Sunday, February 15, 2015

My Flower Box Quilt Block Tutorial and Sew Along!!!


The last two weeks have been 
unusually calm weather wise here
 for this time of year
and I have an early case
 of spring fever!
The days are warm 
and the nights are cool…




So I'm completely 
in the mood to make
 a spring quilt for snuggling 
in my favorite chair. 
Perfect while I'm doing handwork
 or watching Downton Abbey:)

My quilt will measure 60" x 80"…
big enough to pull over my shoulders
and keep my toes covered
 at the same time:)
...a perfect snuggly size!


It's always fun to sew with friends…
so I decided to have a sew along!
Do you want to play?

I announced my new 
Flower Box Sew Along
on my Instagram last week
and have started a 
#flowerboxsewalong
hashtag so that others can 
share thier progress as well.


If you are joining in on the fun…
of course you can use any fabric you want.
"you are the boss of your own quilt"

***I do recommend using 
several different colors.
***For each color use
 a few different prints.

Doing this will ensure that
 each block doesn't 
end up looking the same
because you've only used 4 colors.


I wanted to use fabric in  
happy colors and a style
  that represents spring...

So I chose to use my 
current fabric collection
that's in quilt shops now...
There are 33 different prints 
in this collection…
21 come on the bolt and …






And 12 of the prints
 come in FQ's …
(it's a way I have chosen to 
"GROW" each of my fabric collections)
These come in the form 
of fat quarter panels.
(3 panels = 12 FQ's)


I'm using 30 of my 
Flower Patch FQ's 
for the block colors…
and using the 3 remaining prints 
that have a lot 
of white in them
for my background, 
binding and back of my quilt.



I'm using my favorite 
vintagey text print
 from the collection
 for the background in each block.
I will need 3 yards 
of background fabric.


This "queen bee" print 
will be the back of my quilt.

I'll use 5 yards and will 
have some leftover to 
trim off of the sides:)


This large floral
 will be my binding:)
5/8 yard needed.



The block I am using is
 an old traditional one 
and I love it!
I've named it 
"Flower Box" 
in honor of spring!
My block finishes at 10"square.

In the past…
this has been a 
very hard block to piece 
because of the needed 
use of templates and
cutting out all 
12 pieces on the bias.

But don't worry!
I will be showing you 
my easy peasy
no template method…

YaY!



Here are a few tools 
I am using for this sew along.
They are of course not necessary 
but make the process a lot easier!
6 1/2" square ruler
5 1/2" square ruler
1/2" x 12" ruler
Pink Circle Rotating Cutting Mat

I got all of mine at


Of course I think that
 a good stack of my
 mini design boards 
are completely necessary!!!


for my tutorial 
if you haven't made any yet.
I promise 
you will LOVE using them!


So hurry into your sewing room…
turn on some music…
tie on your apron…
  put a new blade in your rotary cutter
 and lets get started!


From EACH of 4 different prints;
Cut 1- 6 1/2"square
and 
Cut 2 - 3"squares



From your background fabric;
Cut 4 - 6 1/2" squares

***Take note that you have just cut for
 2 - FLOWER BOX BLOCKS


You will need to mark TWO lines onto
 the BACK of each 6 1/2" background square.
The lines need to be 1/4" on each side of the center.
Using this 1/2" wide ruler makes it easy.
If you don't have one…
you can just draw a line down the center 
(from point to point)
 and then mark a 1/4" line away from
 that center line on each side.
I use a mechanical pencil for marking.


Place onto one of your 6 1/2"square prints 
(with right sides together) 
and stitch directly onto your marked lines.


Now cut them apart…
 in-between the two stitched lines like this.



Leave them closed
and place your 5 1/2" square ruler 
diagonal line on top of
your stitched line and square up
 with your rotary cutter...


Like this.
This is where the turning mat comes in handy
because you don't have to move your ruler …
just the mat:)


Open it up and press the seams open like this.
Repeat for the other one as well.
You now have 2 - half square triangle units
 that each measure 5 1/2" square.

(Repeat process for the other three 6 1/2"
 colored squares and three background squares)


Now mark a center line from point to point
 on the matching 3" square and place onto the corner
of the background like this.


Stitch directly on that line.
Repeat for the remaining half square triangles:)


Trim off excess 1/4" past your stitching line.

Press seams open like this:)


Next…lay four different color sections
 out like this and sew together.


One cutie patootie Flower Box:)
YaY!
At this point your block should measure 
10 1/2" x 10 1/2"
And because you pressed your seams open…
 it will be easier to line up points
 and you blocks will lie flat too!


This is what the back of my block looks like:)


Don't forget to sew the other block!


For my quilt I will be
 making 48 different 
Flower Box blocks.
I'll sew them together
 in a 6 x 8 setting.
No sashing…no borders.
I told you
 this would be fun and easy!

You can make your quilt 
any size you want
you could make 20 blocks
in a 4 x 5 setting and
 it would be a 
perfect baby quilt size!


***NOTE***
Here is some Flower Box 
quilty math for you!
***From one 10" square;
 you can cut a 6 1/2"
 and two 3" squares
***From one F8th;
You can cut two 6 1/2" squares 
and four - 3" squares
***From one FQ;
You can cut four 6 1/2" squares
and eight - 3" squares
***From a 6 1/2" x WOF strip
(for your background)
You can cut six - 6 1/2" squares


So choose your fabric and sew with me!
Follow me on Instagram
to see my progress on this sew along
as well as all of my others:)

Have a quilty kind of day!
xx
Lori



41 comments:

Clare said...

I am so pleased that you posted this SAL on your blog as I dont have Instagram. Look forward to each posting. Happy Stitching.

jeannine said...

I have been looking forward to this all weekend! Thank you for doing another sew a long!! This is my first one! I don't really have a good stash of coordinating colors yet so my hubby is taking me fabric shopping tomorrow....before yet another snow storm! Can't wait to start sewing a long with you and making my very first large quilt!

Miss Merry said...

I am not on instagram either - I just wish I had time to join you all! Gorgeous colors and a very cute block! It makes me feel like Spring is around the corner. You make such adorable color choices!

Little Quiltsong said...

I love that you posted on your blog again. It's the BIG Pictures :)!
Love this new block with your Flower Patch Fabric!

PamKittyMorning said...

Cute Lori!

Needled Mom said...

That looks beautiful. It should be a fun SAL.

Pam said...

Perfect timing, I can make these blocks as a break from the scrappy trip blocks that are cut and ready to go. They will also keep me happy while I wait for the Snapshot block to be released.

Ann said...

I am not on Instagram either and am pleased that I subscribe to your blog so that I received your first instructions to make this quilt.
I will follow along but in a few weeks' time as I am in the middle of another quilt currently.
The fabric looks gorgeous and I'm looking forward to more posts.

Candace said...

I did your barn sew along and enjoyed it thoroughly. Hope to do this one also. I can't start quite yet though. Company's coming. Thank you for sharing.

my happy bluebird said...

Thanks so much for the detailed tutorial :-) I asked my daughter how to use instagram so I could follow you there also! ~Linda

Lesley Gilbert said...

Thanks for this lovely tutorial - the instructions are clear and love the photos as well :) When I have a go, I will sew 2 lines along the small square and keep the little HST's for a mini project, but until I try I won't know how small they are.

KatieQ said...

Thanks for posting this on your blog. Like many quilters, I don't use Instagram.

grapenutquilter said...

SEW happy for the return to the blog! I have missed you. I too am a non instagrammer and missed all your great ideas!!

Kathleen said...

This is a cute block! Love how it goes together.

craigandlissa said...

Thank you again for another fabulous quilt-a-long and tutorial! Such fun! I really appreciate these!!!

Lissa Rogers
Cedar City, Utah

Connie said...

Lori, your quilt is beautiful and I think that your idea of a quilt along sounds like a lot of fun! I will be watching and seeing what others are doing. As for me, i've never used a pattern and I'm not ready to start. There is a freedom in creating as you go and I'm not ready to give that up. Love your choice of fabrics and I know that your quilt is going to be outstanding as they all are. You do amazing work. Have fun . . . I'll be watching.
Connie :)

Susie H said...

I absolutely love your block and your Flower Patch fabrics are wonderful ... especially the queen bees!!! I so love bees!!!

Cecelia said...

I can't wait to sew this together!! Thank you, Lori for sewing with us all and the beautiful block pattern.

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Rosemary B here:
Dear Lori, this fabric is beautiful. I adore it. Some of them remind me of the vintage sheets I found in my mama's linen closet this past summer, moving my 92 year old parents to an Erickson Community Ashby Ponds just four miles from my house. Now, I want this fabric so bad. I am so grateful for your enthusiasm and sharing your skills!
I hope you are not going to get any ice today. I am in No Va and ready for spring. We will get snow

Natureluvr57 said...

Beautiful! I'm so glad it's not just on instagram because I can't afford a smart phone. Thanks for sharing.

Cori said...

I am in and going thru my stash,pulling out fabrics

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

You always make the cutest quilts! I ordered your new book on fqs and you should tell them to make your modern minis available as a preorder:). I wish I could quilt along but I'm having baby #4 in two months so I've lost all my get up and go.

Judy said...

I like this one! The pieces aren't so tiny as your first one. I will be joining you and thank you very much.
Judy

Lynette Root said...

Love love love this block! Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Sew Shabby Designs said...

Thanks for offering another sew along. So generous of you to devote your time to this project. I also can hardly wait to get your new book. Love watching all your instagram photos.
Tracey Gonzales

Freda's Hive said...

super cute! and I love the bees. Can't wait to see you.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Cute! cute! Cute!! I love this block. :-)

Anonymous said...

Brighten up my day

sunflwr1 said...

Thank you for this tutorial... so fun, so adorable! I want to get yardage of that darling flower pot fabric, but can't find it... Is it already sold out??? Thanks Lori!

Sharon said...

I, too, am not on instagram. I am glad for the blog post as well. Cute, cute quilt.

MartiDIY said...

I love those fabrics. Perfect for that block. Thanks for the tutorial too; I wouldn't have thought to do it that way. I haven't seen a rotating mat before. Very neat!

Pots and Pins said...

My DIL wants to learn to quilt and she loves your pattern so that's what she's going to start with!!! Thank you!! xo, Nan

Diane B. said...

I wish it was not so difficult to purchase your fabric bundles. They are always SOLD OUT. Riley Blake needs to double up on producing your fabric lines.

Anonymous said...

Saw on Instagram and came to review tutorial... Love the easy directions and I may need that 1/2 ruler!

Susan P said...

Where have you been…..miss your posts!

Kari Young said...

Thank you so much for posting this on your blog! The directions are so clear and easy to understand. I love the pictures too. THANK YOU!!!

Memorymomentsandmore said...

GASP!!! Thanks tons for showing your wonderful step by step instructions!! I have got to give this one a try!!

Eva said...

Great instructions und helpful pictures - many thanks und greetings from Germany :)

Lucrecia said...

I just found your blog - what a beautiful sewing room you have, it's exactly what mine looks like in my head (which is not at all reality haha). I'm enjoying spending the morning looking around - you have a great eye for color and design and I appreciate all of the info you share!

MKB said...

I really like your web site. It is crisp and clean and your instructions are right to the point. Thank you. I am glad I discovered you.

Clairequilty said...

Thank you for sharing this timeless fun block. Quite a stash buster.

Related Posts with Thumbnails