Thursday, February 28, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Block 12 - Sweet as Honey!!


Good morning and welcome to the


Today I'm sharing another vintage block
 from my grandma's pattern basket:)



I'm using my 
Farm Girl Vintage fabric collection ...


And my Bee Backgrounds fabric as well:)

 If you are just joining us 
and want to sew vintage blocks with me...
click on each block 
that we have already sewn
 for the tutorial:

8. Humble


Today's tutorial is going to be 
"short and sweet" because I am 
packing my bags and heading out to 
Nashville the cross stitch market.
YaY!
But before I leave I wanted to 
do another block for you.


This popular vintage block that we 
are making today is traditionally
 called Shoo Fly.

As I was thinking what to call mine
 and what it had to do with grandma 
(besides being in her pattern basket) 
...it made me think of 
 something that she said often.


 What she used to say is ...
"You can catch more flies with
 HONEY than with VINEGAR!" 
Meaning of course...
that you should always be 
as sweet as honey if you
 want things to go right!

It's always better to be kind.
One of life's great lessons...
my grandma was a smart lady:)

 I'm calling my little blocks 
"SWEET as HONEY"


These little cuties will finish at
 3" x 3" when we sew them into the quilt.

They are super easy to cut and
 to stitch up and you will need to
 make 10 of them:)

I'm still not sure how many blocks
 we are doing but I am not ready 
to wrap it up yet because there are 
"sew many" great block patterns
in grandma's basket:)

I hope you are simply 
enjoying the journey with me and
 not worrying about the end result because
 it will be taken care of in time:)


I've paired up one print with 
one background to make the blocks.

For ONE block you will need to cut:
From the Print- 5 - 1 1/2" squares
From the Background - 8 - 1 1/2" squares



I'll walk you through one block first:)
Grab the 5 print squares and
 just 4 of the background squares...


And sew them into a 9-patch like this!
Then take the remaining 
4 background squares...


And add an easy corner triangle
 onto every corner:)
Either mark the lines or use my 
If you want to sew 
how I put it on my machine 


All sewn...


and ready to trim.


Press and you have a 
cute little easy peasy block...
SWEET as HONEY
Of course you could make 
four half square triangles first 
and then sew them all 
together into a 9-Patch.

I think because they are 
1 1/2" squares and small...
that's a little too fiddly 
when it's just easier to
 add the easy corners at the end:)


Repeat for the other 9 blocks.
First make them all into 9 patches.


Add the easy corner triangles...


trim...


And press!


I really do think these little blocks are SWEET as HONEY!


They should each measure 
3 1/2" x 3 1/2" BEFORE 
we sew them into our quilt 
that we will be making 
at the end of this sew along!!
I promise it's going to be so cute:)


Thanks for sewing vintage with me today!
Tune in next week for 
another episode of the 
Vintage Block Along:)
xx
Lori


P.S. Some of you may be wondering why
 I am going to cross stitch market.

Did you know that I am 
designing cross stitch patterns too?
So far I've done:

Right now there is a stitch along
 that Kimberly over at Fat Quarter Shop 
is hosting called the 
Quilters Cottage Stitch Along

to find out about the stitch along 
and the weekly giveaway 
by Fat Quarter Shop

to watch the video tutorials
 by Kimberly for beginning cross stitch.
They are really fun 
and Kimberly's a hoot!


6 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

These are so super cute - love that they are made with 1.5" squares - my jars are overflowing with them :)! Enjoy your time in Nashville. Love your cross-stitch patterns, and hope to start on two of them soon.

Regina said...

Adorable blocks, Lori! You give me the courage to work with the tiny squares. Yes, the journey is so much fun, and I am learning so much from you. I know the finished
quilt will be beautiful! Thanks again.

Brenda Beyer said...

Love this weeks block! Have a great time at the Cross Stitch market! Can’t wait to hear about it!

Amandalee said...

I’m from Tennessee and hope u enjoy ur stay in our beautiful state!!! ur awesome Lori!!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE these vintage blocks! Will there be a book of them??? I have a feeling Kimberly Jolly of Fat Quarter Shop would produce a book of these blocks. Can't wait to hear!

Suzy D said...

Keep going Lori Holt!, I'm hoping that this will be a nice big quilt, I am loving this block along and the lovely grandma block stories - she sounds amazing :-) Suzy D

Related Posts with Thumbnails