Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Quilty Barn Along...A New Barn Block Tutorial!!!...


Well good morning...
it's time to rise and shine and get those chickens fed! 
(and don't forget to milk the cow)

Climb onto your tractor and 
get back to the house because...

Today I'm going to show you how to 
make the newest 
 with a silo and a quilty door:)


Here are my barn pieces 
all cut and ready to go.
I chose to make my first barn 
for my new quilt
green. 
 I wanted to make my silo the 
same color but a different print...
so I chose my Sew Cherry
 green gingham.
The green solid works perfect 
for the silo and the cupola roof.



For this barn you only need 3 sizes of background.
Cut 2 - 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"
Cut 2 - 3 1/2" squares
Cut 4 - 1 1/2" squares
(for some reason it only looks like 2...but trust me...you need 4:)


For the barn you will need;
Cut 2 - 3 1/2" x 6 1/2"
Cut 2 - 2 1/2" x 6 1/2"
Cut 2 - 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"


For the silo and cupola;
Cut 1 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Cut 1 - 4 1/2" x 12 1/2"


For the roof pieces;
Cut 1 - 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"
Cut 1 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"



Choose your fabric for the window;
Cut 1 - 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"
I chose a sweet little floral with
 pink, raspberry, green and a few light aqua flowers.
I then picked the same colors for my block.



For the block you will need to cut only 2 1/2" squares.
Cut 1 - for the center
Cut 4 - of one color
Cut 4 - of a contrasting color
and 
Cut 4 - background


This is another block that I have already given a tutorial on.
I just changed the direction of the 4 outside squares.
for the tutorial.
Your block should measure 6 1/2" square unfinished.


Sew a 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" barn strip to each side and press away from the block.


Now sew all of your easy corner triangles...



Trim and press towards the triangles...


Like this.


Now you just have strips and rectangles left to 
to build your barn!



Sew the roof onto the silo.
Press towards the silo.


Sew the roof onto the cupola.
Press towards the cupola.


Sew a 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" strip onto each side.
Press towards the background.



Sew a 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangle
 to the top and the bottom of the window.
Press into the window.


Sew the barn sides to the window and then sew the cupola to the top.
Press towards the window and the cupola.



Sew it to the top of the door section and press away from the door.
Now you can sew your silo onto whichever side you prefer...


And your barn is built!
I pressed this last seam open:)
Your barn should measure 14" x 14" at this point.



Remember that this 
second barn finishes the
 same size as the
(14" finished and 14 1/2" unfinished)

You're welcome:)


And there you have it. 
I can't wait to see your new barns on the flickr group!

I hope to have the tractor block tutorial
 for the label on the back of the quilt up soon!
 Next Wednesday I will be posting Quilty Barn #8 ...
and the next Wednesday I will post Quilty Door Barn #2.
Yep!
That's right!
Every Wednesday will be
Quilty Barn Along Day:)

Yee-Haw! 

Have a quilty barn & tractor ridin' kind of day...
xx
Lori


Pin It!

22 comments:

tales from a handmade home said...

Well this looks such fun, fabulous blocks, I'm a newbie to patchwork and quilting but I would love to have a go at making one of these blocks.......thanks for the tutorial.
Kim

Patty C. said...

Cute !

krislovesfabric said...

O yay, o yay!!! Thank you :)

Wendy Kruskie said...

Thanks so much! So glad I found you, these are too cute. I should leave work early and go sew LOL.

The Pink Chick said...

Love the barn blocks!!! OMG....I ADORE your iron collection!!!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love the John Deere Green barn! Huge smile because of the cuteness factor!

Cassie Altenbernd said...

I LOVE the silo and pretty pink rose window :) Thanks for the tutorial and inspiration!

KatieQ said...

Thank you Lori. It's always fun to see the new barn block. I really like having a silo on the barn.

Ellyn said...

oh man. I love it but CAN I KEEP UP???? you know I'll try!

Jacqueline said...

It is so nice of you to share your talents with us.

Thanks

Joni said...

Thanks Lori for the great tut!
I love the silo and will start making more of them to add to the mix. You're an inspiration!

SarahVee said...

EEEEEEE! More Barns! Thank you so much. These blocks make me smile. I love seeing them come together. I'm so excited that there will be another Quilty Door Barn! Now I'm already thinking about my next barn project. Thanks Lori!

AnnieQuilts said...

Wow! Just looked at all the Flickr group pictures; what amazing creativity.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Terry said...

I finally jumped in and have 5 barns made and I will be happily making the barn and silo blocks. Thank you.

Trina said...

Love your blocks, I have started making the barns and each one is cuter than the last. Thank you. rusticroosterquiltshop.com

Sally said...

Thank you--having both barns will make it that much more special!!!

Joyful Mom said...

You're the best Lori! Thanks for the new quilty barn block :)

Sigrid said...

Lori - you just can't imagine how happy you have made me. A tutorial every week now. I just love it - Thank You.

Jeanna said...

Just adore the block! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

JanAngel55 said...

Lori, I am very glad there is a new ban block to make each week. The new barn door block was quick and easy to make. Thank you for these tutorials, I'm learning lots even though I have been quilting a long time!

Key Elements said...

Dear Lori,
You do not know how much you have inspired me to get back into quilting! You are so creative, I just love everything you do. I have sewed 3 barns and tonight I am going to do a silo. Your fabric choices are so cool - I am still working on getting that part just right - I am not so happy with my choices but I have to choose from my stash and that is part of my problem.
Thank you sew much - I look forward to your every post!
JulesMcTool

Related Posts with Thumbnails