Thursday, January 10, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Block Four - Little Farmhouse Block Tutorial!!



Welcome to another episode of the

I have another vintage block 
from my grandma's basket
 to share with you today:)

I call it "Little Farmhouse" 
after my grandma's house of course!


I made the window in yellow because
 grandma always kept the 
front light on for us:)


Here's the photo of her 
little farmhouse that I 
showed you in the last post.




There are a lot of colors to choose from in my Farm Girl Vintage fabric collection...

And I chose these colors because 
they were 2 of her favorites.


Grandma had a turquoise and pink kitchen.
(she also had a pink sofa and 
deep turquoise chairs in her front room.
The chairs turned all the way around
 and us kids would spin in them
 until we either got sick or 
grandma finally told us to stop:)

I loved her house and everything in it!
She had the entire set of
 Turqoise Butterprint PYREX 
and she used them everyday.




She also used these pink
 Melmac dishes everyday as well.
I look at these dishes and think 
of her cooking...her Sunday dinner 
potatoes and gravy was the best.

She made the best sandwiches 
for lunch and always cut mine in half 
on the diagonal 
(half square triangle lol)
 and and then put it on a pink plate:)


Grandma was of course a farm wife
 so she canned and preserved 
everything that she could.

She made the most amazing sweet pickles
 at the end of every summer.
She had to keep them in big 
old pottery crocks and do 
something different to the 
pickle water every day.


I remember helping her rinse them...
those crocks were big and heavy!
It took about 2 months and they
were the crunchiest pickles ever.

When Mr.Honey and I got married...
 she soon found out that he loved them
 and then every year she gave him
 a jar at Christmas time.



Grandma had a Shawnee Pig Cookie Jar 
that Uncle Bruce gave to her.
 He was her oldest.
Mr.Pig lived on the counter next 
to the fridge and every one
 of us grandkids knew it!

She was the typical grandma who always
 had it filled with  homemade cookies.

Most of the time they were her 
banana cookies and she always frosted them.


Grandma loved rhinestone 
pins and she wore
 one pretty much every day.
She especially loved to wear them 
to reflect the season or the holiday.
I like to wear one once in a while
 because it makes me think of her:)

I remember picking one out every now 
and then while we were shopping downtown.
 Mom and my 3 older sisters often went shopping with grandma.
We would go to ZCMI 
(her favorite department store)
And then look for fabric and
 sewing patterns.
We would eat lunch there too:)


We listened to records 
while we were at Grandma's.
 She loved beautiful music and
 she even had some 
silly songs that we 
loved to listen to such as  
"Who Threw the Overalls 
in Mrs. Murphy's Chowder?" 
by Bing Crosby
lol
(I may or may not just googled 
it and I'm listening to it now)


Here are the Farm Girl Vintage prints
 that I chose....and here is 
the vintage block pattern...
originally called House on the Hill
 and is 12" x 12" finished.
You will need a background
 and 5 other fabrics.



From the background cut:
4 - 3 1/2" x 3 1/2"
1 - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"
2 - 2" x 2 1/2"



Fabric One: 
1 - 3 1/2" x 12 1/2"



Fabric Two:
1 - 3 1/2" x 4 1/2"
2 - 3 1/2" x 3 1/2"
2 - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"
1 - 2" x 2 1/2"


Fabric Three:
1 - 3 1/2" x 9 1/2"
2 - 2" x 2 1/2"



Fabric Four:
1 - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"



Fabric Five:
1 - 2" x 2 1/2"


Use these two 3 1/2" squares 
to make one half square triangle.


Mark a line or use the 
If you want to know how
 I put it on my machine...


Set it aside for later 
when it's completed:)



Use these two 3 1/2" squares
 to make an easy corner triangle
 onto each side of the roof.



Make sure that you sew them 
going the right direction.
It should look like this.



These are my 1 1/2" squares 
from the trimmings:)



It's time to put these in the bins...
the scrappy square drawers are getting full!



Pair up these smallest rectangles
 and sew them together...  



for the window and the chimneys.


Now you can lay your pieces out 
into 4 rows like this...



And sew them together.



Sew the four rows together 
and you have a pretty 
Little Farmhouse Block
with a flower garden in front!


The back of my block:)


I just love this block and it's 
super easy and quick to sew together.



Here are the first four blocks 
and I am in love with how 
they look together...
just hangin out in all of their
 vintage block glory!!

If you missed the first three 
vintage block tutorials...
or want to know more about this 
Vintage Block Along
click on these links:










9 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

Love this block and all the wonderful memories attached to it. I lost both my grandma's at a young age, but aunts and uncles and my grandma's sisters from my mom's side made up for it - and am reminded of the close happy bond we had growing up. Thank you for sharing your happy childhood :)!

Cindy Otto said...

Love your vintage pictures! Our Grandmas were the best! Such fond memories. Thank you for sharing.

Janet Taber said...

I didn't think I had time to do this quilt-along, but today you hooked me. It was the pink Melmac dishes that did it. Crazy, huh? But my grandmother had those, too, not all pink but multi-colored. All I have of her set are two plates, ONE TURQUOISE AND ONE PINK! This is a sign! I have to make this quilt in memory of my beloved grandmother. I wear an apron she made me in 1979 almost every day. What am I going to do when it wears out? Still, I decided wearing it was preferable to saving it. I'm loving your blocks and am going to TRY to find time to catch up on the first four blocks later this week. Thanks for sharing such simple, sweet memories of an era that is so meaningful to me.

Brenda Beyer said...

Thank you for sharing your memories of your Grandma! I am so enjoying this sew along!

thepecanlady said...

I love your blocks. And, I love reading your posts about your grandmother. Makes me think of my own. 😊
Thank you for sharing.

Regina said...

I so enjoyed the story of your Grandma! Reminds me so much of my grandma and mom! Such sweet memories! Yes, like Janet said, you hooked me too! I am working on a "candy" quilt and have several others waiting in varying stages of completion...but...I've got to try this one! Thanks so much for sharing! You are a blessing to so many!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I remember a lot of the things in your pictures - I must be getting OLD! LOL

Wendy Hansen said...

Oh wow; reading this blog at work today I have tears in my eyes. I so remember Melmac dishes, my Mom loved turquoise and that's what we had. I lost her in 2002 and I know she would be happy I am sewing. My grandparents lived in Ogden and we took a monthly trip up to see them. My Grandma had a spider pin with black rhinestones that she had on her curtain (don't ask me why.) She loved rhinestone pins also. I love your blog and look forward to it so, so much. Thanks for the QAL. I love reliving the memories I have while I read your blog.

Unknown said...

This has been so much fun so far! I'm loving the stories, and can't wait to see how they all come together.
Quick question...as I was putting it together I noticed I didn't have the 2 x 2.5 piece for the house body cut out, so I went back and checked. Is it listed and I'm just not seeing it? Which is entirely possible lol! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails