Friday, May 15, 2015

Farm Girl Friday Week Three - and a Farm Girl Apron Pockets Tutorial!!!


YeeHaw!!!
It's week three of our



Today we are working from 
pages 13-16 from the book..


First up is my farm girl block 
number four…
"Baking Day"


It's a simple block and
 it's super fun to choose 
fabric for the 
mixing bowl colors!



Of course I needed to include 
a block about baking…
every farm girl spends plenty 
of time in the kitchen you know:)



Here's my 6" block made from my

I have made so many versions
 of this block in so many 
different fabric combinations…
and I still have fun
 sewing it every time!



Next is farm girl block
number five…
"Butter Churn"

This block has 
three different elements…
the pinwheel center…
the frame around the pinwheel 
and the outside "churn paddles"
I designed it to look like 
a top shot of the butter and paddles
as they are turning.

In the photo above
 I used 3 fabrics in 2 colors 
plus the background.


But it's also fun to
 do it in one color ….



Red…red…and more red!



This is a variation of my
"Sowing Seeds"
Mix and Match setting on
 page 122 in my book.

Notice that I used a
 white print background
for the 6" blocks…
But then changed it up 
for the center 12" block by
using red prints 
for the background.


I love this tabletopper! 
 I think a large red and white 
Butter Churn quilt
 would be amazing!
Or how about blue and white…
Oh wait!
Yellow and White...
or any color and white!



For my 6" block I used 
orange and mint prints from
Modern Mini's

I love this color combination and
 I think it turned out super cute:)



For my 12" block I made 
another block for my 
Square Dance 
quilt on page 118.



Now I have two blocks so far …
 using Feed Company by Sweetwater:)

I can't wait to see your blocks!
Make sure that when 
you post on social media 
to use the hashtags

#BakingDayBlock
#ButterChurnBlock
and of course
#FarmGirlVintage

so that everyone else
can see them as well!


Okay…let's move on
because I can't wait to show you 
what I made with this additional
 6" Baking Day Block
that I sewed this week.


I even skipped ahead 
to next week
and stitched up a 
6" Canning Season block 
from page 17 too...


Because I decided that 
it would be so fun 
to make them both into
 apron pockets!



I used one of my
 "go to" apron patterns
 and sewed an apron 
(just the same as in the pattern)
except for the pockets.

This is how I made the pockets:



After I sewed the blocks…
I cut 4 - 1 1/2" x 6 1/2" strips
and sewed to the sides of the blocks.
Then I added 
1 1/2" x 8 1/2" strips
 to the top and bottom.
They measure 8 1/2" at this point.

These are the pocket fronts.
For the pocket lining
 I cut 2 - 8 1/2" squares. 



I pinned all the way around
 with right sides together…
and left an approximate 
4"opening at the bottom.



I used a 1/4" seam allowance
 and a walking foot
so that both layers would be
 fed through at the same speed.
That helps to keep things even:)

I backstitched where 
stopping and starting 
at the 4" opening.



I clipped a little
off my corners
to cut down on the bulk.



Before I turned my block
right side out…



I pressed my seams back 1/4"
on the lining bottom...



And then on the pocket front bottom.

Make sure that you press
and not iron!

You don't want to stretch
the opening because it will 
be too large and pucker or gather:)



Now turn right side out.
 Roll the edges out like this 
with your fingers and then 
 press with your iron.



See how easy it will be to press this 
opening together flat?

YeeHaw!



Do the same thing with the 
Canning Day Block
and then topstitch them both…
all the way around…
1/8" in from the edge…
and stitch opening closed 
at the same time.


Then sew the pockets onto the apron...



Leaving the top open of course!!!



One pocket…



Two pocket!




Hang your apron 
on your pantry door
so it's there for 
your next baking day:)


If you make a 
Farm Girl Apron Pocket


I want to see it!
Be sure to use the hashtag
#FarmGirlApronPocket



Ready-Set-Sew!!!


But wait!
Before you get started…
to view the schedule
for visiting our 
guest bloggers this week:)

They've got some 
cuteness to show you!



Thanks again for joining me
 on Farm Girl Friday:)

See you here again for
 next week's episode ...
and of course 
every day on my

xx
Lori








13 comments:

TaunjaLynn said...

The apron is just darling! Thanks for sharing with us!

PinksyDoodles said...

That is a beautiful apron!. Your way of making the apron pockets has got me to thinking - I could do the same thing to some of the 6" blocks (so they have a backing) and then use them to make bunting for the kitchen! Thank you for creating such a lovely book.
Sophie B.

pens and needles said...

Absolutely adorable apron! I WILL be making this very soon! :)

Libby said...

Love, love, love "Farm Girl Vintage"

Unknown said...

Just bought your book Lori at Malvern Quilt Show, England - absolutely love it! Vanessa

Unknown said...

Lori, My favorite posts are where you show your sewing space. Have you ever listed in your blog your favorite paint colors? I want to live in a space like yours! I'm also planning on sewing along with you, just received my Farm Girl Vintage book and will spend Saturday getting caught up. Your blog adds so much happiness to my day! hugs from Mary Richmond Virginia

Judy said...

You have such Great Blog posts! I save them all! I haven't started the blocks yet but have the book. I did make 3 of your fabric boards. It was my first time using a glue gun and my hubby's is a larger glue gun, so I had a little glue all over but they will work for me. Next week I start your blocks. Finding fabric has been hard for me.

Jenn said...

I adore the apron!! Have you ever considered making a dish drying rack out of quilt blocks? I'm thinking about it but wasn't sure what type of batting to use, etc. I just got Farm Girl Vintage and can't wait to get started!

Quilts By Laurel said...

I'm loving all your blocks and projects! I have all my blocks so far on my blog: Quilts By Laurel. :)

Diane Andrade said...

Love your book and appreciate how well you have written the instructions, especially what size each component should be.

Katie said...

I am having so much fun with your quilt-along. I love all the quilts in the book (but am making the cover quilt and wondering what I was thinking making 6" blocks), but this quilt-along is keeping me motivated with mini deadlines. The only problem? I see your posts on Fridays when I'm on my lunch break at work and can't go sew the blocks NOW!

Angela said...

That's the cutest apron!!!! BTW I have a pig just like the one in the photo, never thought to make it into a pin cushion...till now! lol

Karen said...

I really really like this design and think it is perfect for baking. Do you mind sharing the manufacturer of the gingham fabric? It is an interesting gingham I think, not the usual gingham. The squares are a good size. Your choice of gingham size is spot on!

Related Posts with Thumbnails