Thursday, March 19, 2009

The "lucky" winner!

Today is the day! Me and my trusty iphone are here to announce the big winner of the yo-yo counting contest. I want to thank everyone who played along-it has been really fun to read all of your comments and guesses. This will be the first of many fun contest in the future. As you can see, the final count (after counting 3 times and yes, we came up with the same number each time) is 4,194 yo-yos in my quilt!! O.K before I anounce the winner- can I just say how much that I respect and love that dear woman who made 4,194 yo-yos!

The winner is DIONNE over at Sew Many Quilts with a guess of 4200. Wow,only 6 away! That was some good guessing. Congrats Dionne and e-mail me so that I can send your prize.
Mr. Honey and I counted each row and then marked it by writing the number on a strip of muslin and pinning it on the end of the row. Then it was narrowed down to sections and finally added with the calculator app on my iphone.



I will be sending you a 10" square of my grandmas fabrics and this pincushion that I made along with any one of my patterns of your choice.

Here is the back of the pincushion. I hope you like this little print as much as I do. I have had it for a few years. I also used my grandmas fabric in the pincushion top.




I made 3 of them at the same time, two in case of a tie and one for me! I rarely just make 1 of anything when it's a project like that- I guess you could say that I am a multi-tasker like so many of you out there.....
I bought the pattern last week. I thought that the big yo-yo on top of the pincushion tied in with the contest perfectly. What do you think?
The pattern is by a local designer named Kari Ramsay. She has a line of patterns called
Fresh Cut Quilts. I loved making it. I used the dresdon ruler by Darlene Zimmerman to make each section for the pincushion top. Look how cute and itty-bitty they are!
Speaking of cute and itty-bitty, I have grandma news! Yes- LATE last night after being at the hospital for 12 hours straight I became a grandma and now Mr.Honey is a grandpa!
She is very tiny at 4 lbs and 13 oz and 19" long. Both Mom and baby are doing very well along with the new Dad, who is our oldest son Ben. You can bet there will be pictures to come later.
Welcome to the world little Sophie- grandma loves you!




post signature

20 comments:

Sherri said...

That is a lot of yo yo's...I never would have guessed that many!

Dionne said...

Wow, that is awesome! I can't believe I was so close. I almost guessed another number but then realized I had forgotten to include the scallops in my math, so I ended up with 4200!
Thank You Thank You!
Cheers,
Dionne

Nielson said...

So, I'm sad that I didn't win...but what do I have to do to get one of those pincushions??? :) Congratulations on you sweet little grandaughter!! I bet she is so precious!

Dionne said...

Oh, PS - Congratulations on your new grand baby! (I was so excited about winning, sorry)

Linda said...

Gosh, I was SO close ~ only 1,596 away! Shouldn't I get a prize for that? :) Oh well, I will try to not be bitter.
Congratulations on your new wee one! I am so happy for you!

Susan said...

Congratulation to Dionne. Good crunching of those numbers.
Congrats on being a grandma. And welcome to Sophie.

Betsy said...

I too rarely make more than one. Like right now I am working on tea towels for my daughter so I make 3, her, me and a gift.
I love the pincushion.

dream quilt create said...

Darn, I missed it! So close and yet so far....What an incredible give away. Just like every wonderful thing you do! Congratulations on being a grandma. There is nothing like it in the world! That might make an interesting quilt, I bet you've already got one planned down the road. Can hardly wait until your next post!

lesthook said...

A new grandbaby! The best gift of all! I only missed it by 652,LOL!

Eileen said...

First of all, congratulations Grandma Lori! Can't wait for pictures of the tiny one. :-)

And I am so glad Dionne won.. she is a sweetheart!

Nedra said...

Congratulations on becoming a new grandmother. Let me tell you, there is nothing to prepare you for how gushy you will get. You will be so IN LOVE!

Funoldhag said...

Enjoyed looking over your blog! And congratulations on your new little grandbaby. Being a grandparent is the icing on the cake! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Unknown said...

It was fun to hear of your good news today at Material Girls, Nadine and I were so excited for you. You will be such a fun grandma and cherished immensley by your grandchild. Congratulations to you. And darn, I wanted to win but that was fun to play your game and calculate. I guess I'll be "reee-calllculllattting" again. You know the inside joke. Thanks for all the fun!!

Simone de Klerk said...

Congratulations with becoming a grandmother of a girl with a beautiful name. Look forward to see the pictures.
And how many yo-yo's can one make ... and then put together ... Love the pincushion!
Have a lovely Friday (O:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Congratulations to the winner and to the new grandparents.

Nanette Merrill said...

Good for Dionne! She's darling. But dang. I thought I was closer ;-)

Unknown said...

Hey girly! Thanks for the shout out and I loooovvveee your pincushions! I love to see my little pattern made up in everyone else's fabric choices-too cute.
The sock monkey slippers are now a happy part of my home as well because of your most recent post regarding cute sock monkey slippers. I ran out that night to Target to get some!

Anyway, thanks a bunch you know I am a fan of yours too! Love ya!
-Kari

Carrie P. said...

Congratulations on your new granddaughter.
Wow that is a lot of yo yos. Congrats to Dionne for getting so close.

Anonymous said...

I guess that answers my question about who Mr. Honey is!

I can't wait to hold Sophie! Hopefully tomorrow.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

How exciting a baby!! Congrats to you and your family. Nothing sweeter than a little baby.
I love your pincushions. They are wonderful.
And congrats to your winner too. That's alot of yo yo's.

Related Posts with Thumbnails