Thursday, January 17, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Block Five - Rhinestone Block Tutorial!!


Okay quilty peeps...
today I'm going to share 
a cute little block 
from my grandma's pattern basket
 that I have named
 RHINESTONE

It's the next block in our 


I think these blocks look like
 colorful vintage rhinestone pins...
the kind that I told you about
 in my last post 
that grandma used to wear and
 were so popular back then:)


This is grandma's recipe box that I have now.



She had lots of recipes that she 
clipped from the paper...
and inside are a few 
poems and notes as well.



This one is the recipe for the
 Banana Drops 
that she made often and
 kept in her pig cookie jar.
(but not for long with 27 grandkids lol)



I love having her recipes
and in her own handwriting...
so very special to me.




Are you ready to make some Rhinestones?

These little 6" finished blocks 
are scrappy happy fun:)


This was a classic and super easy block
 that you see in many vintage quilts.

It was easy to use up small pieces
 of feed sack for one of these blocks.

Today...
we still like easy scrap blocks like this!

All you need for each block is
 a background and and two colors 
so have fun putting your 
fun combinations together!


I used 4 different Bee Backgrounds 
for my blocks.

Of course have each of the prints
 in this collection on
 a fabric swatch tag.

A few days ago I did a tutorial 
on how I make these...
and how I use them.

for the tutorial!


I'll just be showing you how to
 make one Rhinestone Block...
obviously they are each
 made the same way:)



From the background you will need to cut:
4 - 2 1/2" squares
8 - 1 1/2" squares



From Fabric One:
Cut 5 - 2 1/2" squares 



From Fabric Two:
Cut 8 - 1 1/2" squares.



Easy peasy!!!
All cut and ready to 
sew one Rhinestone Block:)



Pair up four of the 2 1/2" squares... 



And make four half square triangles.
if you want to know about the



Trim the excess and press!
You should have a total of four
 that measure 2 1/2" square
 at this point:)


Pair up the 8 sets of 1 1/2" squares
 and make four 4 patch blocks.


The four patch blocks should also measure
 2 1/2" square each at this point.



Place the remaining 2 1/2" square 
in the center of a small
 Bee in my Bonnet Design Board.

Lay the half square triangles 
and the 4 patch blocks around it 
just like this.

The only tricky part about sewing
 these pieces together is 
making sure that they are all
 going the right way.
Using the design board helps so much!

Now you basically have a nine patch
 to sew together into 3 rows...
 and then sew those 3 rows together.



YaY!



This little block is a gem lol
pun intended!



Here's the back of my block:)



Now sew the remaining three blocks 
for a total of four.

We will use all four in the quilt.
I don't know yet if we will 
sew them together into 
one big block like this...



Or sew them into a row...
 or scatter them throughout.

I'll know more as each vintage block tutorials keep coming!



I sure do love these little jewels
and wherever I put them in the quilt ...
I know that they will shine!



Each Rhinestone Block should measure
 6 1/2" square unfinished 
and will measure 6" square 
when sewn into the quilt.



I will see you here next Thursday 
for anther vintage block 
or if I have time this weekend 
I may do one then as well.

If you are just joining the
 Vintage Block Along...YaY!

Here are the first four blocks.
Click on each one below 
to go to that tutorial:



Thanks for sewing vintage with me
 and we will chat again soon!
xx
Lori


7 comments:

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Love the blocks. Great that you still have some of your grandma's hand-written recipes. So precious.

queenie said...

Cute blocks and Have a few of those pins too! Very special to have those handwritten recipes:)

Maf29 said...

Oh my gosh I love this block! Thanks so much for sharing and going into all that detail. I can't wait to try it. I am a little late in getting on board. thanks again

Vicki Treadway said...

Thank you so much for this series! I have a lot of feedsack fabric (along with scraps and random pieced squares) for my husband’s grandmother. I am planning on using your grandmother’s patterns and the feedsack fabric. I have just taken 8 of her small pieced squares and framed them for all the granddaughters and great granddaughters.
I too, have my mother’s and grandmother’s recipe boxes. They are very dear to me.

Regina said...

Thank you for yet another precious vintage block! I can't wait to try it. I finally got my "chicken wire" fabric for my basket block, so can't wait to make that one and this one! Sew many possibilities ans sew little time!
Lori, what about creating some fabric with your grandmother's hand-written recipes?
Blessings,
Regina

Mary said...

I love these blocks and I love your stories I can so relate to some of them !!!!!!!! have some similar pins from my grandma and the recipes also!!!!!!!! love everything you make!!!!!!! I can't wait to make these. love your blog!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

hi lori i write from mexico city i love your work. i am working intis wonderfull proyect of vintage. i love the way you make the relation of the block with your history and the images you use

Related Posts with Thumbnails