Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Great Granny Along...Week 4...


Good morning!
I'm back from my camping trip:)
We had so much fun at the lake 
with our friends!!
 Now I'm rested...
 and ready to get back in my studio
 for more fun.

Today is week 4 of 


I wanted to show you some of the blocks that will be going into a lap size quilt.
I am making 20 blocks total for the quilt and I have most of them done...
but today I'm only showing you
 9 of them...because that's how many will fit on the design board in my studio!
Below are close ups of a few favorite's.






Are you all still having fun 
sewing your great grannies?
I am!!!
Beside's being fun and addictive...
another plus is that I am 
really making a big dent 
in my leftover pre cuts.
 I love me a quilt made from leftovers!!!


Okay...onto another tip.
Remember the tutorial that I did a while back on making my design boards?
I don't know if I told you that I often make two of the same size to use 
in transporting my blocks when I go 
on retreat or sew day...
But they work great for that too!
I just sandwich my blocks in-between 
the two boards so that they will 
lay flat and stay protected during travel. 


In the past I have always tied ribbon around the two boards to hold them together...
but a while ago...
 I came across these giant rubber bands
 in the office supplies at Target...



 And I just knew that they would be
 perfect to use instead of ribbon!
They cost only 3.00 and there are 
several different designs and colors.


In my next post...
I'll show you a new project that 
I worked on while camping...
the above photo is a sneak peek:)
Until then...
have a quilty kind of day!
xx
Lori

20 comments:

busyascanbe said...

Your blocks are looking so good. I love the rubber bands too! Great find thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love your fabrics~ So pretty and clean and fresh!~

Do you use an old iron when you sew? ♥♥♥

Linda Lee said...

I love your blocks...I am anxious to make some. Thank you so very much for the tutorial for the design boards..They are definitely on my "to do" list.

Nanna said...

beautiful blocks, I 1st saw a 6 block , I thought I was done,then someone said 9 for a lap size now you say 20 , will these blocks ever end? lol! lol!
Helen

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

You're blocks are beautiful! Can't wait to see it all together! :) xx Holly

Karen in Breezy Point said...

There's going to be a run on file bands at Target, for sure. Cute!
Karen in Breezy Point

Unknown said...

I just love your Granny Blocks. I got called for "Mema" duty on July 19 when my 2nd granddaughter was born so I've been gone for a couple of weeks. I'm ready to go home and sew on something fun and I'm going to start with Granny Blocks! They look like such fun. Love yours so much!

dream quilt create said...

I love the blocks with your beautiful fabric. I finished my great granny table topper. I love it and it was a ton of fun to make. Thanks :)

Maxine said...

I have my blocks cut out..need to start sewing...I will have to make a run to Target for the file bands..Girl your brain must be on over charge...all the ideas that you have.........thanks for sharing them....Can't wait to see the new project...

Sharon said...

Your blocks look awesome! I just made my boards from your tutorial last week, I love them and they were so much fun to make, now on to the blocks :)

janice15 said...

So very pretty, they always look nice pretty bright colors...have a great day with love Janice

CathyK said...

I LOVE your blocks!!!!!

sew.darn.quilt said...

Your blocks are spectacular =)
Still having fun? You betcha!
I have my top sewn together, just need to find something to back it with.

Nanette Merrill said...

If there is a better way to look at something, you will figure that out. I admire that trait.

•stephanie• said...

the pink and green block with the red center.
yep . . . perfection has been achieved!
{and it's like those file bands were custom made to match your design board. pretty clever!}

Sasha said...

I've never noticed those rubber bands at Target!! I'll have to look for them next time I'm there.
You blocks are so so so pretty!!! I absolutely adore them!!!

Nancy said...

I'm so inspired. I have to make one of these.

Nancy said...

I'm so inspired. I have to make one of these.

momoh said...

I bought those bands in Target though I had no idea what I was going to use them for...now I do. Thanks for the inspiration.

Bari Jo said...

The retro look of your blocks with your fabric is great! Thanks for the tip on the rubberbands!!! What a great idea! I am in the process of making myself a design board for this project - so I will make 2 - I forgot about sandwiching them! Thanks! I made 12 of the little ones for the Farmer's Wife and other small projects. I am looking forward to making a bigger one! :o) These boards of yours work wonderfully and I really have enjoyed them! Thanks so much for the great tutorial - you are so gracious to share! ;O) xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails