Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Bee in my Bonnet Row Along - Row 3...


Yep...I've added a new row to the quilt!
Row 3.
I will be out of town all next week...
so...
 I am posting this early so that y'all can be rowing while I'm gone:)

You're welcome!

Row 3 is a cute little "filler" row that will go in-between larger and more detailed blocks.

It's an easy peasy...get it done in an afternoon...
kind of zig-zaggy/chubby chevron if you will kind of a row:)




YAY!
Cute squares.



Okay...Cutting complete!


The stitching of the easy corner triangles is exactly like you did with the butterflies.
Sew from corner to corner of each of the  white squares when it is placed on a printed square.
Make sure you either mark your line with a pencil...
or use the Angler 2 as we have discussed already.
Pay attention to the direction that you are sewing so that you end up with the correct shape:)


These little squares go faster if you chain-stitch them...


and if you do both sides before trimming and pressing.


After stitching all squares...
pair them up...


and go ahead and give them a quick press to set the seams...and then trim an approximate 1/4" seam allowance.


Press the seam allowance towards the triangles.

Each square should still measure 
the same size that you cut it...
except now they have 2 small white triangles on opposite corners.

Don't you just love the Easy Corner Triangle method???


Now flip one square over so that together they will form a zig...or a zag...or whatever you are calling it...and take them to your machine to sew together.



*NOTE -When stitching smaller pieces together... 
it may be helpful for you to use an awl.
(some call it a stiletto)
If you haven't used an awl before...here is a little info.
An awl is basically a tool with a point so that helps you hold two pieces of fabric together nicely when sewing.
It's comes in very handy when working with small blocks like we working with in this quilt.

Sometimes when small pieces get close to the feed dogs...they will try to pull them in crooked, and then that distorts the shape and your seam allowance is off.

Use an awl like a little tiny extra finger that can get in there close for better control.
(just be careful not to get it so close that your needle hits it...I've done that before...yikes)




Also...notice that I am sewing in the same direction that I have pressed the seam allowance.
It's always a good idea to do that whenever possible.


After stitching...press these seams open.
Take note that I do not always press my seams open...only when working with small or bulky blocks.


After pressing open from the back...give the front a quick press so that it will be nice and flat.
*Important...remember to PRESS your blocks.
Don't IRON back and forth.
There is a difference.
Pressing means just that...pressing flat.
Ironing pulls your block back and forth and will distort it.

And while we are on the subject...
I do not use steam in my iron.
Steam is HOT water.
Hot water shrinks cotton...
which equals shrunken and distorted blocks.



Finish up all of the sets.



Sew them together in the order that you like...
and press those seam allowance's open also.


Add the background square onto each end...
 fold it in half and trim just like
And just like row 1...row 3 will need to measure the same to fit into the quilt. 


And your row 3 is complete!
Do you like it???

I laid row 3 over a chair in my front room for a photo...it looks bright and cheerful against the white slip cover don't you think?

These rows are are a little bit challenging to photograph...and I love seeing all of your cute and creative pictures on the


Row 1...
Row 2...
and Row 3.


As I have said before...
don't sew the rows together yet.
This is not the order that they will go in but... I like how they are looking together... don't you?

Also...the rows of course will be horizontal in the quilt but it's easier to photograph them going this direction:)


Are you all having fun with the
I sure am.
I'd sure love to hear your thoughts!

 I have had so much fun seeing all of your progress...
You...
of course...
 all are the very best students.



I hope you have a fun quilty week while I'm away.
As I said...
I will be on a retreat for a whole week...(YAY)...with my 
"Fat Quarter Friendly's"
 quilt group and we will be sewing and laughing and shopping and laughing and eating and laughing and then sewing some more and then laughing again and then maybe sleeping in-between.

I plan to have alot of fun and work on lots of fun projects:)
Of course I will tell you all about it when I get back.

xx
Lori

***edit July 2013
The pattern and instructions for the 
Bee in my Bonnet Row Along quilt 
are in my new book
"Quilty Fun"

You can CLICK HERE 
to reserve a copy of your very own!




30 comments:

Mack and Mabel said...

Yay! Thank you. Perfect for what promises to be a cold and wet weekend. It's suddenly got sunnier!

Anita said...

I haven't made the leap yet, but am loving all your rows...they look great together! Thanks for doing this :)

Darlene D said...

So glad you posted early. I'm going to be away at a quilt retreat too, I'm not leaving until Wednesday but this way I'll be able to take this work with me! Enjoy your week!

tealeafquilts said...

Love it! You are a great teacher, so detailed and easy to understand. Can't wait to make my row today!

karen said...

Yes, I am enjoying your tutorials, look forward to them. Your instructions & pictures are very clear. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

sooooo cute!

Carrie P. said...

Oh, boy! can't wait to get started on this row. Now don't have to much fun without us.lol Really, have the best time ever. Look forward to hearing about the retreat.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Have a great retreat Lori! I'm going to jump in and start rowing and hope I can catch up by the time you return!

Maxine said...

I have not jumped in yet, I just finishing the Great Granny Square, that was so much fun..I will say it is important to ready the directions..when I went to add the 5" rectangel..oh my is does not fit panic panic, (everything else when together so smooth)..do I need to rush out and buy more fabric..no reread the instructions, find the center and the 5" rectangle with fit..when I have finished I will jump into this quilt...Lori you give such great instructions (just be sure to read them) and the pictures as you go along are great....Keep up the great work...Enjoy your retreat....

KaHolly said...

Perfect for a windy, rainy weekend by the shore!! Great tute, with lots of little snippets of good advice. Thanks.......and have a blast at your retreat!! ~karen

Elaine said...

I love your tutorials! I haven't started this yet but plan to. Thank you for sharing with us. I love your fabrics too!

Elaine H

Judy said...

Yes, I'm almost done with row two. I need to finish another quilt binding so will keep busy. Thanks

tubakk said...

This is so fun, and you make it so easy for us. Have a good week with your quilting friends. We're waiting for you until you come back.

Alina said...

Lori, thanks for sharing with us this tutorial. I sure have fun so far, although with a 2-year old is a little tough for me. Still, won't give up on it. It's just too much fun. I am just a little behind right now, might be half way through Row 2, hopefully will catch up on it this week.

Have a nice retreat! Hope that someday I would be able to do that too.

Annie said...

I can't wait to get started on this! I have never quilted before, and am not sure that I have the patience for it. But I'm so in love with this bright, scrappy quilt. And I have a pile of bright scraps begging to be used up. And a bright sunny one-year old who will need a big girl bed at some point in her life. Thanks for the super clear instructions and making me feel like I can do it! I will definitely post photos in the flickr group once I start sewing.

Jenny Bonynge said...

Just completed row 2 and simply love those butterflies! Tomorrow begins row 3, another cutie...

gilly said...

Lori, I am having SOOOoo much fun with your Row Along! It's my first ever "Along" so I'm learning a lot as we go along. Your instructions are perfect and so easy to follow along, and I already love how the quilt is taking shape. Row 3 done - can't wait for the next one! Have a happy retreat :-)
xx

Nedra said...

Have a fun week, Lori. Are you going somewhere to relax with the family, or are you teaching?
Love this row along!

Fiber Babble said...

I've just discovered your blog and I'm glad it's Sunday so I can take time to wander around!

Just yesterday I had a discussion with a room full of quilters about steam/no steam. In addition to shrinkage, steam (hot water) allows the fibers in the fabric to relax and stretch out. PLUS, if you have steam 'on' in your iron, you end up with a warm and wet block that can and will stretch out as soon as you move it!

And one more thing about pressing - this is what I always say to students: Ironing is skating, pressing is stomping.

Um... guess who is a quilting teacher? :-)

Anonymous said...

can't wait to get started on this row! very pleased with the rows I have done so far! Just taken my daughter back to uni in oxford so am feeling a bit at a loss:( This is just what I need to keep me busy!

Connie said...

I am loving this quilt along. Hope you have a great retreat, wish I was there. cmt

Rindy said...

I am having a fantastic time with this row-a-long. I'm so excited to be using up some favorite scraps. Thank you very much.

Sherry Smart said...

So very thankful for this tutorial! This is my first attempt at quilting and I'm having so much fun! You're a great instructor and I'm so appreciative. Thank you! Sherry

Nanette Merrill said...

Again I didn't read the directions and I sewed them together. I'll unpick.

Deb said...

Ohmagosh...how can one quilt be sooooo stinkin' cute!!?? I really, really, really wasn't going to "start one more quilt", but I can no longer resist! That 3rd row put me over the edge....the gentle (or not so gentle) push I needed to convince me to make this oh-so-adorable-irresistible-gotta-make-it-quilt. You're a rock star, Lori!!!!!

gillyflower said...

This is looking so pretty, I am sorely tempted to have a go and catch up before you post the next row - what a great way of making a quilt.
Thank you so much for sharing!

Elizabeth's quarters said...

Great tutorial, thanks for sharing. Using an awl (or crochet hook) is a good tip.

Sarah said...

Hi there Lori! I haven't been commenting, but I've been follwoing along with the Row-A-Long! I finally got around to doing a blog post about it, and posted pictures. Sorry for not posting in Flicker though, I'm being stubborn about joining any more social media sites. Thanks for such an inspiring project!

Jan said...

Wow what a great quilt along. Just thinking I may have to kit up some fabric to make this at a later date. Desperately trying to be good and finish off some ufo's at the moment before I allow myself to start something new.

Nan said...

Lori, I'm just starting this project - a little late as always! One question - looks like all rows are 50 1/2" wide, except the first row, which is 48 1/2" wide. Did I miss something on the first row?

Related Posts with Thumbnails