Monday, February 18, 2019

Farm Sweet Farm Sew Along - Week Four - Trees Block!!

Welcome to the farm!


It's week four in the 
Farm Sweet Farm Sew Along 
and we are going to make trees today:)



We are using Farm Girl Vintage fabric...






And making the 
Farm Sweet Farm Quilt!

if you are just joining us
 and want to know all about it!



My tree block kit is all cut 
and laid out on a small design board.
You should have all of your pieces cut by following the sew along guide...
easy peasy!!

Farm Sweet Farm
Sew Simple Shapes:
H4 - 3
H15 - 12
H22 - 3
H36 - 3



Let's talk about the strips:)

Run the tree trunk strips 
through the 1" bias tape maker 
and press one end under 
for the bottom of each trunk.

Run the Cottage Circles strip
 through the 1/2" bias tape maker 
to use for the swing.
The swing will need to finish at
 2 1/4" wide so cut it about 3" long
 and press the ends under.

From your spool of prepared stem strips 
cut a 7 1/2" - 6 1/2" - 6" - 4 1/2"
 and two 3 1/2" for the flower stems.


Grab your traced interfacing pieces
 because its time to sew the shapes!


Before you turn the tree and 
the daisy shapes you will need
 to clip the cleavage areas.


Turn...shape and press:)


Here's what my block looks like
 all pinned and ready for Sue Glue.
I used 2 large design boards 
to lay out the block:)
I took some close up pictures 
of my block that will help you
 in laying yours out:)


First of all...
I decided that I'm going to sew the
 left side of the block directly 
to the right side of the 
barn block when it's finished...
without trimming any background 
from the left side.
The tree is 1/4" from the edge finished...
so I pinned it 1/2" in from the edge
 to allow for the 1/4" seam allowance
 when it comes time to sew them together.


Same goes for the coral daisy 
on that same side...
I pinned about 1/2" in from the left.


By the way...
this extra leaf will be appliquéd 
over that seam after sewing
 to the barn block 
so I put it aside until later:)


The measurement from the left edge
 of the background to the 
leaf outside edge on the right side 
(the one on the stem of the yellow flower)
 is 16 3/4"...
so don't let your design 
go any wider than that:)

I measured up 2" from the bottom edge
 of my fabric and pinned the 
lowest tree trunk bottom there.

When I trim off the 
bottom background edge after applique...
 I'll trim off about 1 1/4".


The shortest trunk measures
 about 2 3/4" up to 
where the treetop is.


The trunk for that tree 
measures about 6" long.


The tree trunk on the left
 measures about 7 1/2" long.


It measures about 7" wide 
from the outside edges 
of all three tree trunks.



The entire height of this tree
 from the very top to the bottom 
of the trunk measures 15"


The center tree measures 15 1/2" tall...


And the far right tree measures 14" tall.



You can use these measurements
 to see how I spaced 
the flowers in between the trees:)


After I glued everything
 I took out the pins and
 put on the rulers and my heavy 
bumble bee rock so glue can dry.


I pinned my leaf in the 
tractor pincushion for safe keeping!


Fast forward a few days...
 and the applique is now completed!

Let's talk about the 
Cute Little Buttons 
for the flower centers and apples.


Oh wait...before that I almost forgot
 to tell you that I used 3 strands 
of the dark gray Aurifloss
 for the swing ropes.

Above are the colors of buttons
 that I'm putting on the flowers:)


For the apples...
I'm going to use several sizes 
and styles of red buttons from 
all 3 of my Cute Little Button jars.

I'll sew these on after quilting because
 they are close enough that it will
 be hard to quilt around them.


Before sewing on the buttons 
you will need to press your block 
from the back and trim it to
 17 1/2" wide x 24 1/2" tall.

 I haven't trimmed my block up yet...
I'm waiting until I finish the barn block
 and then I will sew it to the left side
 of that block and trim it up afterwards:)


As a reminder...
instead of starting on the barn block
 next week as planned...
I switched it to doing the 
chicken coop block first:)

Have fun making your trees this week...
and I'll meet you 
right back here next week!!
xx
Lori


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails