Friday, May 8, 2015

Farm Girl Friday - Week 2 -Simple Farm Girl Pillow and Scrappy Happy Hearts Mini Tutorial!






Good morning and welcome to 
week two 
of  



Brought to you by 
Bee in my Bonnet
and

Today I have a 
few more things to 
show you that you can
 make from my book.


But first let's talk about
 which Farm Girl blocks 
that we will be 
playing with this week!

We will have two 
from now on and
 first one up is
Autumn Star 
on page 9.


As I told you in my last week
I'll be making 6" blocks
from my upcoming 
fabric collection

This is my Autumn Star:)


I also made a 12"
Autumn Star block.
I'm using 



And making another 
Square Dance Quilt
from page 18.
I'll be making the
same version
as this one...


 I'll be sewing each 
farm girl block
that goes in 
the Square Dance
mix and match setting
 as we come to that
 particular block
 during our sew along:)


The other block is of course
Baby Chick
on page 10.


Here's my 6" 
Modern Mini's block:)


This is my Farm Fresh
mix and match setting
on page 108 of the book.


I love the sweet yellows
paired up with the pinks.
I think this would be
so fun for a baby girl quilt:)


After I made my 6" block
I decided to 
whip up a 12" Baby chick block
and make it into a 
quick and easy pillow:)

I'm showing you 
how I made my 
Simple Farm Girl Pillow
 just in case
 you want to make one too!



After I sewed my block
I cut 2 - 2 1/2" x 12 1/2" 
strips and sewed to the sides.

Then I cut 2 - 2 1/2" x 16 1/2" strips 
and sewed to the top and bottom.
I ended up with a 16" square.


I marked the lines for embroidering
and decided to do them by machine 
instead of by hand …
just to show you another option.



I used brown thread
(to match the beak)
and did a small zig-zag stitch.
I set my stitch width at 2 
and 
my stitch length at 1
 on my Bernina.
I also backstitched 
where I stopped and started.



I quilted my pillow top…
but my picture turned out fuzzy:)
For the back of my pillow
 I cut 1/2 yard of fabric in half…
so basically I used 2 fat quarters.
I folded them each 
in half with 
wrong sides together
(18" tall x approx 10"wide) 
and pressed them like this…
folds meeting in the center.


Overlap the folds over the center
 of the quilter pillow top.
Your back should be
 larger than the pillow front
all the way around.
Pin into place.

Flip over and sew 1/4"
from the edge of quilted pillow top... 


Remove pins and trim backing even with
the front of pillow edges.

Now you can turn it 
right side out through the
 pocket opening in the back.
Use the opening to insert
a 16" pillow form.


I put the pillow in my
 sunny cottagey kitchen.
Now it's keeping 
company with my 

This Simple Farm Girl Pillow  
will work with any
of my 12" Farm Girl Blocks:)
If you make one…
use the hashtag
#simplefarmgirlpillow


After I finished with the pillow…
I thought it would be fun to sew a
 "Scrappy Happy Hearts"
mini using my heart pattern
in the Baby Chicks block… 6" size.
It finishes at 10" x 10" 




I cut the strips for 9 hearts
 from my scrappy stash…
and from background I cut:
36 - 1" squares
and 18 1 1/2" squares
for the easy corner 
triangles on the hearts.

For sashing I cut 6 - 1" x 2 1/2"
for in-between the hearts
and then Cut 2 - 1" x 7 1/2"
for in-between the rows.
Then I cut 2 - 2" x 7 1/2"
and sewed to the sides and 
2 - 2" x 10 1/2" and 
sewed to the top and bottom.



Then I layered it with
 batting and backing
and quilted it.


I cut 2 - 2 1/2" strips of
 red gingham for the binding.
Now I have a cute little
"Scrappy Happy Hearts"
 mini to add to my collection:)
I hope you make one too!
If you do
use the hashtag
#scrappyhappyhearts
on all social media:)


READY-SET-SEW!!

P.S.If you don't have time to sew
with us today…
no worries!
You have the whole week
to catch up.
The most important thing is
 to have fun with it 
no stress allowed!

Hashtags are important!
When you use them…
 your post will go on 
the same page as everyone else's.
That way we can all see it
and know you are 
part of our sew along! 

 So when you finish your blocks…
don't forget to use the 
hashtags
#autumnstarblock
#babychickblock
and always
#farmgirlvintage


This past week I have loved 
seeing everyones
 #apronstringsblock 
on the hashtag page
So many adorable
 scrappy happy fabric combinations!
Keep up the good work/play:)



to see the remaining schedule
 and list of our guest bloggers
for this week…cute stuff!


In other Farm Girl Friday news…
I'm happy to announce that
Kimberly has listened to
 all of your requests
to cut more of the
Farm Girl Vintage FQBundles.

YeeHaw!!

Isn't she awesome?
They will be available at
in a few weeks:)
to be notified by email
as soon as they are ready!
Thank you Kimberly:)


Thanks "sew much" for tuning in for  
week two of our sew along!
Until next week…
have a quilty kind of day!
xx
Lori






11 comments:

Cotton Blossom said...

I am loving this book and quilt along. I am having so much fun. I'm a serious fan! Thanks for the inspiration. You make me think I can and I am. You're a rock star!

Little Quiltsong said...

Oh Lori - thank you again, for the extra versions to your blocks. Now, maybe my husband will get his 'beach pillow' (now who needs that at the beach :)?!) Which Block should I make him - Hmmmmm?
Love the Heart Mini! This will be a busy Quilty Kind of Week :)!

TaunjaLynn said...

Having so much fun with this! Thank you!

Lorna McMahon said...

Your new pillows are adorable! Love those scrappy hearts!

Unknown said...

Lori you are an inspitation. I fell so happy to be able to follow yours sew along. I fell so proud that I end up with a quilt that is a work of art. of course is never so perfect as yours, but i love each one of then anyway. Thanks. ����

Rosemary B❤️ said...

cuteness abounds
Happy Mother's Day week=end too
I just got my book
so I am on fire to get started

Rosa said...

Wow,anyone is just fantastic!

Lisa said...

Happy Mothers Day! I just love everything you made!

susie said...

Farm Girl Vintage is so much fun. I love the mini versions and scrappy hearts!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

I love your new fabric line and the chick made with arrows! I think it's awesome how you use all different designers fabrics in your projects.

This is such a fun quilt along. I had a baby exactly 3 weeks ago and this is the perfect project and pace for me to keep up with. Thanks!!!

Corrie said...

Love how you made the chick's legs. Quick & easy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails