Thursday, June 13, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Week 21 - 4th of July Flag!!


Well hello there vintage block lovers!!
Welcome to week 21 and 
a new tutorial from our 
Vintage Block Along



Grandma was very patriotic and also...
she was born on the 24th of July 
which is a holiday here in UTAH 
and we celebrate it 
just like we do the 4th of July.

Because of both holidays 
and also grandmas birthday...
it seemed that the entire month of July 
was just one big celebration 
of the red white and blue ...
and we all loved it!!

I could not even think about
 doing a vintage quilt block quilt
 without including a flag! 



For this sew along I'm using my
 Farm Girl Vintage Fabric...



Along with my Bee Backgrounds:)



I love love love this
 4th of July Flag block 
and I'm going to make another block
 as a mini quilt to hang 
on my wall for July:)



Long may she wave!!



I grabbed a variety of 
red white and blue and started cutting...


I started with these 4 prints 
and added a few.
The order of this tutorial
 is a little different 
than the other weeks...
so bear with me please:)



First up you will need to 
make one SPARKLERS block
 from the tutorial last week:)

Cutting and sewing is exactly the same...
the only difference is that 
the blue is the background 
and the white is the star.


See what I mean?
It's the exact same block...
just the colors are switched:)
if you need that tutorial from last week.


Here's a close up of my 
segment that I used for the corners.
I decided to use the red chicken tracks background from Farm Girl Vintage 
along with the denim circles from 
Bee Background together because
 I think it adds more interest.


For the blue part...
I chose to use my denim 
chicken wire print for the center square
 and the four rectangles 
just to mix it up a bit.

 I like how it compliments my
 denim canning directions text print.



Your SPARKLERS BLOCK should measure
 7 1/2" square at this point...
and it makes a super cute flag star 
if I do say so myself...
and YES!
 I totally had this all planned out 
so that we would use the Sparkler block 
from last week to go into 
this weeks flag block:)

Now let's talk about 
cutting the flag stripes!


I chose to use my red penmanship print 
from my Bee Backgrounds 
for the white stripes.
You could make the letters
 horizontal or vertical...
just make sure to cut them straight lol

You will need to cut:
3 - 1 1/2" x 13 1/2" strips 
for the top part of the flag
3 - 1 1/2" x 20 1/2" strips 
for the bottom part 


I selected this red first and 
decided to go scrappy and 
add more reds in from 
a few of my collections.

You can go scrappy too...
or cut all of the red stripes
 from one print.

You will need to cut a total of:
4 - 1 1/2" x 13 1/2" 
for the top of flag
3 - 1 1/2" x 20 1/2" 
for the bottom


By the way...
looky at this little 
patriotic sweetie:)

She was made for me by 
Jenn Meglon who is an amazing 
artist don't you think?


Close up:)



A while ago...
Jenn also custom made a
 Bee in my Bonnet 
mini me lol...complete with one of
 my vintage sewing machines...
my Bloom quilt...quilty fun quilt blocks
 and my gingham tomato pincushion!


Okay...enough show and tell...
back to the flag making:)

Once your star is complete 
you just need to sew the 
short stripes and the
 long stripes together...


And sew them into a flag...


Like this!


I did press my seams open...
I just forgot to 
take a photo of the back:)


4th of July Flag Block
should measure 
13 1/2" tall x 20 1/2" wide
 BEFORE we sew it into our quilt:)


I hope y'all have fun 
making your flag and bee sure to
 "tune in" to next weeks episode 
of the Vintage Block Along...
it's gonna be another fun one!
xx
Lori



If you are new and just joining in...
Click on each one block
to go to that tutorial:

8. Humble
15. Memory
19. Picnic

8 comments:

Kat Carter said...

Love this! I have collected way too much red, white, and blue fabric over the years, in an attempt to make several large quilts. I am always “too busy to sew”, and my 4th machine just bit the dust! This is a small, obtainable project I KNOW I can get done before the 4th.
Thanks!!!
Kat

Terry J said...

The flag block is awesome! Just in time to make it up for the 4th! The special dolls were great to see also!

Libby said...

Thank you so much....this little "4th of July Flag" is so adoreable.
You are so awesome and thanks for all the inspiration !

Verveine&Lin said...

I love these patriotic colors !
Those are also French flag colors !
Happy quilting,

Muriel la FranƧaise

Sam I Am...... said...

Just started following you on IG and I am doing the SAL of the Sew She Did. I doubt if I'll be able to keep up as I am making gifts for quite a few birthdays in July, then there's Jolly July and I belong to a Ravelry Group but...........that flag and all your other darling projects are luring me in! LOL! I think that flag will be the start of a long relationship! LOL! I love your details....like the tags with your fabrics. Do you do that with all your quilts? I'm just starting back quilting so need to catch up on ' tips and techniques'. I also keep hearing Kimberly quote you about everything being pretty and that resonated with me because I love pretty and especially cozy but I need to be frugal so little things like the flag block and your tags I thought were just darling. Your nails are pretty too but I garden so that is out of the question! LOL! Thank you for being you and for sharing your talent with all of us! FYI...I graduated from HS in '67...I could have been your babysitter! Cute picture on your header.

Marie Chat said...

This is one of the best flag designs/blocks I've seen. Even though I probably have fabrics to make it, I'd love a kit to make like yours!! Thanks so much for this pattern design. (I bet Kimberly would make up a kit for us!)

ptmemaw said...

Oh...Miss �� love this adorable Flag block! Your Miss Bee’s are perfection, the artist did you proud. So cute!

GeneGribouille03 said...

I like this block and the work of your friend so lovely have a good day GeneviĆØve de France

Related Posts with Thumbnails