Thursday, June 4, 2009

Spring Garden

I'd like you to see what I see when I'm out in my garden right now, and this is the time of year that I am out there alot. My dark and light pink peonys are almost finished for the season, but my white ones are still in budding stage.

So soft and fluffy, just like a powder puff! Kassidy took this close up of her favorite peony. I could learn a thing or two from her, she is a natural at photography. Everytime I try to take a close shot it comes out fuzzy...I don't know how she got this one!



Some of the Daylilies are starting to open up their blossoms to sway gracefully in the breeze.



Periwinkle blooms cheerfully peek out amongst the varigated foilage. They are happy in the shade of the giant snowball bush.




This tall flower is actually an herb called "Angelica". It grows in my garden to about 5 feet tall. It doesn't really have a scent but I think the white flowers are beautiful.





These Strawflowers have always been a reliable early spring bloomer. It's a perrenial and has nice rounded shape also and grows about 3 feet tall and wide. The foilage always looks fresh and green even when it's not in bloom.






"Lamb's Ears" are a mainstay in my garden and are scattered throughout the beds.

It's a very old herb and I love it for the silvery gray green leaves that actually are shaped like a lamb's ear and feels very fuzzy and soft just like lamb's ears do.

I know because I spent alot of time feeding and playing with lambs in the spring as a girl. My Dad has always raised sheep. I do not like the flower at all and cut it off as soon as they bloom. I grow this only for the foilage.

Another note of interest about this plant is that it is told it was used for bandages for soldiers in during the Civil War as they ran short of medical supplies. It is very thick and hard to tear and as I said, soft. I can see how it certainly could be used that way!!!





This is Johnsons Blue Geranium. I have several of these and you can see for yourself why. The bright blue blossoms are a rare color in a flower and they look stunning next to my yellow daylilies and pink Jupiters beard.






This is another herb that I grow alot. It's called Sweet Woodruff and makes a lovely groundcover for shady spots. I love the way it skirts around my hostas and boxwood in my front yard garden.
In the spring it gets these cute little white flowers and the rest of the season, the foilage stays bright green and fresh looking
.



These are the luscious flowers on my snowball bush that is in a corner of my front yard. It's about 12 feet tall and several years ago I planted a purple clematis at it's base and it grows up through the shrub nicely. It's almost ready to bloom and I'll try to remember to take a photo to show you as it is worth seeing!




I have alot of old fashioned flowers and "pinks" are some of my favorite. Sorry the pic is a little fuzzy.




One of my Hosta's after a good rain.




And last of all, the pride of my garden are my David Austin Roses. They are just beginning to bloom and I have several varietys so I'm sure this is not the last you will see of them.

This pink one is Gertrude Jeckel. All of the David Austins have a strong old fashioned rose fragrance but each variety has it's own scent, from sweet to lemony or citrus. They are pure heaven in the garden, let me tell you!!!





I can't remember what this deep purpley pink rose is called but I know it's a very old variety english rose that dates way back. It might be called William Shakespear. It is always the first rose of the season and I can count on having it to cut and place on my grandpa's grave June 1st for his birthday.


I hope you enjoyed seeing a few of the things that I see and smell in my garden so far...I really love this time of year and being able to get out and work the soil!!!


I am leaving in the morning on our first family camping trip of the season. The trailer is packed, and we are off to the canyons for a long weekend...



post signature

11 comments:

dream quilt create said...

Your flowers are gorgeous and your descriptions and stories were very interestting. My absolute favorite flowers are peonies and lilacs. They both remind me of growing up and the fragrance of them brings back so many memories. Lily of the valley too. Have a great vacation.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

This was a wonderful flower show with guide this morning! Thank you!

Nielson said...

I can smell those from here! They look amazing! Have fun on your trip!

Sherri said...

Your flowers are absolutely gorgeous!

Funoldhag said...

Thank you, thank you for the garden tour!! Absolutely beautiful. I adore gardening and have done so much of it in the past and still do but it's container gardening now since I am in a condo. I just last week planted my pots and hung my baskets, so it does look festive at my house now. Carol

Loralynn said...

Lovely flowers!

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm glad I caught up on my blogs...this is so good. I like lilies best and have many varieties at the cottage. Peony is so fragrant! Better than roses.
Good descriptions of the plants. I have noted some.
Keep those hands dirty!

Sherry said...

Thanks for the flower show. Everything is just beautiful!

Nanette Merrill said...

I have almost all those in my yard. My lambs ear is just starting to bloom and the bees love lambs ear. Your flowers are beautiful. I don't have peonies and I need to plant some. Love them.

Karen said...

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!

Carrie P. said...

Doesn't God have a great imagination? Beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails