Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A New Quilt for Dolly...Tutorial!


It just wouldn't be Christmas around here if I wasn't sewing up a few gifts.
Today's fun little project was for Dolly.

Last time I saw Dolly...
she looked a little chilled...
so I'm thinking that she needs a new quilt.
(aka - grandma wants to sew another quilt for Dolly)

If you have a cutie patootie little girl in your life...
you may want to make her this quilt for her very own Dolly.



I used scraps and the same method from 
the easy 4 patch blocks.

Supplies for this quilt;
25 - 3" x 3" squares for the 4-patch blocks
1 fat quarter for background
approximately 16" x 21" thin batting
1 fat quarter for backing
2 - 2 1/2" x 40" strips for binding
2 yards 1/2" ric-rac (optional)


Make 24 four patch blocks by clicking on my tutorial
They should each measure 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" at this point.


Cut 12 - 1" x 2 1/2" rectangles from your background and sew two 4 patch blocks together.
All seam allowances are 1/4".
Press all seams towards the background throughout...
while making your Dolly quilt.


Cut 6 - 1" x 5" strips and sew to form six blocks.
Each block should measure 5" x 5" at this point.


Lay them out and get ready to sew sashings!


Cut 4 - 1 1/2" x 5" strips and sew them in-between the blocks like this.


Now cut a strip 1 1/2" x 16" and join the two rows together.


Then add 2 side borders that measure
 2" x 16"each....
and finally add borders to the top and the bottom.
 Cut them 2" x 13 1/2".


Your quilt top is complete!
Wasn't that easy and fun?


I'm betting that Dolly will be 
wrapped and re-wrapped in this quilt about a bajillion times!
That's why I love to make things for Dolly...
they are so appreciated by sweet little hands:)


Tomorrow I'll show you how I quilted and bound Dolly's quilt...
as for now...
I'm off to a Christmas concert!
xx
Lori

13 comments:

Gigi's Thimble said...

So cute Lori. I love the grey background and the light pink ric rac in the binding. Dolly will love it!

Unknown said...

Oh, my goodness.... love the quilt. Love the rick-rack.

Carol said...

Oh Lori that is so, so cute!

Patricia Lessell said...

Thank you so much it is gorgeous malorgeous

judi garber said...

It's simply adorable.

sewinglady said...

How cute Lori!

Unknown said...

Very cute! Your sewing is always perfect, I love to just stare at the wonderful things you have sewn :)

Cherilyn said...

Everything you make is so darn cute!!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Cori said...

I am going to see if I can get a couple of these done by Christmas, they are adorable

Melia Mae Quilting said...

I can't wait to see how you added the ric rac in because I am going to add that to the current doll quilt I am making as well. I may have to make one for my little girls sometime:) Thanks for showing this.

Judy said...

Thank you Lori. I do love the larger pieces. My grand daughter can sew now so I'll work on this with her this Christmas vacation. Thank you again.

Stitched With Prayer said...

Hi Lori, This is such a delightful project, I love it. Thanks so much for you wonderful tutorials! Also, I asked you a while back if your "Row Along" designs will stay on your blog for a while because I haven't been able to jump in yet, but I have some new cheerful fabric I'm dying to use in it. But I can't start till after the holidays. So my other question is...if you finish it and drop it off your blog, will you be releasing a pattern for it? I noticed last time I was in Material Girls that they carry most of your pattern so I will remain hopeful for the Row along too. Big Hugs...

jennyg said...

How gorgeous for dolly . I do have a new little cutie in my life but she is only 11 weeks old. So the blanket for dolly and the dolly will have to wait til next year.

But I suppose if this new nana could make one early.

Related Posts with Thumbnails