Thursday, March 28, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Week 15 - Memory and Granny Square Blocks!!


Well hello again and thanks
 sew much for tuning in to my


Today I have another vintage block 
from my grandma's pattern basket 
to share with you:)



I'm using Farm Girl Vintage Fabric...


And today I'm going to 
show you how to make the 
MEMORY BLOCK

I made 2 different versions
 to show you of this block.
You can choose which version 
you would like to make for your quilt!


This was a very popular block 
and it was commonly known as the
 Album Block...
the Friendship Block or the
 Signature Block.

Grandma and her sisters often made 
these kind of quilts to commemorate
 an event or as a gift to someone
 who was moving or retiring etc.
Each woman would make a block
 and embroider their name on it 
and then all of the blocks 
would be sewn  together and quilted:)

You can find many different 
kinds of vintage signature quilts
 still around today and I think
 that they are so sweet!


I decided to write grandma's first
 and middle name on my quilt.
I wrote mine in pencil 
(the first photo) 
because I wanted to 
embroider her name in red.

I wrote this one with a 
micron pigma pen 
just to show you that if you 
don't want to embroider you can
just write it with this type of pen
 because it's permanent on fabric
 and will not smear or wash away.

Whichever way you decide 
to do the signature...
you will need to cut a piece of
 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" fabric
to write the name onto.
I use Riley Blake
 Confetti Cotton in CLOUD.
That is the solid that matches 
all of my Bee Background fabrics
 and of course my Farm Girl Vintage.


For the remaining background 
you will need to cut:
2 - 2 1/2" squares
12 - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangles


From the print you will need to cut:
8 - 2 1/2" squares


Simply lay your pieces out
 into rows like this and sew together.


Then sew the rows together
 and your block will look like this!


Remember when we did the 
 and we used the 
12 1/2" Trim-It Ruler?


Well you trim this block up 
the exact same way except you 
will need to use a


Lay the ruler on top of the
 block like this and use all of the
 lines on the ruler to make sure 
everything is centered.


Trim away the excess like this!
Your block will now measure
 9 1/2" square...
easy peasy!


Whoops!
I was going to embroider grandma's name
 first before trimming but I 
got too excited to show you
 the next step lol!
Anyhoo...
I used 3 strands of my red Aurifloss
 and a backstitch...
and of course a
french knot to dot the "i"


MEMORY BLOCK
9 1/2" x 9 1/2" BEFORE
you sew it into your quilt.


Sometimes they set their
 blocks on point and 
sewed alternate blocks with 
colorful feedsack prints in-between.

This block is very simple
 and very versatile!


Now for the other version 
without the signature.
It's sewn the exact same way...
and here is cutting:
Yellow - 1 - 2 1/2" square
Teal - 4 - 2 1/2" squares
Coral - 8 - 2 1/2" squares
Background - 12 - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangles.


Sew it and trim it up 
the exact same way with the


Cute!
This block is just a smaller version 
of my Great Granny Square Block ...
from my book called 
I guess we can just call 
this one a Granny Square Block!


An entire quilt made from my 
Granny Square Block would be 
sew super cute and 
scrappy happy vintage:)


Now that I'm back from retreat 
I'll be here next week with
 another popular vintage block 
tutorial that I want to
 add to my quilt.

If you are just joining us 
here is the list and links to the
 blocks that we have made so far:

8. Humble

6 comments:

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Just beautiful!

Kathy Reeves said...

I have had such a great stash busting time with these blocks, thank you Lori, for your hard work in transferring them into rotary friendly patterns!

Terry J said...

I really love all these blocks that are sharing with us Lori. I want to start working on these soon. Do you have or will you have yardage information available? I have one of your new bundles of Farm Girl Vintage-is that going to be enough? Thank you

Regina said...

Another adorable block! What a sweet way to remember friends. Thank you for sharing such a special little block, Lori!
Blessings to you!

Elizabeth Davis said...

My grandmother's name was Mildred Lois. Very similar.

Pam L said...

I am going to have to make two of these - one for each grandmother💕. Thank you Lori for another fun project😊

Related Posts with Thumbnails