Friday, March 6, 2009

Sock Monkey Love

I have always loved sock monkeys for as long as I can remember. I remember playing with one that belonged to my brother when I was little but I don't remember where it came from. Maybe one of my grandmas made it or one of my great Aunts. It makes me happy to see them come back into popularity recently.
I found these slippers at Target. I was so excited to see them on the shelf saying "buy me". I bought 3 pairs! Two for gifts and one for me. They are so comfy and cute I love wearing them.


A few years ago when I first saw the sock monkey fabric selection I immediatly purchased a fat quarter in all I could find and some yardage so that I could make a quilt someday.
Turns out that my daughter-in-law Nicky loves sock monkeys too! And it turns out that she and my son Ben are expecting thier first baby in a couple of weeks. Yes, I'm going to be a grandma! I'm so excited I just can't stand it. She really can't come too soon for me.(it's a girl).
So this quilt is among one of several things that I have made for the baby. I used the brown banana print for the border because it is one of my favorites from the collection. I'm so glad that I bought enough yardage for this and also the backing fabric back then because I havn't seen it in any of the quilt shops for a long time.




Here's a close up picture of the center block. I drew up a monkey and appliqued it. I did pinwheel blocks because I think they are playful in bright fabrics and seem to go along with the theme.


Of course a pair of the slippers went to Nicky, the mommy to be.We have to spoil her along with the baby! The sock monkey in the chair is one that I bought a long time ago at a garage sale.
How about you? Do you like sock monkeys?




post signature

11 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh, goodness, I think sock monkeys are so much fun. I actually have a drawer devoted JUST to sock monkey things - from the socks to the many fabrics I've collected and even an ornament waiting to be made. I even found a booklet with patterns to make him/her clothes. Thanks for sharing your wonderful sock monkey photos.

Have a wonderful, happy weekend.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

You love you some sock monkeys!!!! There such happy little things aren't they?

Judy said...

I just found your blog...it's very nice and welcome to blogging. I love sock monkeys and just had to repair the one that belongs to our grandson.

Linda said...

How can you not just love sock monkey's? I guess it's off to Target I go...(thanks Lori!)

Eileen said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog so I could come and find you. This is such a cute place!
Yes.. I love sock monkeys.. and I have two kits that I found at a rummage sale a while back that I plan on making. Thanks for the fun pictures!

Anonymous said...

Just saw your sock monkey yesterday and went to target. Now I think I will make me one too. You are so inspiring and fun thanks for sharing your fun things you do. My son thinks they look like "Chuky" and said they were scary. What does he know? I think I'll make him one for christmas. See you at "dear jane" lunch.

Nanette Merrill said...

Sock monkeys are so cute. I remember them from the 60s when I was a kid. It is fun to see them make a comeback. The slippers are to die for!

Nielson said...

I'm back!!! (finally!) The sock monkey quilt is so cute!!! What a lucky baby!

Insightful Nana said...

The slippers are darling. I'm going to check them out at Target. I sure hope they come in adult sizes.

My sister Sheila had sock monkeys for everyone several years ago. I've noticed them in several stores lately... even the dollar store. Must
be a wave of comeback.

Anonymous said...

I love tbe quilt! And I can't wait to meet Sophia!

Kimberly said...

My girls and I made sock monkeys over the weekend and had so much fun! I wish those slippers were still available... they are the cutest!

Related Posts with Thumbnails