Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Bee in my Bonnet Row Along...Row 6...Nine Cute Cups of Cocoa!!!


Good Morning cute people!
Yep!
It's time for Row 6 of the 
If you are just tuning in...
it's not too late to join...
You have until next summer!!!

***edit July 2013
The full pattern and instructions for the 
BIMB Row Along Quilt is in my new book
"QUILTY FUN"
if you would like to reserve a copy!


Lately there has been a noticeable chill in the air and the days are getting shorter.

Around here...
that means warm cocoa and fuzzy slipper season:)

And so we are making 9 cups of cocoa!


So pick out 9 "cup" fabrics from your stash.

This block is sew quick and easy...  


You will have them complete in no time at all:)


Background:)



Sew an Easy Corner Triangle square onto the bottom 2 
corners of the cup like this. 
Remember that your cup is tall...not wide:)


Trim...


and press towards the triangles.
Set aside...


And move onto the handles.



Press the seam allowance towards the handle.


*TIP - when working with small pieces of fabric...
I like to use a little spray starch so that my pieces are less likely to distort and it also helps to keep any fraying of the edges to a minimum.
spray starch is a good one...
or you can easily make your own!
 for the recipe
and  
for the spray bottle cozy tutorial:)

So give your handle segments a little spray and press at this point only...
 to keep them easier to work with.
(no more starch after this step...it could shrink them)

Now that you have your handle strips sewn...
I suggest that you complete one handle so that you have the method down
 before moving onto the other 8. 


Cut...



Like this.
You will have a bit leftover:)


These are the 3 pieces that will make up the handle.


Arrange your pieces like this...
and sew them together.



Press the seam towards the handle like this.


This is what it should look like on the front.


Now sew the remaining piece to the bottom...


And once again...
press the seam towards the handle.


Now sew a white rectangle to the bottom like this.


Press the seam towards the larger rectangle.


Sew it to the right side of the cup.
If the outside edge of the handle looks too wide to you...remember it will match the top and bottom when you sew the sashings on.


After you have sewn the handle to the side of the mug...
press seam towards the cup like this.


And...
your first cup is complete.



Now you can go onto the other handles and chain piece them
 for faster and funner sewing:)


And there you have 9 cute cups of cocoa!
Just add marshmallows:)
Wouldn't these make a 
darling quilt or a fun pillow?


You can add sashings onto the right side of each cup at this point if you want.


Sew them into a row:)
Cut sashings and sew them to 
the top and bottom of your cup row:)



Then take them into your kitchen...
and tape them to your vintage church pew that you have painted aqua and take a few photos!!!


It was dark out when I took these...
sorry about the lighting:)


Have fun making your "9 cute cups of cocoa"...
and let me know what you think of mine!

Have a quilty...cocoa drinkin'...fuzzy slipper wearin' kind of day!
xx
Lori

P.S. Don't forget to show your cute cups on the Flickr group!
And remember to add the 
Bee in my Bonnet Row Along 
button to your blog!


44 comments:

Anita said...

Super cute cups! Can hardly wait to get home this afternoon and start picking out cup-fabrics!

Kathleen said...

Gorgeous! Def on my list of things to do, so am admiring them from afar until I have more time. Love these and the apples the best so far :)

verykerryberry said...

You are killing me with each row- now just give me some time! Love these mugs!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

I really need one of those church pews so I can take some pretty photos of mine too!

Darlene D said...

So cute! I'm finishing my flying geese this morning and will hopefully get started on these soon! Thanks for the fun!

annieB said...

gorgeous, loving this. thank you

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

I love these!! They are so cute! I might give them a try~(I'm not doing the row along this time) But I've been enjoying seeing some of the patterns! :) Have a happy day! xo Holly

dream quilt create said...

I love the cute cups of cocoa!! What a great quilt this is going to be!!!

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

OOh and yours are goregous! Love your church pew!! :)

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Oooo!! Spin off tutorial! I can't wait to see it. One of these cup blocks would make a super cute mug rug!

karen said...

Cute Cute Cute!!! I'm glad Wednesday is my day off so I can get going on this.

Kelly L. said...

Yikes, now I'm 3 rows behind. It is a good things I have time this weekend to catch up. Thanks for all the wonderful rows you keep adding to this project - they are adorable!

gail.designs said...

Wonderful quilt, great tutorials. Am working slowly on this one but did finish row 1, a block of 2 and 3. Maybe this weekend, when husband is traveling, I'll be able to focus on this. Thanks Lori!
Gail in VA

Sheila said...

They are soooooooo cute!!

Sewn With Grace said...

Squeal!!!!!!!! Super, super cute! Can't wait to get started. Thank you again for doing this. It is so much fun!

♥Duff said...

It's like having a set of vintage tableware! Love the colors (of course)

Bev said...

Adorable as usual! You are so talented. I love, love, love this little quilt (yes, even the tiny rows-they are just harder for me to make). So excited to see the project with the little mugs! Love your fabric designs so much! You are so talented!

Cheery wave!
Bev

gilly said...

Sooo sweet! Can't wait to get started on these cute cups of cocoa :-)
xx

Michelle said...

Can't wait to get started! I'm loving every row in this row along!

•stephanie• said...

so glad you posted these.
still a high of 90Āŗ today.
but in the 60Āŗs saturday and sunday.
those cozy little cups gave me something to smile about.

{we're kind of in shock this morning and having a hard time otherwise!}

Unknown said...

Cute cups and I also love your tablecloth in the foreground of your picture.

Julianne said...

Super Duper cute! LOVE this row!!

Lori (Lorelei) said...

Adorable! Love the starch cozy too!
Perfect for all the frost we had here this morning!

tubakk said...

I'm so looking forward to every row. These are the happiest cups I've ever seen! I love your fabrics.

Nanette Merrill said...

Love the block! This is happening tonight. I love the cocoa cups. I am going to blog it tomorrow along with my flying geese.

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

Eeeeek! I didn't think it could possibly get any cuter than those apples, but it just did! I dropped everything to make some cups this morning! I am really loving this Row Along - Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

Your cups are so adorable. I have been following your blog and your Row-Along, it looks like so much fun! Your sewing is just awesome, the colors you choose and your seams are perfect. You make it look so easy. I am really enjoying your blog.
One of these days I will have time to get creative like that I hope.

KMSC said...

Your cups are so cute and I love the fabrics you used. You are so clever, Lori. Thanks for a very fun row along.

Anna said...

Ah! So Cute! I just discovered this row along, but I definitely want to make one of those blocks into potholders or a rug mug! Maybe for my mom for Christmas... She is a very heavy coffee drinker ;)

Nedra said...

Love the mugs Lori! I can hardly wait to get started!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

OMG...these are just way too cute!!! Thanks for sharing!

Bari Jo said...

THANK YOU!!!!!

blank said...

OMG!!! Super cute- love this!!!

KaHolly said...

Already? These are great!! I am a little behind, but just finished a big project last evening, so I'm ready to catch up. Your tutorials are wonderful, by the way! Thanks a million!! And this row is just adorable, as is the spray bottle cozy.

Anita said...

Wow, each row just keeps getting cuter than the last! Thanks for taking the time to do this :)

Sherri said...

So cute...I just made mine tonight...will take pictures in the morning when the light is good!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

I am definitely going to be making this in January...love, love, love it!!

Sarah D said...

Eek! I just got done with Row 4, but I'm getting there!

Kris said...

Loooove these cute cups! Such a nice pattern!

Quilting with Kinsey said...

Your cups are so cute! Working on mine now! Thanks so much for your tutorial.

CeLynn said...

These are just way too stinkin cute! Hoping to get to these this next week :) Thanks for the tute.

Deborah said...

I am crazy about these cups!! Just as soon as I get home from visiting my new grandbaby I'll be back sewing my rows!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Lori,
I love the tea cups so much!! what fun they are to make. I guess I'm getting in a little late on the sew along and would have a lot of catch up. I do want to make this pattern so I am going to safe the pattern and sew it after Christmas. Thank you so much for sharing this delightful quilt pattern.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

CeLynn said...

Finally had a chance to get these done this morning! So much fun to sew up,even did pretty good on the micro pieces :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails