Thursday, June 20, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Week 22 - Playing Card Block!!


Welcome to Week 22 in the 
Vintage Block Along!


Today I'm sharing another block 
with you from my 
Grandma's pattern basket...
and all of our blocks will
 eventually become a quilt!





I'm using my 
Farm Girl Vintage fabric collection 
for all of my blocks...



Along with my Bee Backgrounds


This block is a good old 
tried and true vintage block
 and it's original name is 
Old Maids Puzzle 
which was then made by cutting templates 
and piecing with difficult
 on the bias angles.

I've re- drafted it for rotary cutting and
I'm naming my block
PLAYING CARD
because of the many hours 
that I spent (and my family spent)
 playing cards with grandma:)
From the time we were young...
we rarely left grandma's house
 without playing a game with her
 and it was cards most of the time.


I snapped this photo of her 
during one of those card games
 just a few months before she 
passed away at age 95.
She loved the competion and
 she was fierce lol!... 
and she loved visiting while we played:)



I miss so many things about her...
especially her smile and her laugh.

She always wore jewelry and 
most of the time she had a necklace on
 and she would constantly be 
playing with it...
this picture reminds me of that:)



I just had to include a block named 
Playing Card and so this is the one
 that I chose from her basket 
that looked like it was 
meant to be the one.



I used one background and three prints ...
in red and black of course!



From the the background 
you will need to cut:
2 - 2" x 3 1/2 rectangles
12 - 2" squares



From this print cut:
2 - 3 1/2" squares



From this print cut:
2 - 2" squares



From this print cut:
4 - 2" squares



Let's get started on the first segments.
Grab 2 of the background and 
red squares along with the
 2 background rectangles...



And sew them together like this.
They should each measure
 3 1/2" square at the point.



Now grab the 2 - 3 1 2" squares 
and 2 more background squares 
because you are going to add 
easy corner triangles to the segments.



Sew from corner to corner by using the
 Seams Sew Easy Guide 
or drawing a line.
I like to poke in a pin 
just to guide me 
right where it needs to line up
 with the red point underneath...



Like this.



Perfect!
This is what it should look like
after adding the pink 
easy corner triangle.

Now add the background one
 to the red corner...


Trim away the excess and press.

Easy peasy to make these segments
 this way because we are
 eliminating bias cuts...yay!

They should each still
 measure 3 1/2" square.


Set them back onto your design board 
and lets make 4 patch segments
 with these 8 squares:)


Your 4 patch segments should also 
measure 3 1/2" square at this point.

Now grab the remaining 4 
background squares and add 
easy corner triangles 
onto the black squares...


Use the 
or mark a line.


Trim...


And press!
These should still measure 3 1/2" square.


Now lay your segments out onto your
 design board like this 
and sew your block together:)


Fun and Done!
PLAYING CARD 
should measure 6 1/2" square 
before we sew it into our quilt:)


This is the back of my block...
you can see how I pressed mine.


I love this block and I still love 
playing cards with my mom ...
and of course my own family:)

We play often and I 
think of grandma every time:)


Thanks for sewing vintage 
with me this week...
I'll be here next week 
with another vintage block for you:)
xx
Lori



If you are new and just joining in...
Click on each one block
to go to that tutorial:

8. Humble
15. Memory
19. Picnic
20. Sparklers





3 comments:

Unknown said...

i love your stories with Grandma! Equally I absolutely love the photos from your studio. do you change your curtains often? I swear I never see the same ones in there. You are truly an inspiration. I learned to sew on an old 1920's featherweight that my aunt used in WW1 to do alterations. She also worked in the factory, the original Rosie the Riviter. I was only 6 when I learned. And have since sewn all kinds of things, but never did quilting until now. So your tutorials really help. Step by step I am getting there. My daddy grew up on a farm and in the winter Great Grandma would get out the quilt frame and he would sit under, she would push the needle down and he would push it back up to her. He was quite the quilter. Keep up the great instructions...ill get there! thanks, Deb

Margie said...

Love the stories! Both my grandmothers were such a huge and wonderful part of my life. I too miss their smiles and laughs so much, they each had such a unique laugh. It's the little things, like you said she would play with her necklace, that we remember with such fondness. ❤️️

Mary said...

I love your blog and these blocks that you are dedicating to your grandma and the stories you are sharing with us. My nana is responsible for all the good in me and the reason I finally learned to quilt because I remember sitting under her quilting frame when all the ladies came over for an old fashion quilting bee or when she would just quilt on it by herself and the stories I would hear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails