Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Bee in my Bonnet Row Along...Row 5!!


Good morning rowers!!!
It's row along day and it's time for row 5....flying geese!

Here in Utah...
October is the time of year, when in the early morning hours...
I wake up to the sound of honking geese flying overhead. 
I love that sound.
To me it signals the changing of the season and nice change in the weather.
 Crisp cool mornings...
 sunny Autumn afternoons...
 that end with a beautiful harvest moon in the evening.
I just love fall!!!



Are you ready to play???
Good.
Let's start by choosing fabric.


Pull some bits and bobs from your stash in the colors
 of your favorite fall sweaters...


Each flying goose will use 2 different fabrics...
so naturally you will choose 2 fabrics for each goose.

You can pair them up willy nilly or fuss and fret...
it's all up to you!


We will be using the "fast flying geese" method that has been around for a long time...
it's the method that I have always taught to my beginning students and it's the way that I still love to make them.

You will need 12 pairs for a total of 48 geese...
but I got a little carried away and paired up a few extra sets for even more scrappy happiness.


Okay...now onto making a set of the 2 square sizes into 4 flying geese.

First you will be marking stitching lines 
onto the WRONG side of the LARGE square.
The smaller square will be the triangle in the center of the goose....
and will not need to be marked.
Use a mechanical pencil for a nice thin line.


I used this awesome ruler that is 1/2" wide...
and placed it directly across the center diagonally...


and marked a line on each side of the ruler...which means that I marked a stitching line 1/4" away from the center on each side.


Rotate your square and mark again so that it looks like this.
These are your stitching lines.


If you don't have 1/2" wide rulers...no worries.
Just use a small square quilting ruler and mark a line down the center from corner to corner...and then mark 1/4" on each side so that it looks like the lines on the aqua square.


Now that your lines are marked...
you will cut the large square into 4 smaller squares before sewing.
Cut the square exactly in half.


and cutting into 2 rectangles.


Then cut each rectangle in half so that you end up with 4 squares.


Now for the sewing.
Place two marked squares onto the larger square in the set with right sides together...lining up the marked lines.
(they will overlap in the center)


Stitch directly onto the lines that you marked which are 1/4" on each side of the center.


Cut right down the middle...
in between your stitching lines...
like this.


Press towards the small triangles...
and smile at the cute heart shape:)


Now place a remaining square on each half like this.
Always make sure that the corners of both squares are lined up perfectly.



Stitch on both lines again...


and cut them apart again.


Press open...
and you now have 4 flying geese!
YAY!!!
Wasn't that fast and easy and fun to do on a fall day:)



Of course you will want to trim off all of the tiny triangles before sewing them together in a row:)


After you have made a set of 4 and get used to the process...you can chain stitch them if you would like...






Or you can do keep doing them 4 at a time if you want...whatever rows your boat!!!
(pun intended..haha)


When you are finished...
sew them together in sets of 2...
and then sets of 4...
then 8...
 and continue until you have a row of
 fabulous scrappy happy colorful autumn baby flying geese:)


Press all seam allowances towards the bottom of the adjoining triangle for less bulk....and be careful to use a 1/4" seam allowance so that you don't sew off the points of your goose!


Add your background strips to each end and make sure that your row measures correctly so that it will fit into your quilt:)


Flying geese + apples = a happy autumn time:-)


Our row quilt is growing...


And growing!

In 2 weeks it will be November and time for row 6.
Have a flying goose kind of day:-)
xx
Lori

***edit July 2013
The instructions and pattern for the 
Bee in my Bonnet Row Along Quilt
are in my new book 
"Quilty Fun"
to reserve your copy today:)




29 comments:

leeanne said...

What fun...cant wait to get started

verykerryberry said...

You always have the clearest and fastest and most efficient methods Lori! Thankyou xx

verykerryberry said...

You always have the clearest and fastest and most efficient methods Lori! Thankyou xx

Paula Lemos said...

Thank you for this wonderful tutorial!

trish said...

Oh goodness those are so cute!! Your method is brand new to me. Cant wait to get started!! Did you sew all of your rows together?

Darlene D said...

I love it! Can't wait to start, and a new technique for me! Thanks!

tubakk said...

Thank you so much. I love this project!

Connie said...

So excited! My quilt is growing. Have a great day!

Mary said...

Thanks for the extra tips for fg blocks. sew cute. I hear the geese and love yo watch them fly in V formation.

Material Mary said...

Lori I had so much fun with the apples...the geese will be fun as well...thank you
Mary

Yvonne Campbell said...

I will definitely be trying this method today! I love it, and it looks like a time saver. Happy quilting.

Jeanne said...

Thank so much for another adorable row!!! I'm excited!!! Here I go a rowing......

Anonymous said...

I just wrapped up another quilt border with flying geese, so I'm in the mode already! Can't wait to try your method, I haven't done it that way before. Looks like a lot less waste though. Beautiful rows!

Nedra said...

Lori, you are going to be so proud of me! Even though I am babysitting my grandbabies for 9 days, I have brought my scraps and have started working on my row quilt after they go to bed at night. I'm having fun!

Anita said...

Great row, Lori! I have already started sewing.

Nanette Merrill said...

I'm on my way and won't get lost. I'll have these done before November 2 when we meet. Fun stuff. I'll have to try this method. Thanks for doing this quilt.

CeLynn said...

Oh,I just love geese blocks! This way of making them is new to me,but looks much better than the way I have always made them :) Can hardly wait to get busy rowing along on these!

Susie said...

Amazing - have always wondered how these were sewn. Have never attempted them myself but you make it look achievable - thank you.

Unknown said...

Very pretty!! I want to sew...

dream quilt create said...

I love the flying geese row and can hardly wait to get started!

Josie McRazie said...

Done... man now I have to wait 2 weeks! Hurry up and wait! Story of my life! LOL but I am having a great time stripping... rowing with you! Thanks!

Sandy said...

I am so behind on this, but I know where to get the tutes when I need them. Thank you, as always, for sharing.

SIMPLESEW said...

Thank you for sharing the fun and tutorial, I pinned it and learned from it.

KaHolly said...

Ooh, I've got some catching up to do!! That 2 weeks went by way too quickly!! Love the tutorial. Very well done. Look forward to trying out this technique! Thanks so much.

Sherri said...

So cute Lori...I didn't get these made before market but will have them done by Monday evening. I'm also wondering if you've sewn the rows together?! And also, looks like you put background on both ends as well?

gilly said...

Whew... done! Finally my little geese are flying :-)
Looking forward to Row 6 now,
Xx

GabiP said...

Love your fabric, designs and blog. I am a recent convert to quilting and am so pleased to have found your blog and fabric line. Thanks for helping us all be more creative.

GabiP said...

Love your fabric, designs and blog. I am a recent convert to quilting and am so pleased to have found your blog and fabric line. Thanks for helping us all be more creative.

Sarah said...

Finally done with 5, so I can move on to the cuteness of 6!

Related Posts with Thumbnails