Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Quilty Barn Along...Block 4...Churndash...and the Sashing Tutorial!!!



YaY!
This is block #4...
with sashings added!
But before we talk about the sashings...
let's construct the block and build the barn.



The block is a traditional six inch 
"Churndash" block...
it also goes by the name 
"Monkey Wrench"
I have already done a tutorial for the block.

to go to the tutorial and make your own churn dash block!

I'll wait:)


Back so soon?...
Good job:)
Now add your barn strips...


and 


Don't forget to add the background borders like


Now all about the sashing:)
This is a simple but effective way to finish off your barn blocks...
Scrappy 2 1/2" strips!
You might recognize this finish from 
the bumble bee block from my row along quilt:)



Cut 2 - 2 1/2" x 16 1/2" strips and sew them to the top and the bottom.
Press towards the outside strips.
 Cut 2 - 2 1/2" x 20 1/2" strips and sew to the sides.
Now you have a 20 1/2" x 20 1/2" block that will finish at 20" square.
The best part is that you will be adding the sashing to each block as we go...
and won't have to do it all at once:)
YaY!


****Important...
Now pay attention because there is a method to the sashing
 that you will need to know about.
When adding the sashings to your barns...
you will add them to the top and bottom first and sides last...
ON EVERY OTHER BLOCK.



On the OTHER blocks...
 you will add the shorter strips to the sides first 
and 
then add the longer strips to the
 top and bottom last....


Like this.


That way...when you sew your barns together...
the intersections of the sashing strips form a basket weave kind of look.
Cute huh???


I love the way that the strips add color in-between the barns
 but do not take away from the 6" blocks.

 I went ahead and joined my 4 barns together.
I will sew barn #5 and #6 together and sew to one side of these 4.


I am making 12 barns total...
4 barns down and 3 across.

When they are all sewn together...
the quilt will measure 60" wide x 80" tall.
I will wait and see what that looks like and then decide 
if it needs more strips around the 
outside of the quilt for a final border or not.


I hope this gives you a good visual on what
 my quilt with the red barns will look like.

As I have said in the beginning of the
I will be making another quilt where
 the barns will be different colors...
and I'll be changing up the block
  a bit...
so stay tuned to my Quilty Barn Along 
and get to buildin!!!
xx
Lori

20 comments:

trish said...

Love love love love!
Those borders are so
stinking cute! :0)
Getting started now!
Thanks Lori.

Ellyn said...

there goes my day..... thanks Lori!

Missy Shay said...

I love the sashing, I think I'll do mine in different blacks, I hope that works! I bought some real cute black with cherries I can use in addition to some others. I already set today aside to work on my barns!

krislovesfabric said...

So glad you chose churn dash next...it's my favorite!! I am going to have to think about that sashing as I have gone with a more limited palette...hmmmmm....your barns look so beautiful together!

Lorna McMahon said...

Love your barns, Lori.... And all your designs, actually! Thanks for sharing. Love all the pictures and bright, pretty fabrics.

Scojean said...

Cool tip on the sashing - Thanks!!

geoann mellenthin said...

I wish I could stay home and just piece piece PIECE! Another great block with one of my all time favorites - just finished a baby quilt with churn dash.
THANK YOU Lori!

dream quilt create said...

Too cute! I have never seen sashing like that before. I really like the basket weave method.

Swedish Scrapper said...

Love ! These are fantastic! Thanks for sharing the quilty barn along!

Cori said...

The sashing is great thank you

Becki @ the beach said...

these are soo darn cute and the sashing method means no matching seams too.......my favorite! thanks!

Unknown said...

Love these blks so far. I'm going to have to get started on making them since I've never made a barn quilt before. Now to decide on fabric!

Emily said...

Just wanted to drop in and say HI. I haven't been doing your quilt along, but have LOVED seeing your little barn blocks. :) May have to plan a "barns only" quilt...

Sasha said...

These blocks keep getting cuter and cuter!!!! I ordered a bolt (yep a whole bolt) of the Clean White, but it hasn't arrived yet. I hope it comes soon!!!

greg @ grey dogwood studio said...

The sashing is perfect! Easy, colorful and uses up lots of scraps! This is gonna be a fun quilt.

Nanette Merrill said...

You know I've been a bad girl and I've worked ahead. That doesn't always work out but it will for me here. Thanks for showing the sashing. I am excited to work on my barns!

Pots and Pins said...

This is just too dang fabulous! I really should spend more time in my work room and less time in the kitchen...for many reasons! I'm beginning to LOOK like a quilty barn! I think I have some barn buildin' in my future!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Cute stuff Lori! ~Maryjane xox

Greenmare said...

oh my gosh I just love these barns! so cute and the colors are just perfect!!!

JanAngel55 said...

Just finished my fifth barn. I think this barn has been so far, m most favorite one to make. Love the ready made sashing--don't know why someone didn't think of that a long time ago. JanAngel55

Related Posts with Thumbnails