Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Easy 6" Churn Dash quilt block Tutorial!!!...


Don't you just love the churn dash block?
It's been around forever and I've seen many made by my great grandma, my grandma and great aunts make them using templates.


But as you know…
I like to rotary cut!



I thought you might be interested to see how I make my churn dash block!
I cut the center square 2 1/2".
(Also cut 4 corner squares and 4 background squares for the half square triangles in the corners at 2 1/2")
The rectangles are cut 1 1/2" x 2 1/2".



After I cut all of the pieces...I lay them out on my mini design board to "audition" them and make sure that I'm happy with each fabric and the placement.

When piecing half square triangles....
I use the same piecing method that I have taught for years and the same method that I use in my pattern instructions...
which is the easy corner triangle method.

I'm sure most of you have heard of this method...
it's been around for years too.
(just like me...ha!)

Basically that means whenever possible...
I cut squares instead of triangles and stitch them from corner to corner and then trim the seam allowance off...
and press the triangles open to
 reveal a half square triangle!


As you know when cutting triangles it's a little more difficult to stitch them accuratly because they are prone to stretching because of the bias cut...
but this way they are stitched across the bias first and then trimmed...
therefore...
no stretching and complete accuracy!

Of course I still cut triangles when I can't use my easy corner triangle method.


I clothesline stitched all of the squares together from corner to corner.
I use the Angler 2 to help keep
my stitching accurate.

 My Bernina is built into the countertop in my studio so it's easy to keep the Angler 2 on it all of the time.


I keep my cut pieces on my design board right next to my machine when I'm piecing...that way...I know exactly how the pieces go together and which piece to sew to what side and all that!
  I came up with the idea to make mini portable design boards in 1999 when I started teaching a series of
8 week beginning pieces classes.
I found that most of the time that my students made a piecing mistake was when the pieces were getting accidentally turned around in between cutting, pressing, sewing, and back over to pressing again.
I thought if they could just put thier cut blocks on a design board...and keep them on there between each step...it would be so much easier and there would be alot less
"un-sewing" going on.
So that's what I did and they worked out very well and I have been making them and using them in my teaching ever since!
By the way...in most of my patterns I have given directions on how to make them.


I clothesline sew everything that I can and then place the pieces back onto my design board.


And pick up the board to take over to my iron all at the same time.
I clip them apart...



and give the half square triangles a quick press to set the seams before I trim off the excess.


When I trim...I don't measure,
 I just eyeball a 1/4" seam allowance.
 No worries...it doesn't have to be accurate because it has already been stitched!


Then I press open my half square triangles ...usually with the seam allowance towards the darkest fabric....and place them back into the proper place on my design board...this is done with a quick glance at the block pattern to make sure all of the pieces are going the right way!


It also helps to have all of the pieces laid out in front of you on the design board so that you can decide the best direction to press your seam allowance's for less bulk within the finished block.


After each segment is pressed...
they go right back onto the design board....


and back over to the machine for more clotheslining...
or chain piecing...
whatever you want to call it:)


And again...from the machine, right back on to the design board....


And back on over to the iron....


And sew on...


and sew on...


And sew on:)






And we have a finished block!....
no pieces turned the wrong direction....
which means no un-sewing...


Which also means no stretching or distorting of pieces....


Which means an accurate block that will fit perfectly into the quilt!...and after all....that's what we all want right?
The mini design boards really do make a difference and I hear from my students all the time about how much they love them and how helpful they are.

So...if you think this looks like fun...and if you are so inclined to try something new in the way that you piece your blocks....and you wanna try it...
And I'll show you how to make your very own
 mini design board:)
xx
Lori

42 comments:

ria vogelzang said...

That's really a lovely block AND great instructions!!! ;))
Thanks for explaining it with so many pictures.
And I'm sure to look at your new post! :)
Enjoy your stitching!

Maria Harrits said...

Yes, love these mini deisgn boards!

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

Your block is lovely! But I am in love with your design board! Can't wait to find out how to make one of my own!

Carol said...

Love your mini design board...I'll be back! Thanks Lori!

trish said...

This has been very helpful. :o)
There are so many thing about quilting that I am learning on my own as well as through tutorials such as yours and I really appreciate your step by step and explanations of why things happen the way they do and how to make it work. :o)
Thank you Lori!
I look forward to seeing your tutorial for a mini design board!! :o)
Have a nice week.
Sincerely, Trish

Mommarock said...

I have this book too, and have all of the template pieces cut out. I started it months ago, but had very little fabric to choose from to make it. I didn't like what I was seeing. I was stitching all of the pieces by hand. I love the fabric that you have chosen! LOVE IT! It looks like perhaps they were feed sacks that a farmers wife would have gotten.. what a genius idea!! I am a fairly new quilter, but now I am thinking there are fabrics that are feed sack fabrics that would be fantastic for this project!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED reading about your triangle method. I can't wait to try it out. Thank you!

Evelene S said...

Your blocks are adorable and thanks for the tutorial. I am looking forward to learning how to make a design board.

Anne said...

Love your block. I have been sooooo tempted to jump on this bandwagon. Instead I am making a bowtie block a day with Anna Lena.

Jocelyn said...

Brilliant! I have always laid out my blocks, either on a bed or the floor. It sometimes means a lot of hopping up and down from the cutting board, to the machine to the iron, back to the machine, back to the iron.... well you get the picture. I look forward to your tutorial on making the mini design board :-)

my happy bluebird said...

Hi, Lori! I LOVE this post! I spent a few hours yesterday trying to decide if I should jump on the bandwagon for "The Farmer's Wife". I think I will try your block because of the great instructions -- and would love to see the instructions for the mini design board. I am sooo happy that your music is back!

Linda :-)

DJ Rose said...

Beautiful! (As always) I can't wait to learn how to make the design board.

Candice said...

Hot diggity dog!!! I am so super excited- I was getting ready to buy a pattern just to learn how to make a board :). Oh, I can hardly wait to do this- I pieced a block the wrong way just this weekend- soooo need that board :). And I am jumping on the FWQAL wagon- just gotta get my fabric. It's going to be a huge challenge for a beginner like me, but I am hoping all I learn from wonderful quilter's blogs, like yourself, will help pull me though :) Thanks again!

Candice said...

Hot diggity dog!!! I am so super excited- I was getting ready to buy a pattern just to learn how to make a board :). Oh, I can hardly wait to do this- I pieced a block the wrong way just this weekend- soooo need that board :). And I am jumping on the FWQAL wagon- just gotta get my fabric. It's going to be a huge challenge for a beginner like me, but I am hoping all I learn from wonderful quilter's blogs, like yourself, will help pull me though :) Thanks again!

Candice said...

Hot diggity dog!!! I am so super excited- I was getting ready to buy a pattern just to learn how to make a board :). Oh, I can hardly wait to do this- I pieced a block the wrong way just this weekend- soooo need that board :). And I am jumping on the FWQAL wagon- just gotta get my fabric. It's going to be a huge challenge for a beginner like me, but I am hoping all I learn from wonderful quilter's blogs, like yourself, will help pull me though :) Thanks again!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Thanks for all the great tips Lori!

Sara said...

That is a really quite interesting technique!! Thank you for showing it off:)

Nedra said...

What a wonderful and very informative post Lori! I almost felt like I was sitting right next to you sewing (how I wish!)
Love, love your fabrics.
I've contemplated joining the FW bandwagon, but I'm still sitting on the fence.
Your design boards are fabulous.

busyascanbe said...

So fun to read your post as always! I will be back to see how you did the design board...and i really like your fabric choices for this quilt.

Jodi Nelson said...

Love your block! It's adorable! As soon as I came home from our visit last fall, I made a design board right away. LOVE it. Thanks for sharing. ;o)

ferne said...

That print fabric is sooo cute! and I can't wait to see how you make the design board, looks like something I could really use!

Maxine said...

I should jump on the band wagon and join in the Farmers Wife...but really can't wait for your instructions for the design board..Where do you come up with such great ideas?????

quiltmom anna said...

Excellent tutorial Lori- the importance of pressing is paramount with quilting- especially when making smaller blocks that have lots of pieces.
It is a popular pattern these days- this Farmer's Wife Sampler.
Hope all is well and that your fabric line is continuing to be a hit.
Will you soon design another one?
Regards,
Anna

Carrie P. said...

Love the fussy cut fabric in your block. Can't wait to see more.
And I can't wait to see how to make the little design board.

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh love the block, especially with the hive in the middle. Sew cute. Shelbie made me a design board for my birthday. I remember now I need to blog it.

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I need a mini design board and I love, love, love your fabric choices for this block.

PamKittyMorning said...

Love your block and your fabric selections. And you ! xo

Sandy said...

What a great block...and of course I love your choice of fabric! ;o)
Thanks for all your tutorials and great way of teaching on your blog...can't wait to see how to make your mini design board!

Jody.Kippels said...

i love, love , love the fabrics. Can you tell us what they are and where to find them? Thanks

Nancy said...

The fabric is so bright and happy. Would love to have some of that.

Sherri said...

It was so fun talking yesterday! You gave me so many good ideas. The mini design boards are as cute as can be, too!

Bari Jo said...

Thank you soooo much! I am so excited to make some boards of my own - sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the info on the FWQA and how you did your block! I am intimidated by the templates and would like to jump in if I can rotary cut! Thanks for the great blog - love to read it! Also - love your hexagon tutorials... found them months ago and have been really enjoying making hexagons thanks to you! :O) Bari

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I"m so excited! I think these mini design boards are so clever! And they will be so helpful!

Jan Marie said...

Watching you do this makes me want to do the FWQA too. I am afraid to start a new project though. Love the red and white fabric with the writing. Do you know what line it is?

tijerasycuchara said...

I like your work, it is very beautiful.
I congratulate.
Thank you for to share
good bye
Josefina

Rae Ann said...

Your block is darling and I love your fabric choice. It is almost as cute as you! I think you need a friend to do this with... hehehe!
I have to get that book... looks like a great project!

Marci said...

i NEED that seed fabric...where did you get it?
or who made it? please tell me it isn't something you bought five years ago and it's not available anymore.:D
i hate it when that happens!

Rebecca said...

Thank you for the mini board tutorial! I have been looking for the fabric that has the writing on it [it's red and white....with the word "seeds", etc.] and I can't find it! Can you let me know how I can track it down? Thank you again! I always enjoy your posts and appreciate your beautiful work & fabric!!

corners of my life said...

Such a perfect color choice for this block.

Carla said...

Love the block and Mini board!

Rose :: Craft said...

Love this block: fabric, colors and design! Yes, something to frame.

Kristi said...

I am just loving these barns.....can not wait to try these one day!!! Thanks for sharing

Related Posts with Thumbnails