Thursday, August 8, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Week 28 - Wildflowers Block!!


Good morning and welcome
 to episode 28 of the 






This week I'm sharing 
another vintage block from my
 grandma's pattern basket:)





I'm using Farm Girl Vintage 
fabric as well as
 Bee Backgrounds.



This block is another one of those
 tried and true traditional vintage blocks.

Grandma had several versions of it
 in her pattern basket...
each with different names like 
Goose Tracks...Turkey Tracks...
Cross and Crown etc.
I'm naming mine
 WILDFLOWERS 


When we were young...
we had plenty of
 pastures to play in...
both at home and also at grandma's house.

Often the fields were 
dotted here and there 
with wildflowers...
a welcome decoration I always thought!

They had been planted there
 by the autumn wind...
which carries seeds from spent flowers
 in the fall breeze...
landing on the soil and waiting
 for the spring rains to
 soften and sprout them...
 and grow them into a flower:)

When I would come across an
 abundant patch of happy wildflowers... 
 they would seem to be 
nodding their heads at me...
saying "take me inside!"


These simple little bouquets were
 always the sweetest and the best
 and often adorned grandma's kitchen table
 as well as my mom's kitchen windowsill.

Bringing just some of the beauty
 of the outdoors inside
 her little farmhouse.
I still love cutting flowers
 and bringing them inside:)


Even though this vintage block 
has many names that do not have anything
 to do with flowers at all...
to me they look like the 
top view of wildflowers 
growing out in the pasture:) 

 I love the possibility of
 all different color combinations 
for each block...
just like in real flowers!!


We will need to make two of these
 Wildflower Blocks for our quilt...
but I'll just show you
 cutting and directions for one.


From the background 
you will need to cut:
12 - 2" squares
4 - 1 1/2" x 3 1/2"



From this print cut:
4 - 3 1/2" squares



From this print cut:
4 - 2" squares
4 - 2" x 3 1/2"



From this print cut:
5 - 1 1/2" squares



Grab the pink prints and 
4 of the background squares...



And sew them into sections like this.
They should each 
measure 3 1/2" square.
Now grab the 8 remaining
 background squares
to make easy corner triangles.



Sew one onto each of these
 opposite corners so that 
your segments look like this.



Your segments should still
 measure 3 1/2" square.

Now grab the yellow squares 
and sew an easy corner triangle
 onto the bottom of the segments.



As usual...
either mark a diagonal line
 or use the



This is how you will
 layer the two pieces and sew.



After sewing this is what it looks like!



Trim off the excess and press:)

Your 4 segments should still
 measure 3 1/2" square:) 


One more easy corner triangle 
to add to the bottom corner of each one.



Easy peasy....



And cute!!



Now it's time to 
lay out your segments and pieces
 onto your design board 
and sew them into a block:)
YaY!!



WILDFLOWERS
should measure 7 1/2" x 7 1/2" square 
BEFORE we sew it into our quilt.



This is what the back 
of my block looks like.


Don't forget to make two wildflowers!

Have fun with your 
fabrics and color choices.
I can't wait to see them on 
Thanks for joining me today 
and I hope you love the tutorial:)

Tune in next week for 
another vintage block and 
another vintage memory!
xx
Lori


If you are just joining us...
click on each block that we have
 done so far to go to the tutorial:


8. Humble
15. Memory
19. Picnic
20. Sparklers
26. Parade


4 comments:

julieQ said...

Lori thank you so very much. I know this takes tons of time for you, and I am only eight blocks behind lol! Working hard to catch up!

Rita Grider said...

Lori, I have loved your patterns forever. I know you are great at design. But I didn't know how eloquent you are. Your description of the wildflower fields and collecting those wildflowers was really really lovely.
I'm going to make the granny's garden quilt. I can't wait.

Carla said...

Love these blocks. It's always amazing to me how the varying colors change the look of the block.

Greta said...

I just love you stories about the wildflowers and i also used to live on a farm it bought back Beautiful memories. Of Dundee Michigan.and cows. I am planning to make the blocks when i ever get the time with work a hubbie and 5 grandchildren .time is always short .love love your Blocks

Related Posts with Thumbnails