Monday, January 28, 2019

Farm Sweet Farm Sew Along - Week One!!


YeeHaw! 
I cannot even tell you 
how excited that I am:)

It's week one in the 
Farm Sweet Farm Sew Along!!





We will be sewing with my brand new 
 Farm Girl Vintage Collection...



And using the



To make the
 Farm Sweet Farm Quilt
75" x 87"



A few weeks ago I posted all about 
how you can "Bee Prepared"
 for this sew along.

I told you all about the free
 Sew Along Guide
 and showed you how I 
put mine in a binder.
to download the guide 
if you haven't yet:)
if you have not read the
 "Bee Prepared" post 
or if you need any reminders
 about supplies before we get started:)


First up is this cute PIG BLOCK!


After going through the guide
 and following the cutting directions...
you should have all of the pieces
 for the pig block all ready to go!

I'll list the Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for each block...
even though they are listed in the guide
 just for clarification:)

PIG BLOCK:
1-H23
4-H11
10-H15
1-H29
2-H36
2-H4


As always for the first week 
only and first block...
I did a video tutorial with Cindy at
 Riley Blake Designs Studio.
to watch and get the instructions
 on making the PIG BLOCK:)


I'll also tell you how long to cut 
the flower stems for each block.
For the PIG BLOCK you will need to cut:
2 - 8 1/2"
1 - 4 1/2"
1 - 2 1/2"



In the guide I asked you to cut
 6 - 5/8" wide x Width of Fabric strips
 for all of the flower stems in the quilt.

Run all of them through the
 1/4" wide bias tape maker 
just like I showed you in the video.



Wrap the prepared stems around 
an old spool or you can use 
an empty Vintage Trim spool like I did:)

Now when it's time to make each block...
all you will need to do is 
cut the lengths required 
from your prepared stems.
Easy Peasy!!



When preparing your block for appliqué
you need to stay within the guidelines 
of the finished block size 
so that when you trim up after applique...
you will not cut off tips of leaves
 on the sides or any pig feet on the bottom!

The finished size of the 
PIG BLOCK is 11" tall x 12" wide.
So when laying out your block 
you do NOT want the design 
to go any wider than 11 1/2".

That means after sewing it 
into the quilt there will be 
1/4"space on each side of
 the width which is your goal:)


The measurement from the bottom 
of my pigs feet and the tip of the 
goose wing is 9 1/2"
That leaves plenty of room 
when trimming up the height.


On page 14 of the guide you will
 see the FINISHED measurement of each block.

This is so that you will know
 how tall and wide your appliqués need to stay within when laying out 
each block for applique.

Take note that this is
 NOT THE TRIM UP MEASUREMENT.
The measurement for 
trimming up your block after applique 
is always 1/2" than the finished size.
This is the standard rule 
when making any quilt.

I did not trim my block in the video
 because I want to walk you
 through how I do it.



I like to do the side first.
I need to trim it 12 1/2" wide 
so I grabbed my 12 1/2" Trim-It Ruler 
for this.
Of course you can use any ruler
 that you want:)



I just find these handy because I can
 see inside the "window" of the aqua
 what my finished block will look like.

You can see here that there is 1/4"
 to the leaf and I'm happy with that.



Also 1/4" on the left side as well 
so I go ahead and trim the sides.



There is plenty of room from 
top to bottom and I usually 
measure 1/2" from the bottom 
of the feet and trim.

P.S. I did not zig-zag the edges 
of the linen on this first pig block 
because I forgot.
Linen frays easily so be sure to 
zig-zag or serge your edges.



And now I only need to trim the top.

I measure 11 1/2" from the bottom line
 that I just trimmed and cut:)

I'm always VERY CAREFUL 
when I trim up my blocks.

After all...
I've just appliquéd an embroidered
 and I don't want to make a mistake!
My advice is as always...
measure twice and cut once.

I've also learned from experience 
that during my trim up time 
I turn off my phone...laptop... TV...Radio...pop out my ear buds...
shoo the kids and pets 
out of the room ...
because I'm easily distracted LOL


Now that my little piggy is all trimmed 
up it's time for the buttons!
But you already know all about
 this step because I talked 
about it in the video:) 



PIG BLOCK
should be completely adorable
 and should also measure
 12 1/2" wide x 11 1/2" tall 
BEFORE sewing it into your quilt:)



OINK OINK!!!



HONK HONK!!


Okie dokie...let's make a horse!


Grab your horse block pieces
 and traced shapes.
The shapes used in this block are:
1-H28
4-H11
9-H15
2-H4
2-H36
1-H16


Cut your flower stems:
2 - 5 1/2"
2 - 2 1/2"



Sew and trim.
Before turning remember to clip the 
cleavage and inner curves on the horse...
flowers and baby chick.


Turn and shape them and give 
each piece a quick little press.

P.S. If you like my little 
vintage red tractor pincushion...
to read where I tell how I made it.


It's time to make a 
cute little quilt for the horse:)



Lay your squares out like this...



And sew into 4 rows of 4.



This is my handy little double pin
 that I use when doing small patchwork.

These type of pins have been around
 forever and are normally used when 
making clothing but I have always
 used them for piecing fussy patchwork!
(if you have attended my workshops
 you already know this lol)

I'm excited to now have some 
Bee in my Bonnet ones
 and I call them Double Pins:)



This is why my double pins are nifty:  
While using only one pin...
you are pinning on both sides 
of the seams
 that need to line up with each other.



Now there is no room for that seam 
to shift when they are pinned this way.
I love the results!!



if you need some 
DOUBLE Pretty Pins:)



You can sew over them if needed...
I just go slowly while watching 
to make sure that the 
needle doesn't come down on one.

They are thin and they work like a charm!



See how each and every seam 
lines up perfectly!?
Normally that is hard to do
 with little patchwork pieces.



They sure save me from spending
 time with the seam ripper:)



The cute little 
horse quilt is all pieced...



And all the seams are pressed open 
so as not to distort it...
and to reduce bulk...
 and to help it lie flat.



Your little quilt should measure 
3 1/2" square at this point and
 you can trim it up if you want to:)



But it's not really necessary because
we will be using the interfacing and
 turning it into an appliqué shape!



This is the "Ruler Work" that I gave 
you instructions on tracing in the guide:)



Center it onto the quilt and
 pin into place for sewing.



Trim the seam allowance and
 clip off a little of each corner:)



Turn and press.
Use the turning tool to 
gently shape the corners.


So cute and tiny!!
I just love little patchwork:)



One more thing before you prepare
 your block for applique...
trace the mane onto the horse
  and embroider it first.
You could do it after but it's
 bulky through all of those layers.



I like to use washi tape to place 
the pattern onto my Easy Trace Light Box.
It's easy to remove and leaves no residue!
I have a set of 
Farm Girl Vintage washi tape
 to be released soon:)



I use a backstitch and all 6 strands
 of my steel gray Aurifloss.
I do not make perfect tiny stitches...
I like them kinda chunky because 
it adds texture and free style to the block:)



Again...when laying out each block...
use a ruler so that your shapes
 do not "grow" past the finished size.

The finished size of the
 horse block is 14" wide...
so your pieces should not be
 wider than 13 1/2"



It finishes at 11" tall.
From the bottom of the hooves
 and the tip of the ears
 it should measure 10"


Use the applique pins and pin your 
shapes onto the background and 
straight into the design board 
while you are placing them...
just like I showed you 
in the video for the pig.


When you are happy with the placement
 grab your Sue Glue and 
glue baste them down.

I used a stapler and my Queen Bee rock 
and a couple rulers to 
cover this block when drying
 LOL...whatever works!!


All ready for applique and the 
rest of the embroidery:)


I used 3 strands of the 
Steel Gray for the baby chick:)


You will need to trim up your block 
in the same way that I showed you
 with the pig....but take note that
 this block will instead 
be trimmed 14 1/2" wide.

It will be trimmed 11 1/2" tall
 just like the pig.
There is 1/2" measured in down at the bottom 
of the feet in the exact same way.



Take note that all four of the 
applique blocks on the top row
 are 11" tall finished.
That's how they all fit together:)


After trimming...
sew on the Cute Little Buttons:)

I absolutely love my horse block 
and I hope that you do too!

At this point he should be 
nice and warm wearing his quilt...
 and measure 14 1/2" wide and 
11 1/2 inches tall 
(I meant 11 1/2 hands tall lol) 



NEIGH!!!



WHINNY!!!


YeeHaw!!!

Two super cute blocks completed:)
Whew!
That was a lot for the 
first week but it's okay.

This post will stay here FOREVER 
and we will only do one applique block 
per week with the exception
 of week four when we will only do 
the pieced blocks.

The word" schedule" simply means 
those are the days that I will 
be posting that block tutorial 
but that does not mean that 
you have to have that block completed
 by the end of the week.


We all work at different speeds and 
some do not even have their fabric yet.

 It's all good y'all!!!...
there is time to enjoy the process.
We have plenty to bee happy about...
and we are going to have 
sew much fun with this sew along!!


Thanks so much for 
"plowing through" 
with me today and we will
 do more farmin' next Monday!
xx
Lori 











11 comments:

Unknown said...

Too sinkin' CUTE! Your directions are so on point giving the beginner the attitude of, "this is doable". Love your style of teaching and your thoroughness. I might make my tractor orange...we have a Kubota:)

ShirleyC said...

Great tutorial! I can see where those pins would hold much better than a straight pin.

Debra Campbell said...

I like your idea of using double pins to match seams. I bought a bunch to block crochet projects, but love anything that has multiple use potential.

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it! Thank you for hosting this Sew Along. Egg-celent directions:)

Unknown said...

Thank you..will start qorking on it tomorrow waiting for my interfacing to arrive.
Can't wait to get started
Yehaw to you Lori

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your newest quilt is just beautiful. Gosh I adore your creativity and seeing your work.

Janet Hancock said...

This is my first sew along and I am SO impressed with how organized you are Lori!! I was feeling a little overwhelmed with all the little appliqué pieces, but after watching your video I have the confidence to do it. Thank you for all the pictures and little details included on your blog. Can’t wait for my fabric to get here!!

Julia M said...

every day i see things that look nice and are added to my "maybe someday" list, but i adore this quilt so much, i just ordered everything to make it! now to wait (impatiently!) for it to arrive so i can join in the fun! thank you for this sweet design and sew-along!

Regina said...

Adorable! I am planning mine even as I am working on another quilt.
Lori, thank you for sharing your talents and wisdom with us. Truly, gifts from God.

theneedtobead said...

Lori I have loved your designs since you were tole or decorative painting. I guess I have been a fan for probably 30 years. I am working on Bee Happy and have the hexes left to do, I have purchased bloom, and of course farm sweet farm. I like to Applique by hand,I’m 65 years old so I hope god will let me live long enough to finish all your quilts. I love your blogs, I just have trouble finding the one I’m looking for. we are all blessed to have you in our life, keep up with your beautiful work.

Unknown said...

Just finishing up my Farm Sweet Farm quilt, my first of your quilts. Love them all! Working on Farm Girl Vintage blocks also...would love to make all of your quilts! I grew up on the farm. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails