Monday, October 1, 2012

Back on the Farm...


Happy Quilty October everyone!
I just love the Autumn season don't you?

I was able to work on my Farmers Wife one day last week while on retreat.
I don't have very much time to work on projects other than my own...
and I was "sew" happy to have a day to add more blocks to my Farmers Wife quilt.

I love sampler quilts.
I have made many over the years and have taught many sampler series classes...
I never get tired of them!

I have 54 blocks completed so far for my FW quilt.
 I have already shown you 16 blocks last year.

Today...I thought I would show you 12 more of my blocks.


As you know...I love to make scrappy blocks...and after all...a true farmers wife used scraps to make her quilts too:)


I have been using a variety of prints from my stash.

I have combined light cottage-y florals...


 with bright cheery graphic prints...


that some might not think that should go together in one quilt.


But I do...as long as they all have something in common that brings them together.
Which for me is always the same.
 COLOR
Various shades and prints within each color scheme I have chosen.
I have used traditional blocks for my quilt…
many that are different from the book…
but if they are 6" blocks they will work right?

I think they all look very farmers wifey vintagey scrappy happy together:)

All are old tried and true blocks but I love some of the unique names that Laurie came up with for the book:)
Here are 12 new blocks in random order...


#11 Broken Dishes




#3 Basket


#1 Attic Windows


#57 Morning


#35 Flower Basket


#5 Batwing
(redrafted for happier angles:-)


#12 Broken Sugar Bowl



#32 Farmers Daughter


#21 Contrary Wife


#59 Wild Goose Chase


#20 Churn Dash


#61 Northern Lights

I really hated to put my blocks away...but they will just have to wait for another time to come out and play...when that day arrives...I'll show you more!
Have a quilty kind of day:)
xx
Lori

40 comments:

antique quilter said...

I love your blocks! OMG they are just adorable
so nice to see them made in such bright and happy fabrics!
Kathie

TG's resting place said...

Fabulous, just love your fabrics and you combinations, right up my alley!!

Darlene D said...

Beautiful blocks, I think they look great together!

Jocelyn said...

They are all so beautiful & I love how they look together!

Missy Shay said...

I love the fabric you use! I love the addition of brown too. I have a scrappy Martha Washington's Flower Garden that my grandmother made and I just love looking at all the different fabrics, one color that I have noticed is her use of brown. I would have never thought of using it before!

trish said...

I love your blocks Lori!
Your retreat sounds like so much fun and so many beautiful creations to be surrounded by.
I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve, that you are creating for Market!!
Have a wonderful week.
Trish xo

tealeafquilts said...

I love your blocks and your colors! Can't wait to see more!

Jeanette said...

Thank-you for the inspiration. I look forward to your blog posts arriving in my in-box. Very fun stuff here. Great tutorials and well-written.

Jeanette from Elyria, Ohio

sewhappy said...

I love your quilts! You not only choose great fabrics, but your color choices are fantastic! All of your creations are cheerful. I would love it if you would do a tutorial on how to put colors together. This is sooooo hard for me! :) A wrong fabric/color choice can ruin a beautiful project. (Ask me how I know. lol)

Sasha said...

Your FW blocks are amazing!!!! I think they all go together just perfect =D

Julie said...

They are just adorable! It will be such a pretty quilt!

KaHolly said...

Each and every one of your blocks is beautiful. All together, they are stunning!!

sewinglady said...

I love the blocks!

Bev said...

Well that does it. I have been thinking about restarting my FW blocks. Your colors are just phenomenal! I guess that's what makes you such a great designer. I guess I'll start over. You've inspired me! I tried to do mine with no white in the blocks but your blocks look so clean and fresh. I love your FW blocks! Thanks for sharing!

Cheery wave from Bev

Unknown said...

I love your blocks, your fabrics . . . everything! Someday I hope to be able to make a Farmer's Wife Quilt, too! I love 'em! :)

Sherry Of B.S. Crafts said...

Your quilt is going to be stunning! Great work! :)

sewmygosh said...

Good job! Keep 'em coming!

Kristen King said...

What beautiful blocks! Makes me want to change the fabrics I started my farmer's wife blocks with. :)

belarmina said...

todos los bloques son preciosos!!!!
saludos

PamKittyMorning said...

OHMYGOSH they're so wonderful!

Lisa said...

They are all so beautiful! I have the book but never have the time! No I don't make the time for something for me. You do awesome happy work. Whenever I look at something you make it is always sunny and bright. Thank you for being and inspiration.

Ellen in Oregon said...

I very much like your lighthearted color approach to the FW quilt. I do not believe in the fabric police. I love that your color & pattern choices give a traditional pattern a less serious look. One of the things I like best about a quilt pattern is how different each finished quilt looks after the quilter has made it their own via their fabric choices. Can't wait to see it finished, but I already know it will be fabtastic.

Sarah said...

I soooo want to do the Farmer's Wife sometime. I think I might do them with my kids when they are old enough to start doing samplers.

tasha said...

those are soooo cute! i can't wait to get going on mine again. probably after market for me.

are you going?

Anonymous said...

I am currently working on a framers wife quilt also, I have 25 blocks completed and I'm really enjoying the work.

Susie said...

Love them and they are so accurate!

MamaT said...

I love your color choices better than any Farmer's Wife I've seen!

Nanette Merrill said...

Jeally, wish those were mine. So sew cute! Love the blocks.

Within A Quarter Inch said...

yes. YES. and Yes. Yes to sewing something other than your own. YES to using a great range of styles with a colorway. and Yes to showing us! totally inspiring!

Within A Quarter Inch said...

wonderful!

CathyK said...

You do such beautiful work and have an incredible eye for color. Thank you for sharing.

kate brown said...

That is going to be so beautiful when its done!!! I love your colors and fabrics. You just gave me a few great ideas too!! Thanks :)

Material Girls said...

Oh, this made me want to get mine back out. I haven't worked on it for a while but you have inspired me!!
Nadine

ayumills said...

*sigh* all of your blocks are killing me! They are all yummy!!

phillysblarney said...

I love your blog and your quilting. Can you tell me where you got the cherries and bluebird pattern? I luv luv luv applique and would appreciate any information. Thank you!!!!

Sheila said...

I love your blocks!

Bari Jo said...

I like your bat wing much better! I really like the vintage feel you have with all your fabrics - it is very farmer's wifey and the scrappy is so cute - I am getting bolder, stepping out and wanting to learn to add more scrappiness to quilts - thanks for all the great ideas!

Kleine Vingers said...

Love the colors of your blocks.
Greetings

k said...

I love them all and your color choices are fantastic!

DEE said...

Absolutely LOVE your work. Always a place to come to if I need any cheer. Thank you for your posts and tutes! Keep em coming.


Related Posts with Thumbnails