Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Bee in my Bonnet Row Along - Row 8...Mittens!


Good Morning cute people!!!
We are full on into winter here and that means mitten wearin' time...
and so it's time to whip up a few pair for row 8 of the 


We will be sewing warm woolen mittens:)
So...
1.Change your rotary blade...
2. Plug in your iron...
3. Make some cocoa...
4. Download "Baby it's Cold Outside" on your iTunes...
and let's get started!


First cut all of the background for the entire row...including sashing.



Okay...now let's cut and sew one pair of mittens.



Sew a square onto these corners of the mittens and the thumbs.

Trim....


and press towards the triangles.


Now sew a square onto each bottom corner of each mitten.
Trim and press towards the triangles.


Sew a rectangle to the bottom of each thumb.
Press seam allowance towards the white.


Now you are ready to sew the thumbs to the sides of your mittens.


Press seams toward the mittens...
not the thumbs.


Place a square on the top inside corners and sew easy corner triangles.


Trim and press toward the white.



Prepare the cuffs by sewing a white rectangle on one side...
and another rectangle on the opposite side.
Press both seams toward the cuffs.



Now add the cuffs to the top of each mitten and press toward the cuffs again.



Sew a strip between each pair to join them together.

Your first mitten block is complete!




Just for fun... 
I chose to use a different fabric for the thumbs on some of my mittens:)








And there you go!!!
Colorful and  cozy winter mittens.
I can't wait to see yours!
I love it when you post them to the 







I have had several emails in the last little bit asking if it's too late to join up.
Of course not!
As I've said before...
you have until next summer:)

***EDIT July 2013
The pattern and instructions for the 
BIMB Row Along Quilt are in my new book
"Quilty Fun"

to reserve your copy today!


Let me know if you are having fun with the row along...
I'd love to hear from you!
Have a warm and woolen quilty kind of day:)
xx
Lori


28 comments:

Sherri said...

These are just adorable! I must make them tomorrow morning!

Sheila said...

oh my. These are so cute!

Nedra said...

Looking forward to working on these right away, Lori! Very cute mittens.
BTW- In your instructions for the top and bottom rows, a small error:
need to change the 1/12" to say 1 1/2"

gilly said...

Sooooo cute! Can't wait to get started :-)
xx

annieB said...

loving this and I ve kept up

Anonymous said...

These turned out sooo cute! I can't wait to do them.

Deborah said...

Running, running to catch up! LOVE these!

Gransie's Groove said...

Lori, I love the row along. What a blessing it is to be quilting along with you:) The mittens are adorable! Can't wait to get started:)

•stephanie• said...

mittens . . . how cute.
and what exactly are they used for again??
it's still 80° here!!

Nanette Merrill said...

I'll be on it this weekend. It is really cold outside! Cute blocks.

tubakk said...

At least just what I needed right now. We have -10 degrees C (14 F) here where I live in Norway right now. Really cold, but no snow. So cute mittens, and I enjoy all the rows. Just finished the leaves yesterday. Thank you Lori for all the fun you bring us.

Celeste said...

These are perfect for this winter season. This is somuch fun. I just finished the leaves on Tuesday. Oh, yea, I have a new row.

Celeste said...

These are perfect for this winter season. This is somuch fun. I just finished the leaves on Tuesday. Oh, yea, I have a new row.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

I'm so happy this is the next row...it was my favorite from the sneak peeks you gave of the quilt.

PamKittyMorning said...

OHMYGOSH cute! Seriously. Darling.

Material Mary said...

I'm sure to have warm hands working on this row. All the rows are absolutely darling...thanks
Mary

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous!! Great gift ideas. So much fun!

Amy said...

I just love these mittens!! thank you for the pattern.. sure would be nice if they were in PDF..but for now I'm pinning as not to lose.

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

These are just way too cute...love them!!!

carol l said...

Really cute & easy to make. Already made a pair.
Carol L

katie1724 said...

This row is super cute!!! Can't wait to get started!

Anita said...

OMG!! These are sooo cute! Just when I think you can't make a cuter row, you do! Thanks so much for sharing your talent and posting these for free :)

Jacque T said...

It's supposed to start snowing here tonight!! Perfect timing!!

KaHolly said...

These are adorable. You are so clever. Can't wait to get settled again and at my sewing machine so I can catch up!!

Quilting with Kinsey said...

Yes, so much fun! Thank you for sharing your darling patterns!

Connie said...

So fun. Cutting tonight and sewing hopefully tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Lori, I love your fabrics and patterns!! I have not jumped in on this "row along" but am soooo tempted, just too many other things going on right now. I hope to do this in a few months, hope you keep the tutorials up for a while. :) Thanks for sharing and for all the beautiful and cute work you do.

Melia Mae Quilting said...

How far along are you in this? I would like to join in as well, but I am not sure if you are almost finished or not. Let me know. Thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails