started. I notice that the points on your leaves aren't "perfect" and I am much relieved. I've been trying to get perfect points and I'm not having much luck. I use the point turner as you describe and I'm careful not to poke through the Pellon. I do trim the points, so I'm going to relax and enjoy the journey and not agonize over those points!! LOL
Thanks!

El Taller de Kykis said...

que hermoso ha quedado este bloque , no puedo esperar para terminar de colocarme al dia pronto los veras en mi facebook e instagram un abrazo desde Colombia

Unknown said...

Finished blocks 1 and 2, very easy and can't wait to start 3. This is so much fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails