Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Great Granny Pot Holders!...


Good Morning cute people!!!...
or should I say good afternoon...
(i'm a bit late posting today:)

Today is
day and I have a new project to show you.

I made 2 potholders using 1 1/2" squares instead of 2 1/2" squares.


I needed a quick gift 
and in keeping with 
using up my scraps...
I pulled out some FMF leftovers
 that I had been saving.

These scraps came from a project 
where I used my
 Easy Corner Triangle Method


When trimming for the
 easy corner triangles...
I always save the leftovers
 if I can cut them into a 1 1/2" square.

The FMF scraps were perfect for this
 and so I cut some into squares ...
I love making a project completely
 out of scraps!!!


I cut enough for 2 blocks and laid 
them out on my design board. 

The amount of squares that you
 will need is of course exactly 
the same as the 12 1/2" blocks...
and the method is the same as my
the only difference is
 the size of the 
squares and rectangles...


For this size block you will need 
8 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" 
for each block row ends...
and you will need 
4 - 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" strips
 for the corners.


After you have sewn them
 together...
you will need to use a 
6 1/2" square ruler 
to trim them up!


This size is sooo cute!
I think I see another Great Granny quilt
 in my future with 6 1/2" blocks!




But for now...
these are pot holders...
 so for each one...
I cut an 8" square of 
backing fabric,
 an 8" square of batting
 and some leftover
 silver ironing board fabric
 that I always use when I
 cover my ironing table.
 (I buy it at JoAnns)

I also cut a 2 1/4" strip x WOF
 to use as binding.



I layered as follows...
top, batting, silver fabric and backing.
 I did some quick and easy 
straight line machine quilting...
(make sure you use a walking foot)

I then bound each potholder 
and stitched a drapery ring 
to the top corner for hanging.

The Great Granny blocks are cute 
hanging on the diagonal!


All in all...it took only 
a few hours from start to finish
 for both of them.

I am planning on making more
 with my scraps to use as Christmas gifts.

They could also be used as a mug rug...
or six of them would make an adorable
 little dolly quilt for my Sophie Belle! 

What do you think?
Do you see 6 1/2" Great Granny blocks
 in your future too?
xx
Lori


42 comments:

Gill said...

These are gorgeous!

•stephanie• said...

everything is cuter in miniature form.
these are darling!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

So cute in this size!! Too!

Nanna said...

my goodness the things that are coming out of this quilt project lol! too cute!
Helen

Nanette Merrill said...

perfect idea, and I love them. great project

Christine M said...

They are gorgeous. Although I wouldn't want to use them for cooking. They might get stained! I would hang them in the kitchen as a cute decoration!

janice15 said...

VERY CUTE....jANICE

Eileen said...

Love these!

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

Wheeeeeee!!!! Another granny project!! Love this!! Time to put on Christmas music and start stitching some cute gifts!! xoxo Debbie

Needled Mom said...

Very cute!!!! I can see these in my future.

Anonymous said...

Oh my they are just too cute!!

kbzelazny said...

Cutest potholders ever!

Polly said...

As always, Lori! They are just tooooo cute!!

Patti said...

Love them! Already digging through my leftovers from the Great Granny Along!

vintage grey said...

These are the cutest!! I just love the grannies!! xo Heather

Kim Walus said...

What a perfect size for a pot holder. I love it! The fabric is smashing too!

Susana said...

Very good your tutorial Love these!

Barbara said...

Love them! Where can you get the drapery ring?

Deb said...

Adorable! Now I can use some of those scraps I've been known to hoard! I can NEVER bring myself to throw them out! THANKS

VickiT said...

These are just adorable. I LOVE them. Thank you.

Clara said...

Yes I do! I'd love to do some of them! they're great ideas for Christmas! Enjoy your time sewing!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!! These are just the cutest. :) Great idea to use your scraps..I save mine too. :) Thanks for the idea and they are really cute, but I said that already :) (The Christmas ones would sure be so fun to give, I have lots of scraps of Christmas fabric, I see a new project in my future!! lol .)

Libby said...

YES, I SEE THIS IN MY FUTURE. How adorable. Can't wait to make some of these up! Thanks for this wonderful idea!

Kathleen said...

So.Stickin.Cute!!!!! Love it!

maggie said...

Thanks for sharing, I want to make these , great for gifts.
You are amazing girl!
cheers
maggie

c said...

Artistically beautiful, what a great idea-thank you

Unknown said...

So sweet...I love your potholders. Will be making some of these

Karen said...

Great idea! Thanks for the tutorial.

KMSC said...

Thank you for the tutorial for the very cute potholders. I can't wait to make one!

ultraorganized said...

Love your talent -- and you potholders -- they are so cute !}

Kwan'sQuilt said...

They're so cute!! Thank you for sharing.

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Love them!

Peggy said...

What a wonderful, informative blog you have. I have added yours to my blog list. I love the granny squares and when I get some of my projects finished I want to make a great granny square quilt. I may even add a few pot holders to my Christmas gifts this year. Thank you.

Anna said...

Looks wonderful!
I'm sure my mum love it.
A hug.
Anna

pandchintz said...

Oh, Lori. They're just too cute to use!!

Judith said...

I like miniture and what fun! Judith, Texas

Michelle said...

These are so so cute! Gotta make me some.

verykerryberry said...

That hook ring is really capturing my attention, just makes it look extra cute and easier to fit than a grommet!

Carla said...

These are so, so cute! I'd love to make a little dolly quilt.

Searchfamilies said...

Very nice, could you tell me the size of the draper ring please
Hugs Janice

Cheryl Havrilka said...

I love them!

Gypsymaison said...

What a perfect size for a pot holder. I LOVE them Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails