Thursday, March 21, 2013

Preparing Your Quilt Backing and Scrappy Binding Tutorial ...


Good morning...
did you get your borders on???
Good Job:)
Because now it's time to prepare the backing.
This is how I did mine...


First I finished off the edges of my bumblebee label by
 laying it face down on a square of
 white fabric about 1" larger all the way around.


I sewed around the block 1/4" in from the edge...
leaving an opening in the bottom for turning.
Then I trimmed off the excess white even with the
 block edges and turned the block right side out...
 like this.


I pressed the opening edges under 1/4".
You will sew it closed when you stitch it onto the backing.
 Set it aside for now.


Cut the backing to be a
 generous 5" larger  all the way around the quilt...
or in other words...
10 - 12 inches longer and wider
 than the quilt top. 


Place right sides together and sew one long seam down the center.
I don't cut my selvedge off of my backing 
so I use a wider seam allowance for this ...
just enough to go past the selvedge.



Give it a nice pressing.
Now wasn't that easy?
It's all ready except for the label:)


Pin your  label onto the backing wherever you want it.
I pinned mine on the bottom left corner.


I used a ruler when pinning just so that I would pin it straight.
I also pinned it about 10 - 12 inches from the side and the bottom
 leaving plenty of room for the quilter to
 put it on the frame without bothering the label.


I used a whip stitch and sewed it to the quilt back.


 I didn't worry about taking tiny stitches...
just nice and neat and secure.
Remember that it will be quilted also and
 it won't be coming off...
 so don't stress too much over the stitching:)


All ready for quilting!


Press the block...
fold the backing and set it aside until the quilting!


I've already done a tutorial on how to bind a quilt.
and read my tutorial which shows you every step 
of binding a quilt from start to finish.
I'll wait.

Okay...
now I'll show you how to make your scrappy binding!


I used some of the fabrics that I used in my rows and
  2 1/2" strips.


Join them together just like I have showed you before!


The strips are just different fabric
 and shorter than normal:)



When you trim the triangles off...


Put them in a pretty candy dish that you keep in your studio...
 because when your cutie pie granddaughter comes over
this is just the thing she likes to play with while you are sewing:)


Press all of the seams open and then press the strip
 in half with wrong sides together just like I showed you in 


Then to keep it from getting wrinkled and distorted...
wrap it around one of your mini design boards...


And pin it with a cute little bee pin for safe keeping
until your quilt is off of the frames!

My quilt is all quilted...
 bound...
photographed...
 and hanging on my wall:)

Tomorrow I will show it to you
and announce the end of my 
 Bee in my Bonnet Row Along
give away!

See you then...
xx
Lori

***(edit)
YaY!!!
The row along quilt pattern is now in a book!
to reserve your copy.
My book is called Quilty Fun and includes 
new blocks and 10 "spin off" projects
 from the row along!





44 comments:

Sheila said...

I have enjoyed your mystery row along, Lori. Your pictures and instructions are/were perfect. My piecing skills have improved. I looked forward to your row reveal post every other Wednesday. I hope to have my quilt top quilted and bound by Easter because it makes me think of spring. Thank you for a beautiful quilt : )

Jeanie said...

I didn't participate in your row by row but I have to say that this is the cutest row by row that I have ever seen! I just loved each row and even though I wasn't participating, the eye candy was very insprirational. Just wanted to thank you for taking so much of your time to make tutorials for each block and now how to finish it all. It's never too late for me to make this....so... who knows... I may have my own some day. Thanks so much!

Sewn With Grace said...

What a fun quilting adventure this has been. I have learned so much along the way. I truly appreciate all of the time and effort it took you to put together each tutorial, from the very thorough instructions to the many helpful pictures. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself and your creativity with us Lori. This quilt will be such a treasure. Just the other day my Dad commented on the pretty quilt he saw on my blog, the one with the "rows". It meant a lot to me. Thank you!

Renea said...

I can't wait to see how you quilted your Row Along quilt. I still have my tulip row to make and then I can put it all together. This is my first quilt along and I have loved it.

Jacqueline said...

Thank you so much for all of your hard work on this. You are a great teacher..

tealeafquilts said...

I have just loved participating with you on this quilt along. I dreaded the stars and the leaves but I hand pieced the stars while watching Project Runway and I did the leaves last. It wasn't so bad as I had it all ready and assembly sewed them. This is so cute and I really appreciate the time you took to give to others. THat is sew generous of you! This would make a great book! The Row Along Book! Think about it.

Kelly L. said...

Thanks Lori - this has been so much fun! I got all my rows done and this weekend I want to put it all together and add the borders.

Nedra said...

I have the stop borders on, and the label almost finished. (yay!) This is such a fun quilt, and every row has come together so nicely. Thank you for such wonderful tutorials.

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Wow, I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Carrie P. said...

this has been so much fun. I have my bee done and I am going to try to get my information embroidered today.
Thanks so much for this fun row along. Your tutorials have just been fabulous!

karen said...

I've been following your row along from the sidelines. Each row has been so cute, but that bee is the best!

Ramona said...

I am so far behind but wanting to catch up. I have been auditioning my inner stop border choices. I can't wait to get to that point and already know this will be hanging by the front entry in my home. This has been so much fun.

barncat (Lisa) said...

Thanks again for your great row along, I'm behind on my borders but hopefully this weekend I can finish up too!

Betty said...

Thank you for this fun Row Along. I have enjoyed making each row and your tutorials have been excellent. The rows are all together but I need to wait on the borders,backing and binding until next month when life returns to more normal...whatever that is!

Mama Bell said...

I have had sew much fun making this quilt! I have been quilting for years, but I had yet to make a row quilt. Your instructions, pictures and funny comments motivated me to get my row done every two weeks! Can't wait to get mine quilted and hanging. . .perfect time for spring and summer decorating! Thank you for sharing your time and talents!

Debbie Johnson said...

Lori, you are AMAZING!
Thank you for all you teach us BeeBonnetites!
You are such an inspiration to me.
Hugs,
Debbie

Deb said...

Love your BEE label!! Everything has been so very inspirational. I wish I had started back in the very beginning and kept up!! I do plan on having a finished row along quilt one day! Can't wait to see yours on your wall.

Annerose said...

Hallo, das ist ein wunderschöner Quilt. Ich bin total begeistert. Die Farben und die Stoffe, genial. Und soooo toll erklärt.
Liebe Grüße Annerose

Gail LaCroix said...

I have so enjoyed this row along and almost hate to see it end. Looking forward to seeing your final quilt.

Anonymous said...

You have put soooo much work into this and we are very thankful to you! Great pointers, tips, eye candy and fun to read as well. I look forward to the 'big reveal' and seeing how the quilting design turned out. Thanks again!

Unknown said...

I was not able to join in the fun quilt-along but I did follow all your posts and progress. I have to say you make it look so easy and your tutorials are so detailed and easy to understand. I am hoping to make this quilt soon, it is adorable. You have such talent for choosing colors and prints. I love your fabric lines they are awesome and your blog is just plain fun :)

Bonniedoo said...

Your quilt is wonderful.Your instructions are well thought out and easy to follow. I have thoroughly enjoyed every step of the process and can't wait to finish my row-a-long quilt. Even the label is adorable. Thank you.

Karen S. said...

I have enjoyed following this quilt along on your blog!! I haven't started yet but so want to make this quilt!!

Sharon Dawn said...

Can't wait to see yours all done!! The anticipation of each post has been a lot of fun! Thanks!!

ferne said...

Lori, thank you so much for this fun project. I have some rows to catch up on, but they are so much fun to sew on a gloomy rainy day! This was probably a lot of work for you to put together so I just hope that you enjoyed as much as we all did. I really appreciate you sharing your talents.

Gma 3 said...

Did I miss the tut for bee block? Can you point me to it? Thanks.
Carolyn

Villas in Tuscany said...

I have enjoyed your mystery row along, Lori. Your pictures and instructions are/were perfect. My piecing skills have improved.

Jeanne said...

Great quilt!!!

Jeanne said...

Great quilt!!! It makes me smile.

Jeanne said...

This quilt makes me smile.

Jeanne said...

This quilt makes me smile.

Micupoftea said...

WOnderful...thanks for the encouragement and tutorial :)
HAPPY SPring~

Barbara said...

I love it all!! The colors, the patterns you chose...everything!
I love your photo also...great Job!
Thanks for sharing!

Jeanne said...

I love the tulips and the baskets and the cups. The gingham border is just darling. Then there is the bee block label. This quilt just makes me smile.

Joobee said...

I really enjoyed watching this quilt come together. Beautiful colors and lovely settings. I am inspired to create a similar label using a dragonfly in place of the bee for a quilt I am finishing. Thank you for the inspiration!

MaggieOz said...

Great job on the quilt Lori thanks for your awesome patterns and easy instructions happy stitching Maggie.x

Anonymous said...

This has been a trip down memory lane for me as I have used scraps from my daughter's dresses I made for her many years ago. I am still working, and the highlight of my week was on Wednesday mornings before I went to work to see the latest row you posted. I have not had this much fun in a long time. Thank you for sharing such a great design.

kathy said...

The row along quilt is absolutely adorable. I have enjoyed watching it being made. Perhaps I will get to mine soon. My favorite row is the tulips. Tulips are one of my favorite flowers.

phyllisellingson said...

your finished quilt is absolutely darling! i love all the happy colors and your cute designs. thank you for sharing all of your ideas and encouraging us. i haven't actually MADE a quilt yet, but i sure have enjoyed seeing yours take shape and unfold before our eyes. thank you!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog ~ it is always cheerful and helpful. Who can't help but "bee" a better quilter with your awesome tutorials!

webolton said...

H....is for Hope I win a copy of Kristyne's book....S..is for Stitch. L...is for Love reading all these blogs.
(Smile) Anne Marie
webolton@cyberg8t.com

Applikaye said...

Your row along is just darling. I love everything about it.

Sasha said...

Oh gosh Lori! Could you have made a cuter quilt??? I love the little bee so much! I can't wait to have mine all stitched up. I think I already want to re-pick fabrics for row 1. I'm terrible lol!

Kathi Kraftyzales said...

I finished my quilt top, and label and binding. Ready to put it all together. Started late, in mid-April, and love making this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails