Friday, September 16, 2016

Farm Girl Friday - Farm Girl Vintage " Hauling Day" Block Tutorial!!!


I want to show you something fun that 
we did for our 
Farm Girl Vintage Retreat 
last week.
This is my Farm Girl Tractor 
(without embroidery yet)


The pattern for the tractor block
 is on page 82 in my book



We just celebrated 1 year of 
playing with my book!
I've had so much fun doing
 Farm Girl Fridays and Farm Girl Retreat/Workshops:)

I designed the Cake block and
 did a tutorial here as well.
 to bake a Farm Girl Layer Cake!

Today let's continue the celebration by making the tractor trailer! 


I used the same fabrics for my trailer that I used for the tractor:)


When I made my tractor...
 I made 3 small tire units instead of one - 
 so that I had two extra to use for the trailer.
Background for Trailer: 
(after tire units)
A- Cut 1- 6 1/2" square
B- Cut 1 - 5 1/2" x 7 1/2"
C- Cut 1 - 4 1/2" x 10 1/2"
D- Cut 1 - 3 1/2" x 22 1/2"
E- Cut 1 - 3 1/2" x 6 1/2"
F- Cut 4 - 1 1/2" x 6 1/2"
G- Cut 1 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"



Then I cut a 1 1/2" x 22 1/2" 
for trailer bed
 and
I cut a 1 1/2" x 6 1/2" 
for trailer hitch.


*NOTE - If you are making the quilt with 3 tractors 
you will need about 3 1/2 yards of background fabric.
My background is 
Riley Blake Swiss Dots in Red:)


First step is to sew the "G" background 
piece to the hitch like this:)


Now assemble the bottom section of the trailer like this:)


You will need to make 3 different Farm Girl Blocks
 from the book to fit onto your trailer.
Make them in the 6" size! 
There are so many 
Farm Girl blocks to choose from
 when deciding what your 
tractors will be hauling...
but I thought it would be fun for this tutorial 
to whip up 3 Haystack Blocks
 from page 38 in the book...


So that this tractor would be 
"Hauling Hay"!!!
Something we did every season
 on our small farm:)
After making three 
6" Farm Girl blocks of your choice...
sew the top section of the 
trailer block together like this.


Add piece "C":)


Sew the top to the bottom...


and hitch your trailer to your tractor and
 get ready to haul some cute farm girl stuff!


Here are a few of the 
super cute tractors 
made at our retreat...


A Happy Farm Girl...
 and another tractor and...
 6" blocks getting ready to be hauled!


Looky at this quilt!
Super cute Farm Girl 
 hauling happening here:)


This is my friend Judy's quilt that 
she made from 3 Hauling Day Blocks:)

YaY!!!

I hope you enjoyed my super easy new Farm Girl Friday tutorial and that it's inspired you to make your own Hauling Day quilt:) 

I can't wait to see what your Farm Girl Tractors are hauling on my 

Play along and use the hashtag
#HaulingDay

xx
Lori



P.S. We also made some mash-up blocks from last years Farm Girl Fridays!

The top one is my 
6" Patchwork Pumpkin 
block mashed up with the 
heart from my
 6" Baby Chick block:)

The bottom photo is my 
12" Patchwork Pumpkin 
mashed up with my
 6" Simple Star block:)
All patterns are in my 
Farm Girl Vintage 
book of course!

13 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

Oh Lori - this is so cute and amazing!! Our son and daughter-in-law had twin boys. This will look so cute on their beds. Just love how you can add different blocks on the trailer. The ideas are endless! Now I have another new song to sing - I mean a new quilt to sew :)!!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

These blocks are so cute!

Libby said...

This is "way to much fun". How absolutely cute !!!!

I Just L O V E this!

What a way to start my day ! Hugs to you !

;0)

Block Talk said...

Clever Lori! Too cute for words! Thanks for sharing!

Edie said...

Your tractor and trailer blocks are so cute! The ladies in your retreats must have a blast! Too much fun!

Unknown said...

Love it. The fun just goes on and on. If I could only buy one quilt book it would be this one!

mightymadge said...

I agree that it is all too cute! I love how you have designed the blocks to mash with all the other blocks in your Farm Girl Vintage college.
I did want to ask you (and I am sorry if I missed a post about it) but is there a pattern or tutorial for the so cute farm girl?

mightymadge said...

Thanks so much Lori for the quick response.

Wow with so much on your plate I feel honored.

I'll go look for the the adorable cowgirl now

Unknown said...

Too cute and clever. Your creativity inspires! I love your work.

Natureluvr57 said...

THANK YOU....I love your book and all the great extra's. I made three big tractors and working on all the pinwheels right now. Can't wait to do this. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Lisa Henry said...

Hi Lori! It is Lisa from Connecting Threads, just had to order another big shipment of this book. I am hoping a Volume II is on the way! Our customers can't get enough. We just love your work. PS I'm a Mormon too :)
Have a beautiful week!

Kaaren Jurovcik said...

I just love all the extra blocks! I hope you have plans to put them in a book to go along with Farm Girl Vintage. I would be first in line to buy it even though I have already bought some of them. I've also made a few and found them easy and very cute when finished. (blue cow, purple sheep, blue hen, green pig, red bee, and red cat)

Unknown said...

I just found you and your patterns! They are wonderful. My son LOVES anything family and is helping me design the quilt he wants. It is exciting to see all the different things that you can do with this. Love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails